Versys rebuild help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys rebuild help

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy replacement parts direct from Kawi for the versys?

I laid my baby down on the pavement yesterday doing about 30, and now I have to rebuild the right side.

I got lucky and only suffered a sprained knee and ankle, but I'm crying about my bike. My insurance covered collisions with other vehicles or objects, but not "upsetting the vehicle" - meaning the rebuild for laying it over is coming out of my pocket.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Seen quite a few Versys side covers etc on Ebay, seemed quite reasonable.

Not to sure if the years are interchangeable!

Steve

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM

You should have said that you "swerved" to avoid a car coming into your lane.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Who are you using for insurance if you don't mind me asking??

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM

sartek,

Plastics are relatively easy to find. Check the Internet, find your best price. Once youve done that check with your dealer. My dealer matched the best price I could find on the 'net, and did not charge me shipping and handling. I saved at least $19.95 US on a left upper fairing. (Yes mine "tipped over" also.)

Ride Safe,

Monte

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

A local insurance company called Farm Bureau. The additional 'collision' coverage for unsettling the motorcycle - laying it over - would have boosted my policy costs from $400/year to over $6500/year.

I put in an email to the local dealer to see what they can help me with. I'm still trying to find a way to get the bike back from the tow company that the police called to get it. It's been 24 hours since the accident, and they want $445 in cash to get the bike.

I'm hoping it's just plastic for the majority, but I know the right footpeg was ripped off, and the turn signals. I'm fearing for the tank, since the cheapest I found it for was $385.

Last edited by sartek; 07-07-2009 at 07:53 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 PM

I suspect you know of them already, but these folks sell OEM parts:

http://www.bikebandit.com/

Montani Semper Liberi
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Well the bike is home, and I'm no longer having heart palpitations at the thought of what might need replacing. I'm going to get some pics up when I can. the damage isn't nearly as bad as I thought. The plastic is a helluva lot stronger than I thought it was too.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to BikeBandit.

I got my collision repair estimate from the dealer today. They want nearly $5000 to put it back to like new condition (going so far as to replace the decals that I intentionally removed, and replacing the clutch cover that has a single 3/4" long scratch on it >.< )

Their estimate for "mechanically sound" operation was about $800.

Luckily the parts manager gave me a complete copy of the parts list (which oddly did not include the swingarm) BikeBandit came in at $3300 in parts for the complete rebuild, and a hair over $500 on the "mechanically sound" list.

time to start buying parts once the medical bills are paid off.

I'm going to try and get some decent photos of the bike before I start the rebuild.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM

What year and mileage is the bike? $3K parts plus $800 labor might be a total loss since it's close to 50% of the cost of a replacement. I would estimate how much the good parts left on the bike are worth in Ebay and substract that from how much is a used Versys of the same model year and mileage.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 PM

What state are you in? I am an insurance agent (specializing in motorcycle and PWC) & have never heard of collision coverage that would not cover a lay down type incident.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:57 PM

Just put stickers over the scratches and ride. If funds are tight just replace whats bent and have fun. Worry about the rest in the winter.
Be safe hope the leg gets better
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

'08 With a hair over 5k miles on it. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of scrapping it and replacing it because of Kawasaki's financing through HSBC I'd get hung out to dry on the $6800 I still owe. >.< (AVOID KAWI/HSBC LIKE EVERY PLAGUE KNOWN TO MAN)

As for what state, I'm in Idaho. I'm having a go-round with my insurance right now over their explanation of my coverage. As of Wednesday though, all of my policies with them are canceled over this and I'm changing carriers. Their wonderful fine print wording considers "upsetting the vehicle without cause by collision is deemed an avoidable action. Any damage resulting from upsetting of the vehicle is not covered under vehicular collision coverage."

The overblown estimate of $3300 on parts was for replacing every little piece back to factory original, including replacing things I had intentionally removed, and still have (such as my mirrors, my original windscreen, handlebars). The labor charge on that put it up to nearly $5k.

The $800 repair was to make it rideable again, and that was including labor. the parts came out to about $500.

I'm now officially in the position where I'm just going to have to suffer through the slow rebuild, because I cant afford to take the hit financially any other way.

Last edited by sartek; 08-03-2009 at 07:20 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your laydown...Just an FYI to all you savvy riders...If you ever lay the bike down for whatever reason ( to hot in a corner, gravel, hit some oil, trying to get comfy om the V seat) and the damage is enough to call the insurance co...Always say "A deer, bear, possum,big foot, etc jumped in front of me and I hit it and damn if the damn thing didn't run off afterwards". Don't say you swerved to avoid it, you hit it and down you went. Otherwize you are sol

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 PM

good tip!

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 AM

very, very good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Sorry to hear about your laydown...Just an FYI to all you savvy riders...If you ever lay the bike down for whatever reason ( to hot in a corner, gravel, hit some oil, trying to get comfy om the V seat) and the damage is enough to call the insurance co...Always say "A deer, bear, possum,big foot, etc jumped in front of me and I hit it and damn if the damn thing didn't run off afterwards". Don't say you swerved to avoid it, you hit it and down you went. Otherwize you are sol
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did_Have_Cars View Post
What state are you in? I am an insurance agent (specializing in motorcycle and PWC) & have never heard of collision coverage that would not cover a lay down type incident.
Me either, thats an odd one for me.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
<-- ::but I didn't say that::
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
TNT

Send a message via MSN to TNT
I recently had an incident with a van. The best prices I've found for OEM parts is here:

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...d/default.aspx
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM

www.ronayers.com stocks Versys parts,

Also who is your insurance carrier so we know who to avoid!

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode