Riding w/high beam on in daytime - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding w/high beam on in daytime

I have a friend who, for increased visibility, does all of his daytime riding with the high beam switched on. I've tried it several times since he told me that, and haven't gotten any flashes, gestures, or even strange looks. It doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Anybody else do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
I've done this for years
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Hell I keep mine on a lot at night too, the visibility hit on low beams is simply too much most of the time. I live in a rural area with lots of winding roads, trees, deer etc. Cagers don't flash at night either.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 PM

I don't see a problem with it if it isn't distracting any one else on the road. About a month ago I was driving my truck through the area where the Americade bike gathering was taking place. There were tons of bikes around and somewhere along the way a sport bike pulled up behind me. The head light on this bike looked like it was a small sun. It may have been strobeing as well. I'm not sure because for most of the time he was behind me I was hiding from my mirrors. Hiding from the reflection of what seemed to be a super nova. The back window on my truck is tinted and it did next to nothing to dim down the headlight. Now that I think of it I should have pulled over and let him pass. Seriously this guy took being seen too far where it was causing a distraction and made driving more dangerous. Obviously this was some kind of aftermarket mod and the V's headlight isn't any where near as bad as what I described. You might want to follow one of your buddies with your Hi beam on to find out if it is a distraction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Brothercannon, sounds like maybe the guy behind you had done an HID conversion.
Not only are the lights brighter, but the slightly different shape of the bulb means the curve of the reflector area isn't correct and the light goes in a direction the factory didnt intend it to.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 PM

I use high beams in the day. See me, cagers, SEE ME

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 PM

I've done this on all my bikes. It just helps the visibility. My father swears by the units that modulate your headlight and I've thought about them too. People always pull up and say "There's something wrong with your headlight". I guess that's a good sign that it's working and people are seeing him.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Check the thread on pass button. Several states regulate the use of the high beam headlights. In CO the law states the distance when you can use the high beams. The law does not differentiate from day time or night time use nor it differentiates motorcycles from other motor vehicles. Running with the headlights on all the time can give a patrolman an excuse to stop you and give you a friendly reminder. Light modulators are allowed by federal law. However, they must meet very specific standards to comply. To be seem while riding, wear high contrast colors, drive on the left side of the lane, use reflective materials at night, and when in doubt, use the high beam headlights.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

I do. All the time. I will go low beam in the dusk and at night.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM

I always do just that. Have been since I got my V in '08
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM

Yup me too I go brights during day light hours, as needed at night.. Hey if it gets me seen or noticed better Im all for it.

RedRiguez

Life is short, Live every day like its your last....

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM

I've ridden with my high beams on (during the day) since the first day I started riding. The Massachusetts motorcycle driving manual even suggests doing it for increased visibility.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM

I need my high beams at night, lots of really dark roads around where I live. So when I used to run them all the time during the day guess when the high beam bulb burned out.......... at night, on a dark ass curvy road. So I had to switch to low beams and traverse the rest of way very slowly.
So I don't run my high beams all the time anymore. I'd rather have the high beam work at night when I need it the most.

FWIW - never sacrifice your safety for the "convenience" of cagers. If you need to run your highbeams to see at night, then do it. Cagers certainly won't go out of their ways to convenience you.

As for being seen during the day. If they don't see my normal beams, then they ain't going to see my high beams either. Ride as if you are invisible. Never put yourself in a position to where a cage must see you.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:40 PM

I usually leave my high beam on during the day, and at night when the roads are empty. Otherwise at night I use it as a notifier, flash it when going through 4 ways, when taking sharp corners and someone could be on the other side, when passing etc...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM

High beams here too...All Day long!

It never hurts to BE SEEN!!!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM

I use modulated high beams on everything. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Cagers suck. Especially the ones who text.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode