High Mile Club - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
High Mile Club

Considering one in the very near future. Mostly for fun, uh I mean commuting. How are these holding up in the long run, for overall reliability and engine life? Alright, who's got the highest miles on the odometer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM

I just got my Versys today... So far 25 miles...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Congrats, wish you a many graet rides.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Good idea to have a trend like this!

We can find out how gooood Versys really is... and what to expect coming our way...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

On one of the other threads, I read someone had 20,000 miles already.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 AM

Ours has turned 16,000+ since March 08. It has needed nothing but gas, tires and oil changes. I just picked up a C-10 and lowered the V so the wife can ride it. It won't see quite so many miles now but we like to camp and a small trailer has been the plan. The wife has not been happy with her cruiser ever since she rode the V and my KZ.

The best part is with a seat swap I get to ride the V whenever she's not.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

We have a forum member with well over 40,000 miles on his Versys. There is another thread similar to this. With a little searching, I'm sure you can find it...

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Got a few miles . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppah View Post
Considering one in the very near future. Mostly for fun, uh I mean commuting. How are these holding up in the long run, for overall reliability and engine life? Alright, who's got the highest miles on the odometer?
O.K. I have had my sweet little ride for a little over a year now and have accumulated 21,600+ miles so far. Now real maintenance issues other than standard stuff (plugs, oil, tires and chain) and still running strong. I use it mainly as a daily commuter but have taken a trip to Intervale N.H. to get some hiking boots made. Loving it still.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:05 PM

I just turned 20k miles on mine-its been totally flawless. In the interests of full disclosure, I did fall off, but with the H&B crash bars there was zero damage. And I did have a loose mirror, quite common.

I change the oil & filter about every 3000miles. I lube the chain every 300 or so miles (still on the same chain BTW) with this stuff.

I changed the plugs last week, total waste of time, original ones were in great shape. Also cleaned the air filter, which was very dirty.

It does eat tires about every 5k-7k miles, I'm on the end of my third set.

In short it is the best bike I've ever had, will buy another when this wears out, but that won't be until close to 100k I'm sure.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
In short it is the best bike I've ever had, will buy another when this wears out, but that won't be until close to 100k I'm sure.

Machog
I have a garage full of bikes that have hit the 100,000 mile mark. I used to think that was a great thing.

I have re-thought that now. I have 3 bikes that are now vertually un-sellable.

My Versys is worth the most of the bikes in my garage because it is new and only has 5,000 miles

My Shadow with 130,000 is worth about $500.
My Trophy with 103,000 is worth maybe $1500.
The 1st Gen FZ1 with 105,000 will fetch maybe $1000.

The FZ1 other than looking a little dull has cost nothing to get it to go to 100,000 miles just gas and oil changes valve checks have never required adjustment. I really think it has an easy 200,000 miles in it. Got to love those Japaneese built bikes.

My new theory is to sell em or trade them with ~ 20,000 on em and get a new one. otherwise you end up with 12 old bikes in the garage that you can't get rid of.

BTW I have a 1997 Nighthawk 250 with 3,000 miles on it that I can get $2800 for any day of the week.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 AM

I'm with machog when this one wears out I will get another. Its just a great bike.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 01:24 AM

My sweet V has turned 14.000 mls and my lovely Aprilia Pegaso has turned 75.000 mls

Bye

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffyduck1 View Post
My sweet V has turned 14.000 mls and my lovely Aprilia Pegaso has turned 75.000 mls

Bye
Hi DD, glad to find someone who loves his Pegaso. Check out a book I've written http://kimmiller.id.au/clem

You might recognise the bike on the cover. It also gets a mention inside.

Kim

You can help make Clem a household name

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Nice your publication, on the cover i recognize the Pegaso Strada.
My Pegaso is MY 1996

.... we are OT ...

Bye

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
My new theory is to sell em or trade them with ~ 20,000 on em and get a new one. otherwise you end up with 12 old bikes in the garage that you can't get rid of.
I think if you do the math on that the numbers don't support it.

Let's see, if you buy a bike new for 7 grand and ride it till its worth $1,000 then you've depreciated $6,000.

If instead you change bikes every 20,000 miles you'll have to change 5 times over that 100,000 mile period (including the last bike that you will be trying to sell at it's 20k mark).

Lets say those 5 bikes are all similar value to the original $7,000 and that 20,000 miles on a bike halves its value.

5*7000/2 = 17,500 dollars of depreciation.

The purchase price of $7000 doesnt really matter much here, if you assume that 100,000 miles depreciates about 85% and 20,000 miles depreciates about 50% then the final ratios are going to stay on the order of 1:3.

Now if you really WANT a new motorcycle every 20,000 miles don't let me stop you. Just don't think you're saving money.

Man this three day weekend is killing me, I need to get back to work so I can bore people with this #$%& there.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's some serious over thinking right there...

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:33 PM

You can't think too much when there's legal tender at stake.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
I change the oil & filter about every 3000miles. I lube the chain every 300 or so miles (still on the same chain BTW) with this stuff.

Machog
I don't remember who first recommended the DuPont spray lube, but it was a great suggestion. I love the stuff! I used the Chain Wax before, and each time I did a lube, I had to spend a lot of time cleaning the chain with a brass wire brush and WD40. It always accumulated a thick black grungy coating after only a few miles with the wax. Hardly anything builds up with the DuPont. I just spray it down liberally, wipe it really well with paper towels and then do one more round of spray. With nearly 10,000 miles on the bike, the chain still looks brand new and so does the sprockets.
If not for this forum, I would probably still be using the Wax (which is still a good product, but I like the DuPont better.)

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
I don't remember who first recommended the DuPont spray lube, but it was a great suggestion. I love the stuff! I used the Chain Wax before, and each time I did a lube, I had to spend a lot of time cleaning the chain with a brass wire brush and WD40. It always accumulated a thick black grungy coating after only a few miles with the wax. Hardly anything builds up with the DuPont. I just spray it down liberally, wipe it really well with paper towels and then do one more round of spray. With nearly 10,000 miles on the bike, the chain still looks brand new and so does the sprockets.
If not for this forum, I would probably still be using the Wax (which is still a good product, but I like the DuPont better.)

Double ditto!!! I love the stuff too!!!

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM

I first learn about the Dupont Teflon spray from wedbikeworld.com

Been using it ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode