Got my 2013 V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got my 2013 V

Got this fresh from showroom at zero ODO. Had to push it out the entire mall. Here are my initial comments that you can clarify:
  1. Rear hugger - everything is exposed underneat. I dont know why Kawasaki didnt include this.
  2. Some vibration at low gear on the handle bar and mirror (this could be common)
  3. Instrument is too simple. I actually thought it still has fuel due to the [F] display with a half bar on it. When I fill up, that' the only time I saw the actual fuel bars. I have a KTM Duke 200, and the instrument cluster of it includes average fuel consumption (mpg, or m/100L), current travel time, and rev bars via lcd and not the circular analog rpm, gear indicator. Oh well, cost cutting maybe.
  4. Gear indicator, a very important feature (which costs 100$ on ebay).
  5. Noob question, how do I know if mine has ABS? (planning on getting HEL braided cables.
  6. Looks like the handle bar will hit the windshield with hand guards on it.
  7. Do we really need to break-in this thing, I thought factory already did it
  8. Im 5'7", and Im on my toes
  9. Windshield needs about 3"more height to make it really functional, it blows all the wind on the upper half of the helmet. this is a disaster if you are using a motocross helmet or any helmet with scoop.
  10. Had order fender extender to protect that beautiful oversized radiator

-But I do like the comfort it brings, makes you want to ride more
-The engine response is very good, it's not a hi-rev demanding machine unlike KTM's who likes being rev'd to the moon
-You dont see many people with bikes like this, so the exclusivity is there
-KTMduals rear rack is a must on this bike (already contacted him)

We had mostly typhoon this season,when the sun is up and had passed the break-in period, i'll give it a 24hr 1000km+ ride to get a good feel of its capabilities.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 PM

Love the Yellow Spring.

ABS has the sensor and the slotted ring on the front wheel. (Photo is not a 650 Versys, possibly a V1000).

I believe there is also an ABS decal as well (if equipped).
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 PM

that's a good looking bike ---wish mine was yellow

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:47 PM
MTS

&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
that's a good looking bike ---wish mine was yellow
Paint it, just did mine was all black

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks @CaptKirk for the ABS info. I guess I dont have it :-D (damn i thought I got it as a freebie)

First mod is the poor-man's mudflap, but instead of metal screws, I used velcro sticker and plastic is the 1$ signage placed on men's restroom, was about to test it but on the way to work, rain was so heavy had to change commuting plan. I wouldnt have thought of that cheap mod if not for this site, thanks guys.

@maverick, what hand guards are those? does it hit the stock windshield at full turn?

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post
Got this fresh from showroom at zero ODO. Had to push it out the entire mall. Here are my initial comments that you can clarify:
  1. Rear hugger - everything is exposed underneat. I dont know why Kawasaki didnt include this.
  2. Some vibration at low gear on the handle bar and mirror (this could be common)
  3. Instrument is too simple. I actually thought it still has fuel due to the [F] display with a half bar on it. When I fill up, that' the only time I saw the actual fuel bars. I have a KTM Duke 200, and the instrument cluster of it includes average fuel consumption (mpg, or m/100L), current travel time, and rev bars via lcd and not the circular analog rpm, gear indicator. Oh well, cost cutting maybe.
  5. Noob question, how do I know if mine has ABS? (planning on getting HEL braided cables.
  9. Windshield needs about 3"more height to make it really functional, it blows all the wind on the upper half of the helmet. this is a disaster if you are using a motocross helmet or any helmet with scoop.

-But I do like the comfort it brings, makes you want to ride more
-The engine response is very good, it's not a hi-rev demanding machine unlike KTM's who likes being rev'd to the moon
-You dont see many people with bikes like this, so the exclusivity is there
-KTMduals rear rack is a must on this bike (already contacted him)

We had mostly typhoon this season,when the sun is up and had passed the break-in period, i'll give it a 24hr 1000km+ ride to get a good feel of its capabilities.

Kabayan, kumusta!

Firstly, congrats on your new bike! I have a 2013 V in white. Here 2013s come in blue and white only. The yellow ones were 2012s. Maybe in RP they have yellow 2013s. Just an observation/comparison.

I am 5'9" and tiptoe with both feet, but I can flat foot one side. I have gotten used to it and actually like it this high.

I suggest the following add ons as I've done on mine:
givi d410st
handguards-they do not hit the givi windshield nor the original windshield
engine guards- expensive here, but well worth it.
rear huggers-keeps crap from your underside
rear wheel spools

Good luck and ride safely.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Hahah bakit nasa NJ ka :-D

When I called the dealer and they told me it's black/yellow, initially I thought it's an old stock from 2012. But now I noticed, it's more like black and they probably just repainted the side fairings. The yellow color looks exclusive in pinas, its not similar to the 2012 yellow.

If you're only in pinas i'll invite you to the Motorally next year, 1600km 24hr challenge north luzon loop, its a paired buddy system, now hunting for a versys buddy.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Hahah bakit nasa NJ ka :-D

When I called the dealer and they told me it's black/yellow, initially I thought it's an old stock from 2012. But now I noticed, it's more like black and they probably just repainted the side fairings. The yellow color looks exclusive in pinas, its not similar to the 2012 yellow.

If you're only in pinas i'll invite you to the Motorally next year, 1600km 24hr challenge north luzon loop, its a paired buddy system, now hunting for a versys buddy.
been living here for ages now! I might take you up on your offer 2015 not next year, youngest utol getting married! Maybe we can meet up go for a road trip up north to Baguio or south to Batangas, Laguna, anywhere at all!

Attached are couple of pix of me and my V during a ride a couple of weeks ago. The last one is my other ride a Piaggio mp3 500cc for riding 2-up with the wife and eventually hers hopefully next year when she gets her moto license.

Be safe!

p.s. heard about the lindol! sad for the folks in bohol!! praying for all of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My V with George_2.jpg (42.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg highres_288828902.jpg (26.5 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg highres_288828302.jpg (17.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg highres_280831862.jpg (27.3 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by ESE_VERSYS2013; 10-16-2013 at 08:15 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM

brake pads make a much bigger difference in brake feel than braided lines. Fan of EBS HH pads.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
brake pads make a much bigger difference in brake feel than braided lines. Fan of EBS HH pads.
Thanks and Will trythat when my pads run out in a couple of years, though im a fan of braided lines, mostly for the candy colors

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
@maverick, what hand guards are those? does it hit the stock windshield at full turn?
BarkBusters Storm's http://www.barkbusters.net/products/211.html

made for the Versys
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:

-I thought I might need a rear hugger, but I've ridden this thing for 18 months and every time I clean the bike it's all clean back there.. not even a drop of water or grime.

-Vibs are normal. A throttle body synch might be in order if it's excessive.

-Not much I can say about the instrument cluster.

-Gear indicator... another thing I thought I would want/need when I first bought the bike. Again, now that I have ridden it 18 months not so much. I took maybe a month of riding to figure out what gear I was in strictly from the revs and I no longer try to shift into a non-existent 7th gear.

-I have a couple of different windshields and a couple of different handguards, none of them have hit.

-Different opionions on break in. I did the motoman break in.. which is basically driving/reving it like you stole it. Change the oil at 100 miles and check out all the metal in the pan.

-Adjust the stock windscreen in all of its settings and see if there is one you like. While you have it off, tape up the front, and paint the entire backside black. Makes it look really good.

-Fender Extender is a good idea.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 AM

Ditto the Fender Extender. A must IMO if you want to save the radiator fan from self destruction when a sand particle gets lodged between the moving parts and housing. BTW, congrats on the V.

SS braided lines for the brakes would be a good upgrade. Surely makes you feel more confident in the braking department.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Had mine a year and still occasionally try to shift into 7th.

The givi windscreen made it a completely different, and much more
enjoyable, bike to ride. Highly recommended.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Congrats on the bike.

If I can offer a suggestion, save yourself $100 and forget the gear indicator. Other than knowing that you're in neutral, which the Versys will tell you, it doesn't matter the name of the gear you're in (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6). What matters is that you're in the appropriate gear for the conditions.

Happy riding.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, yup gear indicator will have to go to the nice-to-have list. Ive seen a local shop with the zero gravity touring windshield, saving up for that, parts here doesnt come cheap, he's selling it for $151.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatefriday View Post
Had mine a year and still occasionally try to shift into 7th....
Only OCCASIONALLY...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

this is the instrument of ktm duke 200, a lower cost and lower displacement bike, the instrument has so many useful information, compared to our versys's decade-old-and-heavily-outdated instrument :-(

team green should have put the z1000 instrument on the V, i dont mind paying a few $$$

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode