Helmet Saves Another Life - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Helmet Saves Another Life

Gloves and a decent jacket didn't hurt, either.

As one whose alternate butt (the one up top) has been saved more than once by protective headwear and whose hands and feet have never been mangled, I am often amazed by those who ride without appropriate attire. Hopefully they will never have to find out what it is like to crash.

But this guy gets first place for drama. Taken by one of those corner photographers up in everyone's favorite crashing place in East Tennessee near the North Carolina border. Sorry, I cannot work up much sympathy. That's where I learned to ride twenty years ago before it became an amusement park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z1600537-s.jpg (513.7 KB, 321 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Are you trying to say that this guy was riding over his ability or just not riding smart? I do notice that he lost a sneaker!!! I sure wouldn't want my foot protected by nothing more than a sock!!!

He will probably have to pay to have the SUV driver's shorts laundered!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM

When KB first posted those he did them in sequence. It certainly looks like the ankle was broken. He had on more gear than most. He is just lucky that the truck was in its lane too.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Dumbass squid. If brains were dynamite, he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose........

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Sorry guys, this picture look like a doctored picture. The only way I know to freeze the shattering glass in a pict is using a flash. In daylight and at the distance the photographer must be have have to use a really powerfull stobelight to make this action picture look the way it looks. For the position of the SUV driver hand on the wheel it does not seem the driver of the SUV is protecting himself of moving away from the door. Also there's something funny with the light between the motorcycle and the car. Theres seem to be shadow that makes difficult to point the source of the ligth.

However, I can see how something like this can happen.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM

If I'm not mistaken, that is the exact same piece of road in my icon picture.
I can freeze a propeller on a plane in flight without a strobe or flash, don't see why shattering glass would be any different. The shadows looked consistent to me as well.
I would have expected more of a reaction from the driver, but he could just be a bit lax in his attentiveness. (common) I also would have thought more glass would have exploded into rather than out of the SUV. It could be doctored I guess, but I don't think there's enough there to draw that conclusion.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Here's the sequence of shots.

http://indybikerz.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 AM

From the http://indybikerz.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87,
it looks real. Can't really tell.

Looks like he overshot the turn. Maybe too much speed and also to blast his horn before going into the turn as an early warning. The truck seems to be within it's lane.
Regardless, hope he's okay whether not it is his fault or not. (his helmet did it's job)
Many think nothing bad can happen to them. When it happens, it usually too late.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 AM

It is real. I used to live in East TN and the photographer posted the sequence on a local forum there.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 AM

I am amazed that a photographer was there when it happened! And he got off several good shots! Was he planning to shoot that particular rider?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I am amazed that a photographer was there when it happened! And he got off several good shots! Was he planning to shoot that particular rider?
Pro Photographers are always there. I'm pretty sure the same photographer shot me in the same corner last summer (check out my avatar photo). They make a decent living selling photos to folks like me that want a momento of their time on The Dragon.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 AM

I was in Tennessee on vacation with the family in May 2006 and was lucky enough to drive through "the dragon" in the rental car. There are 2 things which stick out in my mind. First, I had to pull over half way through because the wife and daughter were getting motion sickness from the directional changes while trying to adhere to the 30 MPH speed limit. The other is the sign at the beginning of the road that said something to the effect of " if you cross the center line you will die"
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 AM

It's easy to stop action with a digital SLR. You set it for "shutter priority" and set the shutter speed to 1/1000. The camera will correct the exposure with the aperture setting.

The rider's just flat-out incompetent. He ran off the outside of a corner, which is typical of a beginner....

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Day 8- Chiang Mai - Mae Hong Son
Early morning departure for the spectacular 200-kilometre drive through some of Thailand's loveliest mountain scenery to Mae Hong Son. tiniest and most isolated northern provincial capital. Half the fun of visiting Mae Hong Son is getting there. The road from Mae Sariang passes through dense forest where trees grow to some 100 feet and work elephants are not uncommon sights. Increasingly, particularly over the final 70 kilometres, the road snakes in hairpin bends, so much so that locals refer to it as 'the road of 1,000 turns'. Narrow valleys have been cleared for rice cultivation and distant hilltop Burmese-style temples dominate verdant farmland. Frequently, the road overlooks countryside so far below the traveller feels he is inside an aircraft. Eventually the road descends into a broader valley before entering Mae Hong Son. After an early-afternoon arrival, and checking-in to a hotel, visit the lakeside Wat Chongkham where Burmese-style buildings and chapels are of considerable interest. Afterwards, visit the hilltop Wat Phra That Doi Kong Mu which overlooks the town from a 900-feet vantage point. Gigantic leonine statues guard a huge staircase leading to the temple which offers an exhilarating view of Mae Hong Son and encroaching forested hills.

Took this from http://aaa-thailand.com/to_north.html.

Did this trip by bike about 15 years ago with my family. The Thailand tourism board actually gives your a certificate for passing the 1000 turn stretch of road for this final 70 km to Mae Hong Son. All this is in the highlands so its pretty steep up/down hill.

Nearly loss my life on this trip at 22. Was riding pillion with my brother riding pilot. While leaning in a sharp turn, the bike (Vulcan 750) hit a high bump in the middle of the turn. Loss the front and bike skidded to the edge of that small twisty road. My right knee got caught with a concrete distance to go indicator slab and I was airborne like a bird. Flew down the side of the valley and started to roll down hill. What saved me from a 100m drop was a tiny 10mm diameter rubber tree 15m from the top were the road was. Couldn't move up so some motorist came down to help me. Couldn't walk for two months and knee still hurts when it's cold/rains.

Lesson learned: Since then full riding suit and full face/flip up if going riding out of my small town. I still to ride.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 AM

Looking at the sequence, it was not his helmet that broke the glass. The drivers window was broken by the driver side mirror that racer-bob hit with his shoulder and knocked into the window.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:16 PM

It seems most who opined here have never seen KillBoy's pictures of the Dragon. And, like potus said, he is not the only pro photographer shooting out there.

Take a look at the blog. There is a lot of interesting stuff, some nice to see, some hair raising.

Gustavo

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Regardless whether the pict is real or not. I been riding mountain roads a lot lately. A have picture like that in my head everytime I'm about to enter a blind turn. However. my mental pict have an 18 wheeler in it. Last weekend I was riding peak to peak highway in the CO front range between Golden and Estes park. In a section of it I noticed a big yellow sign saying motorcycle riders use extreme caution. Immediately after the sign I noticed the 500 to 700 feet drop at the side of the two lane black top with no guard rails (they make snow removal impossible in the winter) That drop is my second mental picture after I avoid the 18 wheeler in the first.

Ride safely.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Atgatt
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 PM

DANG that is crazy
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 AM

...and remember boys and girls - push right to go right. And if you're not turning tight enough, push harder right. Look through the turn, to your exit point and beyound, eyes level with the horizon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode