New Rider with questions about buffeting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Rider with questions about buffeting

New rider here with questions about buffeting. First, what is buffeting, and how do the different factory wind screen settings affect it. I am 6'2" and have a fairly long torso, so I sit relatively high. Currently, the screen is set to its highest position. I understand helmet type may affect it as well. Thanks for the advice. Great forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Mostly "buffeting" refers to movement of your helmet caused by turbulent air hitting it. Try lowering the windshield if you get it to have your helmet in 'clean' air. Try standing on your pegs to prove this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE67 View Post
New rider here with questions about buffeting. First, what is buffeting, and how do the different factory wind screen settings affect it. I am 6'2" and have a fairly long torso, so I sit relatively high.
When it feels like somebody is hitting you in the helmet with a hundred pillows, that's buffeting. I'm 6'3", currently running the stock screen at the highest setting, and I get no buffeting on the open road. When a car is in front of me, I get a little, and when a mini van or truck is leading, I change lanes because it gets to be too much. I've also run the Givi D410 screen, which reduces wind pressure on the torso but adds it's own buffeting straight to the face. You'll really have to play around with different screens and settings before you find something that works well. I don't think there's a screen available for us taller guys that will be buffet-free and isn't fashioned out of a barn door.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
New rider here with questions about buffeting. First, what is buffeting, and how do the different factory wind screen settings affect it. I am 6'2" and have a fairly long torso, so I sit relatively high. Currently, the screen is set to its highest position. I understand helmet type may affect it as well. Thanks for the advice. Great forum!
I am only 5'10" and I was feeling a lot of buffetting. My solution was a GIVI windshield from twistedthrottle.com $114.30 which was a vast improvement. I set it at the highest setting. That by itself was working for me. A couple of months later I bought the mra xscreen spoiler for $105 the clip on from the same online store. That again was a vast improvement from just the givi. NO BUFFETTING AT ALL for me.

Now since you're considerable taller, you might have to tweek with it to your liking. Good luck! Ride safely.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Buffeting is when you are in a long ride and you stop at every buffet you find to munch something.

Or, it is the turbulence you feel on your head. A windshield may or may not help and some times you need to add lowers too, it depends on the motorcycle and how the wind flows. Helmet type will have an effect but not s much as windshield and lowers.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
6'2 here and the Tall Parabellum was the best windscreen i used but it is big but it works great....

IMG_1222 by weljo2001, on Flickr

600_106935832 by weljo2001, on Flickr

I'm using a Stock/Givi combo now. drilled 2 extra holes in both screens turned stock screen upside down and mounted. Works well and looks good. The Tall Parabellum worked better though..

IMG_0519 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM

Garage
I am using an MRA screen with the adjustable wing on the top. I am 6" and I still get some buffeting. So I had to modify the bottom to raise it up a bit. I got some metal pieces and made it higher.

A slight improvement from standard. Cheers.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 PM

I bought 4 stock screens and mounted them upside down on top of one another each with a 6" stagger. Completely eliminated the buffeting.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 PM

I'm 6'9", run stock everything and the only time buffeting gets uncomfortable with me is above 75 mph. But in Texas, with everything being so danged far apart, and with high speed limits, that's more often than you might think!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:02 AM

I removed the stock screen and no buffeting. On a long highway ride i'll put it back on because it does take some wind pressure off the chest, but I prefer riding naked.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
I removed the stock screen and no buffeting. On a long highway ride i'll put it back on because it does take some wind pressure off the chest, but I prefer riding naked.
Doesn't the chapping become excessive?
How do you deal with the staring & laughter?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't know which would be worse...mounting up in July heat or November cold
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 PM

I am 6' 2" and I use the givi. It is a definite improvement over the stocker but will not eliminate all the wind hitting your head. It does really help reducing wind on your torso and really reduces fatigue from that. Helmets can make a huge difference in sound, buffeting etc. Buy at least a couple to try.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the great advice

Thanks to everyone who replied with advice and knowledge re: buffeting. All is very helpful!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 PM

I'm 6'3" with the stock screen at the highest setting. No buffeting of the head at any speed; however, I get tons of torso buffeting at +50 mph. Do I just need a taller/wider shield? Or would riding "naked" help, considering I'll put salve on to stop the chaffing!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
I'm 6'3" with the stock screen at the highest setting. No buffeting of the head at any speed; however, I get tons of torso buffeting at +50 mph. Do I just need a taller/wider shield? Or would riding "naked" help, considering I'll put salve on to stop the chaffing!
Seeing as we are about the same height you would likely benefit from the givi. I didn't have any buffeting on my head from the stock screen but could definitely notice issues with my torso and especially fatigue after riding for a while. The givi should greatly reduce the torso issues for you and you can even loosen your grip as you won't feel like you are being ripped off the bike at speed.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

I can't speak to the GiVi screen, but for my modded Yamaha Majesty scooter-screen I find that having it tilted towards me a bit (I look over it about 4" or so), on my Madstad brackets, works as I have very little or no buffeting. I'm about 5'10" w/ 32" inseam. Here's a pic of the set-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01458 copy.jpg (90.0 KB, 50 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Thanks 4DA NXS and fasteddie. I'll let you know what I try. My first effort may be trying the shield upside down like I've read on other forums, only because that won't cost me anything.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlammer View Post
I bought 4 stock screens and mounted them upside down on top of one another each with a 6" stagger. Completely eliminated the buffeting.

you got a pic of this setup?

09 versys (GREEN)
06 vulcan 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode