Maybe The High Viz Doesn't Work - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe The High Viz Doesn't Work

From a short trip out today..Don't worry nobody can hear what i'm yelling at them from inside my helmet.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dang, can't even count on cops to yield ??

Never assume anyone is going to stop, yield or do what they are supposed to do i guess.

Glad you were able to hit the stebel in protest.

I guess if you ever get hit and survive, you can ask them what part of that jacket did they not see. I'm always with my hi-viz too.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 PM

At least in the first clip: you didn't stop at the stop sign...and the car got to his sign before you got to yours and then he continued...and even if you both came to full stops (which neither of you did), he's still on the right and therefore would have the right-of-way anyways. So what are you complaining about?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM

LoL. You should install a red flasher on your helmet , maybe it would help
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Second clip: I think that he saw the stop sign he just didn't see you.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Third clip: given the congestion of traffic merging onto the highway from your right you likely should have slowed down and assumed that at least one of the cars would be coming over into your lane. Or sped up ahead of them; or moved one more lane over also speeding up or slowing as necessary.

But I do dig the horn and need one too.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
MTS

Great videos weljo!

Video number 2 is very disturbing! Those guys that look up and still run into you are dangerous. Its like they have really bad skills! Brain to brake pedal!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 10-08-2013 at 07:43 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlammer View Post
At least in the first clip: you didn't stop at the stop sign...and the car got to his sign before you got to yours and then he continued...and even if you both came to full stops (which neither of you did), he's still on the right and therefore would have the right-of-way anyways. So what are you complaining about?

That clip i saw him hauling ass and just rolled further than i needed or i would have been stopped before he got there. Just wanted to let him know i was there.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlammer View Post
Third clip: given the congestion of traffic merging onto the highway from your right you likely should have slowed down and assumed that at least one of the cars would be coming over into your lane. Or sped up ahead of them; or moved one more lane over also speeding up or slowing as necessary.

But I do dig the horn and need one too.

I was watching and expecting someone to come over they always do. As far as getting over to the lane on the left i was coming up to my exit on the right. Really just wanted to honk at the cop if the opportunity came up.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Give those cagers hell.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Weird intersections

You guys have weird intersections! Stop signs on all corners? Who has to give way to who? We only have stop signs/give way on the crossing road, the main road has right of way through the intersection.

----------------------------------------
Victoria, Australia
Versys 650 (KLE-650) 2012
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorNurse View Post
You guys have weird intersections! Stop signs on all corners? Who has to give way to who? We only have stop signs/give way on the crossing road, the main road has right of way through the intersection.
4 way stops are common here.
Normally 1st come 1st served is the rule, but right of way is frequently over ruled by right or weight. You're pretty much safe if you count on the other players being distracted or just a special kind of stupid
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorNurse View Post
Aha!!!welcome to Californian ideals Cobber!......All roads (& people) are equal so each road is as important as the one that crosses it....they even give equal rights to illegals & gays are allowed to get married!!!(F8ck the Bible, they know better!)

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 PM

You guys would **** bricks if I posted my daily commute here in DC...

Hooligan
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 AM
djg

When I lived in OH, 4 way stops were mostly on 2 lane roads. Up in the twin cities area, we have 4 ways at big 4 lane highways with dedicated turn lanes. A bit challenging. And now roundabouts are coming on strong.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM

4-way STOP intersections aren't that tough to negotiate, provided everyone plays by the rules. You can't count on that, of course, but that's how it goes.
The first vehicle to make a complete stop has the right of way. Other vehicles then take turns based on the order in which they arrive.
If vehicles arrive at the same time, a vehicle intending to cross another's path must yield, or if both would cross the other's path then the vehicle on the right has the right of way.
That's it, really. Problems usually result from people not applying their Kindergarten training about waiting their turn.

In Massachusetts we also have intersections where traffic from one direction has the right of way (no STOP sign) but traffic from the other directions (usually three others but sometimes only two) must stop. These typically happen in locations with steep hills, limited sight distances or traffic that would otherwise back up onto another road if not allowed to continue through the intersection.

There's one such intersection with 4 entrances and 3 STOP signs in my town (diagonally across from police headquarters!). This odd intersection is made worse by the fact that traffic coming up to one STOP sign has just beared left off the US highway up a short steep hill but the turn isn't sharp enough to self-cancel the turn signal. Many drivers arriving at the STOP sign still have their left blinker on though few people ever turn left here. The vehicles that don't have a STOP sign? They just beared right off the US highway up a shorter and steeper hill, and they either continue straight or turn sharply right (a left turn would take them back to the US highway they just turned off). The people coming up this hill have the right of way, but unless they know the intersection or know to look for the back side of octagonal signs (only STOP signs are octagons) at the three other entrances to the intersection, they don't always know what to do and they STOP anyway ("Oh, my god, what do I do now?"), which causes further confusion. Vehicles pulling trailers that are bearing right up that hill and turning sharply right sometimes run aground because the turn is off camber....scraaaaaaape! The turn signal thing comes into play here, too. Drivers bearing right off the US highway often use their blinker but it won't self cancel. If they don't cancel it instantly, drivers at the STOP signs assume a right turn is about to happen, but often the driver continues straight. There are clear rules of the road that govern everything happening here and it all works well until drivers are ignorant of the rules or decide they are more important than everyone else -- and of course that happens all the time!

In the next town there is an intersection (the infamous East Longmeadow Rotary) that's been recognized by Ripley's Believe It Or Not because seven roads come together -- with no traffic lights. Locals understand. Newbies say, "WFT?!"

Such can be the nature of driving in New England towns where lots of roads predate motorized traffic...you won't find neat 90-degree grids in my neck of the woods.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
You guys would **** bricks if I posted my daily commute here in DC...
I lived there for 5 years (Silver Spring, MD) and the driving is actually one of the many reasons I moved back to Cali.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Garage
Gee Weljo ...
I live in the worst canadian province as far as courtesy goes, and it's not that bad ...

LOP
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Gee Weljo ...
I live in the worst canadian province as far as courtesy goes, and it's not that bad ...

LOP
Thats why its easy to loose your temper out here. That was the same intersection on both those videos going to the property and leaving it. Just a few hours apart.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM

The horn sounds great, but I'll bet that cop ran your license plate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode