Rear preload, 6th or 2nd? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear preload, 6th or 2nd?

I have a new-to-me 2008 Versys I got second hand. I'm 255lbs and I'm considerably bigger than the man I bought it from.

So I figured I should consider adjusting my preload. The owners manual and the service manual seem a bit vague to me. I'm new to all this as well.

Judging from the indentations, I know it's not in the stock #5 position as per the manual. But I can't convince myself if it's in the #2 or the #6 spot.

Where it's at now feels super soft, I've also been experiencing some loss of traction in slow speed turns (around 10-20 mph) and off the line from a stop, both good dry pavement and off the line . Replaced my tires too and still having the same effect. So I need to do something about it. Feel free to enlighten me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Pretty sure you are in position 5. I have mine set at 7 and I weigh 214. It doesn't feel too stiff

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 AM

It is definitely not 2 could be 6 but hard to tell from pic

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:46 AM

Looks like position 2 to me. Mine is set on 5 from the factory. Which as I see it, it 5 notches up from the bottom bar.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 AM

The lowest position would be 1. As you go higher up, you are compressing that spring resulting in a stiffer ride. If you go too high, it will jump back to the number 1 mark which would be the softest position. But at your weight, my guess it you would sit on the bike and have the shock compress, but not return to the original height of the ride.

Technically, the way I've dialed in the shocks on previous rides is to set them at a position and then sit on the ride. You want the shock to compress, but then return to the original position. This will give you the most travel at your given weight. If it doesn't compress at all when you sit on it or slightly bounce then it is too stiff. And so on.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Maybe I am missing something but to me....the owners manual shows that as the collar height gets taller or closer to the front of the bike you are moving towards position 1 (weaker) and as it gets shorter you are moving towards position 7 (stronger)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1381154776053.jpg (32.5 KB, 59 views)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:11 AM

Just pulled out the manual and I still read it the same. The highest position up is 7 and the strongest. He is at position 2 only 1 up from the bottom. At least that's what I'm seeing in his picture.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 AM

Wow. Your manual is different from mine. I have a 2013. And mine is labeled opposite from yours I believe. As featured on page 137 of mine they show position 7 at the top.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Yours is labeled completely opposite of mine and appears to be a misprint, unless the shock is different. In any case, as you add pressure to a spring by compressing it (moving upwards in a collar) it will stiffen the ride. You can tell. Place it on 1 and sit on it. Then place it at the highest position on the collar and sit on it.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

I adjusted it to what I think is the #5 position before I left for work. Certainly was stiffer and I believe that it was previously in the #2 spot. I'm somewhat relieved that there are others of us who found the manuals representation to be a tad bit confusing too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 AM

You'll definitely know the difference. It's weird how his manual has the numbers going from a bottom of 7 up to a top of 1 when mine clearly has them labeled the other way.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM

This is a 2011 owners manual, which shows the same as mine on page 138 (After you click on maintenance and adjustment on the left): http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...0&lang_code=EN
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM

I used the owners manual on this forum for the first gen model. They must have changed it???? Not sure why... Here is the link

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/versys-owners-manual.pdf
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DA NXS View Post
I used the owners manual on this forum for the first gen model. They must have changed it???? Not sure why... Here is the link

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/versys-owners-manual.pdf
I already viewed yours and sure enough it is just like what you posted. Seems like a misprint to me. Unless the collar on your shock is opposite to ours. But I can't really tell from the picture. If you are going up "stairs" in the collar then you will be adding pressure to that spring. The lowest/softest setting for a shock on any bike I've owned has been at the bottom of the collar, and there will be a bottom bar there. The highest or stiffest position has always been the spot right before you jump all the way back to the one spot.

Last edited by ZX6RTraded; 10-07-2013 at 09:43 AM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM

Garage
You are at number 2

See your picture croped
Their's only one notch to go down before you hit the highest setting

LOP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.3 KB, 72 views)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Maybe the powers that be on forum want to change the link to the newer manual. Bottom line is the numbers don't really matter just moving it to a stiffer or weaker setting should be obvious
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Maybe this explains why so many owners have such a tough time optimizing their suspension settings

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Maybe this explains why so many owners have such a tough time optimizing their suspension settings

That's awesome!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something but to me....the owners manual shows that as the collar height gets taller or closer to the front of the bike you are moving towards position 1 (weaker) and as it gets shorter you are moving towards position 7 (stronger)

I do believe this is a misprint. I pulled up the 2008, 2009, etc. and they all show the numbers opposite of the 2008 printed manual (As the picture you posted above) according to the kawasaki website. It can be seen here: http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...5&lang_code=EN

Just go to the left of the page that opens and select maintenance and adjustment. It can then be viewed on page 138.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode