First Ride on New Shinkos - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Ride on New Shinkos

Yesterday was my first opportunity to take my 08 with 19K miles out since putting Shinko Raven 009's on her (front & rear.)

Wow, how different! (from the pretty worn Bridgestones.)

I can't tell yet if I like the new feel or not. Simply slow rolling out the driveway I could instantly "feel" a difference. The steering (because of the new rubber) seemed to "stick" to the concrete. Can that be?

The best I could relate it to would be when you get used to driving a car/truck with a lot of steering wheel play then you get in a vehicle that has very tight steering. At first, you're uncomfortable with the sensitivity.

The "test" ride was only 23 miles and I've heard you're supposed to put around 100 miles on new tires before they settle in so I'm looking forward to doing just that.

As a matter of fact, the weather forecast in the Houston area is saying we will get our first cool front of the season tomorrow which coincides with a couple extra days off. Look out Hill Country, here I come!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
Yesterday was my first opportunity to take my 08 with 19K miles out since putting Shinko Raven 009's on her (front & rear.)

I can't tell yet if I like the new feel or not. Simply slow rolling out the driveway I could instantly "feel" a difference. The steering (because of the new rubber) seemed to "stick" to the concrete. Can that be?

The best I could relate it to would be when you get used to driving a car/truck with a lot of steering wheel play then you get in a vehicle that has very tight steering. At first, you're uncomfortable with the sensitivity.

The "test" ride was only 23 miles and I've heard you're supposed to put around 100 miles on new tires before they settle in so I'm looking forward to doing just that.

As a matter of fact, the weather forecast in the Houston area is saying we will get our first cool front of the season tomorrow which coincides with a couple extra days off. Look out Hill Country, here I come!!
Please post an update later after logging in some miles as I am considering the same tires. Based on the reviews here and in other sites, they seem to be better than the stock tires which I still have (5.5K miles so far). I plan to replace them at 7-8K miles. Thanks!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM
RMS

I have the 009 ravens`s also for about 30 day`s on my 09 V,
I am just now geting the feel of them, it is verry diferent from the OEM
dunlops. Slow turn into curves and corners at intersections.
And i can feel every bump on the road, But I am verry happy with
them and I will stay with that brand of tire.Also I set the tire pressure at
the factory seting not the side wall seting of 42 psi

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Why choose the 009 Raven over the 011 Verge? I haven't used either, but my impression was the Verge was Shinko's sport touring tire. The Raven isn't much cheaper. What made it more appealing? Is it supposed to last longer?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I'll gladly post an update as the miles add up. Raven vs Verge? Your mention of the Verge is a first for me. The Raven is what caught my eye here on the Forum. Regarding air pressure . . . they are set at 32 front & 34 rear. Sidewall numbers are max for the TIRE, not for the Versys. On the short 23 mile trial, I can't say I "felt every bump." The ride was VERY smooth.

I do enjoy a good lean when taking sweeping curves and THAT will be MY true pass/fail test. Also, to be perfectly honest, I can best be described as cheap. Both Shinkos only set me back $245, front & rear, mounted & balanced. I had to do the removal & install.

That initial "feel" WAS different but i've pretty good at finding my comfort spot on all the bikes I've had. I think I simply need to roll some more miles on the Shinkos

Wish me luck !!!!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Man I'd like to get the V to the hill country this fall.. im jealous .. enjoy the ride.. you going to ride out or trlr the V to the hill country ..

09 versys (GREEN)
06 vulcan 2000
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Regarding air pressure . . . they are set at 32 front & 34 rear. Sidewall numbers are max for the TIRE, not for the Versys.
Max sidewall pressure 32/34PSI? Oh my! If I were running those I'd check more frequently than usual, as I'd concerned about letting it drop even a couple of PSI.

On different tires once my handling was off, and I traced it to a rear that had dropped down to 32PSI. It had a slow leak--normally I run 40PSI.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:

with them for 8000 miles.

According to the Shinko site the 007 is a sport bike tire (high grip/soft compound/low tread life). Shiko recommends the 011 for sport touring applications which I'm guessing would be a closer match for the Versys mission. I am interested to hear more. When these get to the end of their life and you replace them please post to the tire mileage thread that is stickied in the tech section of this site. It would be good to know how these behave over their lifespan and how long they last for.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product...php?category=1

Last edited by versys_rider; 10-05-2013 at 11:45 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

To davidg: I run 32psi front & 34psi rear. Someone else mentioned the max sidewall psi as 42psi. I DO check my psi frequently. I'm pretty light weight, only around 140 lbs w/full gear. I kinda fanatical about keeping a ride/maintenance log so as the miles roll up I'll definitely keep the community updated.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Which Bridgestone tires did you have? Originals were Dunlop Sportmax D221, OEM only tires.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
To davidg: I run 32psi front & 34psi rear. Someone else mentioned the max sidewall psi as 42psi. I DO check my psi frequently. I'm pretty light weight, only around 140 lbs w/full gear. I kinda fanatical about keeping a ride/maintenance log so as the miles roll up I'll definitely keep the community updated.
Here's a tire temperature chart:

from this seminar I attended in 2012:
http://roadridermca.com/newsevents/c...of-your-tires/

If 42 is max sidewall pressure, 34 at freeway speeds doesn't seem like a good idea. FWIW I don't weigh much more than you and 40 works fine for me (on different tires of course).
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Shinko I will never use them again

This shinko tyres were used 4k miles. Then accidents can happend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0543 (640x480).jpg (160.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0541 (640x480).jpg (183.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0539 (640x480-r1).jpg (81.2 KB, 110 views)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser3 View Post
This shinko tyres were used 4k miles. Then accidents can happend.
What tire pressures? Dual purpose tires especially are often run at low pressures. Tire failures are very often heat related, and heat related failures are usually related to tire pressure.

I've seen other pics of failures of Shinko dual purpose rubber, and wondered if it was about tire pressure.

Was that a bias ply 705 rear used on the front? What speed rating? I'm told motorcycle tires are only good for 15min sustained use at rated speed, and if pressures are low, safe speed is less.

Last edited by davidg; 10-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Higher pressure are needed for higher speeds and heavier loads... At any rate, there are many such reports with Shinko 705's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
The 130/80-17 is bias ply.
The new radial Shinko 705s do not seem to have the problem of tears and shedding blocks.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 AM
RMS

When I recived my shinkos , the tire`s had a stick on tag with instilation instructions and one line on the tag said to run the tire`s at mfg specs.
So being the dummie that i am I will trust the shinko folk`s to not steer me the wrong way on the tire pressure. And I am not saying that you are not correct about the tire pressure I just think that they (shinko) would like to get good reviews from me.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

To Laser3: Holy Crap !!!!!! That looks like a big rig 18 wheeler tire failure!!!!! Sure hope THAT'S not what's in store for my Ravens 009's. I'll play around with the pressure as needed. First things first though. I need to simply get out there and roll!!!!! The shop that mounted my tires removed all tags/stickers. Sounds like it might be a good idea for me to get a hold of those stickers. Maybe I DO need to increase the pressure.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

three bikes in the garage with Shinko's
run two sets 006 on SV1000s
run three sets of 705 on KLR650 (no issues)
one pair of Apex on the Versys

I like them and will continue to buy and use.

705's tires are can be harmed if ridden on highway "Aired Down"
If a rider wants to Ride at the Limits of Tire Adhesion on Public Roads,

Knock Yourself Out

Post to U-Tube a VDO when you find the Limits

Last edited by Seeya; 10-07-2013 at 06:17 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
What tire pressures? Dual purpose tires especially are often run at low pressures. Tire failures are very often heat related, and heat related failures are usually related to tire pressure.

I've seen other pics of failures of Shinko dual purpose rubber, and wondered if it was about tire pressure.

Was that a bias ply 705 rear used on the front? What speed rating? I'm told motorcycle tires are only good for 15min sustained use at rated speed, and if pressures are low, safe speed is less.
I wrote-up how BAD the 705s are (on DSN_KLR650), and definitely noted that the rear tire would get BLAZING HOT in as short as 10 to 15 miles, at 42PSI, while the front would be merely warm! I had incipient tread separations over about 12 'knobs'.

Would NEVER recommend them!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM

I have 4,700 miles on a pair of 009's currently with no issues other than normal wear.

The tread depth measures 4/32 at this time front and rear and I expect to run this set of tires to at least 6,000 miles.

Geared up I am a 215 lb. rider and run the front tire at 34 PSI and the rear at 38 PSI.

75-80% of my riding is in the twisties, no off road, and these tires have performed well with no surprises.

IMHO the 009's are a very good tire and I will purchase another pair when needed.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.

Last edited by Ziggy; 10-07-2013 at 03:03 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM

I've run Shinkos on all of my bikes and had no issues with any of them. Performance and mileage has been very good and never any problems with cracks or tread separation.

All of my bikes includes a Honda Valkyrie shod with Shinko touring tires, Honda VFR currently with 009s, WR250R on my second set of Shinko 244s, and my Versys sitting with its third 705 rear.
I just removed a set of worn 009s from the Versys prior to installing the new 705 so I would have fresh rubber for a trip through Nevada, Idaho, and Oregon.
Nevada travel included long stretches of 80-85 mph sustained speeds fully loaded with camping gear. I experienced zero problems in those conditions.

I will continue to use Shinkos on each of my bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode