Ride with a passenger yet? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ride with a passenger yet?

Just wondering, I love the performance with just me but I was wondering how it would compare with a passenger, especially on a long trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:32 PM

Like everything else, the only real answer you can get here is - it depends.

How much do you, your passenger and luggage weigh and what kind of performance are you expecting?

Unless you both qualify as feather weight and travel very light, it's not going to accelerate in the same manner as it does riding solo. OTOH, if you have realistic expectations and know how to use the gearbox, it's quick enough under most conditions. I gave a friend a ride to the Chase the Snake BBQ, Machog was following us and he didn't complain about us holding him up.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Talking Ridding 2 up

I am 235lb and with my girl on the back, no issues. Keep the RPM above 4K and you will not have any issues with this bike.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldallman View Post
I am 235lb and with my girl on the back, no issues. Keep the RPM above 4K and you will not have any issues with this bike.
Agree on the RPM's, especially when entering and leaving turns. My fiancee is light enough that I can still manage the bike, but shifting seems harder than with just me on the bike, as is the common need to apply more braking force.

The best advantage to a passenger (beside arm rests), once they get off, your bike feels new again.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 07:01 AM

Performance is fine, Your passenger may appreciate a top box for a back rest.
________
HAWAII MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by furley; 05-14-2011 at 05:12 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 AM

I've ridden a few times with my girlfriend and it has been fine. Brake earlier, keep the revs a bit higher, and be smooth. You'l be aok.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 AM

I've taken my wife a bunch of times, and the bike performs great. I'm 210lb she is 115. I'm also getting a Shad sh29 top box with backrest for her comfort...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldallman View Post
Yea, Kind of like pushing the "TOW / HAUL" button on my truck

If your around 200lbs and your passenger is any more than 135lbs forget the long trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Just wondering, I love the performance with just me but I was wondering how it would compare with a passenger, especially on a long trip.
My wife and I met up with Muskie for a 2 hour round trip ride from Hanover, Ontario to Wiarton Ontario with a stop for a nice lunch in Sauble Beach (Best Beach in Ontario). I was very pleased with with the Versys ability to hande extra weight. I was able to keep up with Muskie on his V and his wife on her Ninja 650r with no complaints from my V. Muskie's wife led the group the whole way and she is known to drive fast as the Ontario Provincial Police have a record of from a $300 speeding ticket she recently received. I have a Givi suitcase and my wife felt that it made the trip bearable. She already had a sore back and being able to lean back on it really helped. Would we go moe than 2 hours at a time? Not likely, but for a 400 lb bike, BRAVO! I am 6ft, 195 lbs and my wife is 5'6' weighing, lets say less than me. Thanks to Muskie and Wendy for beautiful ride and so nice to finally get together.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Machog was following us and he didn't complain about us holding him up
What Gustavo is politely trying to say is that I could hardly keep up and there was no way I could overtake them-plenty of power.

+3 on the topbox back rest-my wife won't ride without one.

Machog

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 AM

My wife has her own bikes, so this hasn't been an issue, but I'm wondering how tall you folks are. I'm on my toes at a stop, and fearful that I won't be able to keep the bike upright when we come to a stop if I've got live weight on the back seat. Same for mounting up. Is this a real issue, or is it all in my head?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:51 AM

I'm about 5'10" and definitely not flatfooted on the V. When you get the extra weight, of a passenger, it will bring your seat height down at least
an 1" and this gets more of your feet on the ground.

If you are still concerned, www.motowerk.com make an excellent lowering (lowers bike by 1.8" I think) kit that won't upset the handling. Or you could go for a different seat. Try it two up first and see how much closer to the ground you are before investing in lowering products.

Machog

Last edited by Machog; 06-28-2009 at 11:54 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Im 5'11" about 195 and have no problems keeping my feet flat on the ground with just me on it. Shes 5'6" about 120 so I think we'd be okay for an afternoon trip according to everyones input, thanks.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM

I'm 245lbs, wife is 105. Bike is fine, no issues. In fact the ride is more comfortable with a passenger, which tells me I should spend a few minutes adjusting the suspenders. My wife actually likes it a lot more on the V than our old FZ1.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Bob

I've taken my wife out for a ride on the V twice now, both rides roughly an hour and a half. Her biggest complement to the bike.. the topbox. Like the other guys mentioned, the top box behind her as backrest and also as "safety net" made her very comfortable on the back.

The bike has more than enough power to handle two people for sure. She mentioned both times how comfortable the ride was on the back. Her only complaint was that she was getting cold... hey it's winter... and that's not the bikes fault

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
I weight 240 had a guy on the back that was 210 had the keep the RPMS up at 4 ran just fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode