Wanting A New Bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wanting A New Bike

Hey folks,just joined your play ground.I'm in the market for a new bike.And the Versys is one of three I'm very intrested in.I've been researching as much as I can on the net and checking them out in show rooms.I have my three choices narrowed down to:Kawasaki Versys,Kawasaki Ninja 650R and the Suzuki Vstrom DL650.To me the Versys and the Vstrom are pretty close to the same type and size bikes.And the Versys and the Ninja share the same engines.Now a little about me.

I've been riding for 1 1/2 years and have gotten a little over 10,000 miles under my belt.I did take the MSF course before I got started (did'nt want to learn any bad habits).A buddy of mine that got me into riding is a cruiser guy.Never gave it much thought and I followed suit.My first bike was a Yamaha Vstar 650 Classic.Great bike.But it was'nt long before I thought I needed bigger and better things.So I bought a Honda VTX 1300R.Big O heavy a$$ cruiser.Its a great bike and after a few mods it handles great and set up where I could go across the country if I choose to.I still have the VTX and its up for sale as I type.

Now for the stupid me part.I injured my lower back on the job about 2 yrs. ago.I have 3 bulging disk that give fits on a regular basis.The stupid me part is running out and buying bikes before considering ergonomics and my lower back.The crusiers just don't work for me.Even after installing a 800.00 custom seat it makes no difference.Sitting way back with your feet way out in front of you is torture when your spine takes all of the bumps and weight of your upper body.So now I'm shopping for one of the three bikes mentioned above because of there better ergos.Sitting upright with just a slight lean forward and your feet under you on the pegs taking the majority of the impact.Live and learn I guess.I also want a lighter bike.My VTX is about 775 pds. with the accessories.

I'm 5'10'' and 195 pds.I can stand nearly flat footed on the Versys and Vstrom.And very flat footed on the Ninja.The ergos feel good to me on all three.Great reviews on all three.All are very light compared to what I'm used to.I would be using the bike for commuting to work.70 miles round trip.Which is 2 lane country roads and about 5 miles of interstate,where I would get up to about 80 to keep up with traffic.Rides on the weekends are plenty of 2 lane mountain rodes and twisties.Some in town riding.Possible long hauls with camping in mind.Would like to go down a light gravel or dirt road without pukering up to much.Camp grounds usually don't have paved roads.So can anyone shead some new light on this for me?Maybe help me eliminate one from the list.Or give me some pros and cons I should consider.I apoligize for this very lengthy first post but I'm trying to be very serious about this next bike purchase.Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

After reading the last paragraph, I'd say Wee-strom first, then Versys, then Ninja, only because of the dirt/gravel roads. All three are good bikes for street riding, but with your back problems, I think it would be more of a personal preference. I haven't ridden a Wee-strom or a ninja, but I would bet the Wee is the most comfortable of all three...

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM

That cruiser riding position with feet out and all the pressure on your lower back does not work for me, sounds like for you as well. I had a herniated disk a number of years back and I ended up having surgery on it. The surgery came out great and I was generally pain free. Had a Vulcan at the time, hit a nice bump on the interstate, and had what felt like a lightning bolt down my leg. Needless to say, the Vulcan was for sale later that day.

Had an FJR after that, didn't have risers and was a bit too much of a lean for me, and felt more cramped in the legs (not to mention my nads being baked by it but that's another story). The Versys has been great for me so far, got my feet under me but it's tall enough where I don't feel cramped, and a slight lean forward, just about perfect. Never rode the Wee but will definitely recommend the V...

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys.The Wee strom is a big continder on my list.When I first saw the Versys I thought thats one of the ugliest bikes I had ever seen.LOL.But after reading some reviews and staring at it hopelessly at the show rooms it started to grow on me.And now I'm kinda diggin it.I like to be different anyway.Thats another thing I got kinda tired of is the cookie cutter looks of the cruisers.On most of them if you debadge them you can't hardly tell them a part.Of course there are exception.In Bama your lucky to see a Vstrom or a Versys.But you'll probably see 5 cruisers before you get to the next red light.LOL.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:42 PM

I sold two beautiful big cruisers, due to back issues. Bought the Versys as a last shot at riding, and have been very pleased with it. I can ride it as much as time allows. Some fine tuning of the forks and shock have it in a good place for comfort and performance. Changed the rear sprocket to 44 teeth, which is perfect for me. Made the speedometer dead-on, and improved all-round performance. Good luck!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 AM

"I would be using the bike for commuting to work.70 miles round trip.Which is 2 lane country roads and about 5 miles of interstate,where I would get up to about 80 to keep up with traffic.Rides on the weekends are plenty of 2 lane mountain rodes and twisties.Some in town riding.Possible long hauls with camping in mind.Would like to go down a light gravel or dirt road without pukering up to much."

IMO, you just described the perfect scenario for either bike, the Wee or V. If comfort is more important I'd go with the Wee, if you want something sporty and fun I'd go with the V. For dirt roads you may want to change the rubber on both but give the edge to the Wee with a taller front tire.
________
Fat *****

Last edited by furley; 05-14-2011 at 05:12 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 AM

I'd recommend the Versys or the Wee-strom. Both are more upright and will be easier on your back than the Ninja. I have a couple of herniated discs in my lower back and the Versys has been more comfortable than prior bikes. The only complaint is the stock seat. The forward slant can bug my back, depending on the day.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.I looked at 2 V's yesterday.One blue and one green.They both were sharp.Have'nt seen any local dealers carrying any Wee's.Will have to travel further to check them out.Oh almost forgot.One dealer has the V for 6899.00 OTD.He said if you wait until after June 1st it would be 200.00 less.Do to a upcoming special.This would put it at 6700.00 OTD tax and all.Is this a good price?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrick View Post
Thanks guys.I looked at 2 V's yesterday.One blue and one green.They both were sharp.Have'nt seen any local dealers carrying any Wee's.Will have to travel further to check them out.Oh almost forgot.One dealer has the V for 6899.00 OTD.He said if you wait until after June 1st it would be 200.00 less.Do to a upcoming special.This would put it at 6700.00 OTD tax and all.Is this a good price?
It's apples and oranges between the Vee and the Wee. I'd agree with Rick and put the Ninja in 3rd place, since it isn't as versatile. The Strom seems to be smoother riding to me and is much better suited to two-up riding. The 55 inch wheelbase on the Vee really cramps the two-up riding space. There is something about the v-twin in the Suzuki that really seems to be indestructible. It may be my imagination, but I feel like the v-twin may have a longer life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!

Last edited by VeeWNC; 06-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:07 PM

6700 OTD including all taxes and fees seems like a fair price for a 2009.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Dad is 5'6" and this bike is too tall for him. It is at my house now while I try to knock 2-4 inches off the ride height.

So take into account that it may be too tall for you.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Scooper,I'm 5'10''.I've sat on the V and I was liking about 1-11/2'' being flat footed.Just the back part of my heals were not touching on both sides.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Sorry to post there. I was not able to send PMs so I was just responding to a bunch of posts to get my post count up to 10 thinking I would get the privilege to PM after that.

Sorry if I got the thread off topic.

But what I said still stands (no pun intended).
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM

I had the vtx 1800c and hated it. I've also owned various h-d's, but I must say the versys is my favorite but you will have to change the seat,it's brutal. I went with a corbin in-which I love. It has very easy adjustable susp. 6,700 sounds a little high.I just got a new 08 for 5,900 with no F&P I see 09's for around 62 or 63. Good luck,as you see their are alot of happy v-guys here
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM

There is no way a sport bike like a ninja is going to be a good idea for a bad back. Biomechanicly its a horrible position for your spine. If you need me to elaborate more just ask. But in my professional opinion I'd say no to sport bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode