side stand stability - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
side stand stability

One of the trips I am hoping to do over the next couple of months involves a couple of days on boat ferries going up the St Lawrence River to get to Labrador. While I know the ferries are fairly stable, I am wondering whether the V's side stand will be enough to keep it upright during the transits. Currently I have the stock stand. Perhaps a Bigfoot would work, perhaps not.

Anyone have any experience?

P.s. I currently keep an old small plastic cutting board that I keep in my sidebag in case I have to park on dirt/sand. has been very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 AM

I don't think it would be a problem. For a little more assurance, I would put it in gear to prevent it from rolling.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Hi Carbo,

I just rode back from Natasquan, Qc 2 days ago!!!!!

I am assuming that your talking about the Relais Nordik route. The boat is the Nordik Express and your bike will be store on a 20' open container. The boat is a former supply vessel for the construction of the Hibernia platform and it has been converted to passenger vessel

http://www.groupedesgagnes.com/en/home/244.cfm

I would suggest to call the ferry customer support and see if they can secure your motorcycle with tie-down since the container are loaded on the boat with cranes. Also try to see in the contract is they are responsible for the damage to your bike if it tips over.

Finally the bike will not be accessible while you cruise but there are no roads between Natasquan and Blanc-Sablon.

I don't know if you have been there but feel free to send me a private message, I'll be happy to give you some informations. I rode from Montréal to Natasquan last week on my V but I only went to Blanc-Sablon by plane a few years ago. I drove between Salmon Bay to Red Bay. I think that the read beyond Red Gay is gravel.

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Charles, that is precisely the info I was looking for. Is 138 to Natashquan all paved and in reasonable condition with the exception of standard Hiway repair? How long was the drive from Montreal to Natashquan?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 AM

Here the motorbikes makes secure with tie down in the boats...

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Bc ferries here provide large wood blocks to go under the low point on the opposite side of the stand. Prevents any chance of unweighting the stand.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Using motowerk's flatfoot. Good and functional as advertised.
+1 on putting the V in gear on a down/ up slope.
Yup, for seafastening those ratchet straps are excellent for lashing down at sea.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

I guess the ferry services have figured out that two wheels are a little less stable than 4. Thanks for your help guys.
This forum rocks... as do our bikes.
Ride safe all
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Thanks Charles, that is precisely the info I was looking for. Is 138 to Natashquan all paved and in reasonable condition with the exception of standard Hiway repair? How long was the drive from Montreal to Natashquan?
First of all, this is a very remote area, the last Kawasaki dealer is in Sept-Iles. Beyond that your on your own.

About half of the town are French, the other half are native. I am French speaking so I can't comment about English services

Rte 138 is paved until the Natasquan river so Natasquan and Pointe Parent (last town) are paved.

The road condition are as good as in the rest of Quebec. There are about 10 road repair sites between Quebec City and Natasquan. Most of the time the repairs are on bridges. The are setting up a big construction camp in Havre St-Pierre so you will be passing lots of mobile homes and heavy equipment on your way.

The pavement is very abrasive past Sept-Iles so make sure that your tire are new of almost new and check your air pressure. I almost did not make it my front tire is really worn out.

Riding the Cote Nord region is very interesting but you can get thick fog almost any time almost anywhere.

Be sure to pack bug repellent (and don't go for the cheap stuff), solar cream.

Cell phone coverage is less than 50%.

I drove from Sept-Iles to Natasquan in one day and I drove from Sept-Iles to Montreal in one painful day. If you decide to ride in two days, you could drive to Matane, take the ferry to Godbout and drive the last stretch to Sept-Iles. The 2½h ferry ride will allow you to rest.

I decided to drive to Natasquan in 3 days and took the Rte 155 from Trois-Rivière to Roberval and I rode around Lac St-Jean to the north shore of Saguenay river. While this could be done in two day, I choose to ride relaxed and stop for pictures. Be aware that in the summer, there are lots of campers trailer on those roads.

For dining, I can recommend two seafood restaurant:

Chez Julie 1023, rue Dulcinee, Havre St. Pierre, Quebec G0G 1P0, Canada

Chez Omer 372 Av Brochu, Sept Iles, Quebec G4R 2W6, Canada

But the are on the expensive side.

Lac St-Jean

Rte 138 past Havre St-Pierre

Town of Aguinish (native)

Port of Natasquan

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

That's very helpful, thanks charles. I think we should get all the Forum members and all V owners to ride to Natashquan en masse.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Get the Motowerk Flatfoot! It'll provide more stability not only on the ferry, but also during your day-to-day riding (parking). I put one on my bike and I no longer have to carry the flat plastic to put under the kickstand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode