SUV driver plows over bikers (video) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SUV driver plows over bikers (video)

You guys may have seen this on the news. There is a lot of really bad decisions going on in this video. The group of bikers, reportedly, are known for stirring up trouble, but the guy in this SUV practiced extremely poor judgement for A. not keeping a bigger distance between him and the bike (yeah, the guy foolishly brake checked him, but the SUV driver had plenty of time to back off before that happened) and B. PLOWING OVER A BUNCH OF BIKERS LIKE THEY WERE SPEED BUMPS

No Video

The guy doing the brake checking sparked the whole thing off, but that does not justify what the driver of the SUV then did. You can see in the video that the whole group stops and confronts the guy, supposedly "damaging" his car and scaring his wife and kid, but since when does that justify potentially murdering someone?! Oh no, I'm scared and some of my stuff got scratched, that gives me the right to KILL THEM. oysh. I say that after reading some of the youtube comments. My goodness, there are some truly, blindly hateful people toward bikers out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM

Seriously, it's not like these guys were the Mongols; Just a bunch of (stupid?) kids out for a ride. I've been stuck in a pack of hooligans on the freeway before. It was a bit intimidating, and irritating to say the least, but running them over was the last option on my list. Is this what society has come to?
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Seriously, it's not like these guys were the Mongols; Just a bunch of (stupid?) kids out for a ride. I've been stuck in a pack of hooligans on the freeway before. It was a bit intimidating, and irritating to say the least, but running them over was the last option on my list. Is this what society has come to?
How threatened I feel if I'm alone, and how threatened I might feel in the car with a wife and 2 year old are two different things.

Remember...the guy stopped his Range Rover after the rider did his cute little brake-check number - which, if you watch the video, is pretty obviously intentional considering he was in the RR's lane prior to it.

Would this be a different discussion if they had been assaulting his car with his family inside and then he shot one of them?

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:58 PM
djg

This illustrates why you should never ride in an impolite manner. You just don't know how others will react. Mega thread in jomomma, 100 to 1 against the motorcyclists. Also on stuntbums website, didn't go there.

Last edited by djg; 10-01-2013 at 01:01 PM.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

idiocy > assault with a deadly weapon > assault
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbilly View Post
How threatened I feel if I'm alone, and how threatened I might feel in the car with a wife and 2 year old are two different things.

Remember...the guy stopped his Range Rover after the rider did his cute little brake-check number - which, if you watch the video, is pretty obviously intentional considering he was in the RR's lane prior to it.

Would this be a different discussion if they had been assaulting his car with his family inside and then he shot one of them?
Don't provoke the animals. The guy he hit was certainly pulling a dick move, but the mob seemed fairly calm at that point. Even if the crowd was pounding on his car, he's in a giant sealed metal box. From what I saw, the situation at that point was far from dire. Things went pear-shaped when he decided to assault multiple people with his vehicle. People who were just stopped in the road. They weren't being aggressive, just blocking traffic. This is why we have the police.

Now, if immediately after hitting Mr. Brakecheck the bikers had started tearing the doors off the hinges, then yes he'd be far more justified in doing whatever he needed to do to protect his family. But from what I saw, the only time the bikers actually became violent was at the end, after he had run over several bikes and riders, left the scene of two accidents (looks like he knocked over another bike leaving the first stop down the highway), and then ran out of road. Both sides clearly share heaps of blame in the incident, but I'd really have to pin it on the driver for escalating it.

I ran into an incident like this myself, a few years back. Some guy in a big truck tried to cut me off in my car by pulling out of a driveway between me and the car in front of me. I didn't make room for the king, so he stopped his truck in the roadway blocking my path, got out, and started banging on my car while cussing me out. What did I do? Just looked at him. Looked at him and pointed at his truck, the one he needed to get back in. After about 30 seconds, he huffed and puffed himself out, then waddled back to his truck and got in to leave. That's when I noticed his wide-eyed kid sitting in the passenger seat. Couldn't have been older than 10. Made me extra glad I was the one keeping the cooler head, because no kid needs to see his parent going to jail or the hospital. What's wrong with people!?
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

In the CHL class (concealed handgun license) here in Texas they emphatically tell you that using ANY sort of deadly weapon against someone is an absolute last resort. Any level headed gun owner can tell you that, so if a bunch of ignorant teens come up and start taunting me and I start shooting at them? I would be the one going to jail. That's how I view this whole episode. As far as we know, nobody pulled a gun on the guy, or did anything beyond probably yell at him, and he proceeds to use his 5000 pound vehicle as a weapon. Again, yeah, more than one biker was being stupid, but damn.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
djg

The only injury was to the RR driver who was beaten, after the video was cut off. Oops, one motorcyclist also injured.

Here ya go,

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...ors_picks=true

And,

www.instagram.com/p/e5uuWsCSx3/#

Last edited by djg; 10-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM

One of the riders was also injured. Broken leg is what was reported, IIRC.

Honestly, a car isn't a giant sealed metal box. They were banging on the windows and trying to open the doors. That by itself was enough for the driver to feel like his family was in danger. I doubt his intention was anything other than getting the hell out of a dangerous situation. The fact that they later stopped him, broke the RR's windows, pulled him out, and beat the **** out of him shows that at no point was he safe in the vehicle against the mob.

I don't blame anyone but the riders who were acting like a pack of delinquents and giving all the rest of us that ride a bad name. Even if this incident with the RR never happened, there are plenty of videos out there of this same group from the same day basically acting like hooligans. Running red lights, stunting, riding on the sidewalks, and so on. It's crap like this that prevents the average population from viewing motorcycling as anything more than a fringe activity in this country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Wow, the wording of the headline alone is biased beyond belief. This is what counts as 'news' these days?
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Wow, the wording of the headline alone is biased beyond belief. This is what counts as 'news' these days?

"Wealthy Couple" what does that have to do with anything????

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly, a car isn't a giant sealed metal box. They were banging on the windows and trying to open the doors.
Says the report, and even if they were, would they have dragged him out of the vehicle and beat him at that time? I'm guessing no. The driver of the SUV poked a rabid bear in the eye by smashing into those guys. Look at the totally reverse mentality of the whole Travon Martin mess, a guy was getting his brains beat in, used HIS deadly weapon, justifiably, and the state still wanted to hang him. Now this guy, spooked inside his vehicle, not a hand had touched him, decides to use deadly force and will probably get a slap on the wrist...anyways, the whole thing is just a mess.

Last edited by neviander; 10-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:59 PM
djg

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Says the report, and even if they were, would they have dragged him out of the vehicle and beat him at that time?
Maybe, maybe not. Mob mentality was already in effect at that point. There was no way for him to tell, and if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't take a chance with my family either.

From ADV forums, here's a pic someone shot during when they were beating the driver. If you look at the right front wheel of the RR, you can see the tire is completely gone. That's pretty compelling support for the assertion that the bikers were slashing his tires as part of their assault on his vehicle, prompting him to take off. He wouldn't have completely lost the tire unless he had to drive on them for a while after they were slashed.

post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:08 PM
djg

post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Good. These guys should pay dearly, especially the one who dragged the dude out of the car.
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM

this is typical liberal news bias, no investigation and if it bleeds it leads. one of the stories said the a biker that got ran over might not walk again, this is not a good thing,but herd mentality usually has a bad outcome.. also at the point where one of the riders opens the rear door, i would have gone postal on the whole group. protecting the family is job one.. this is also a typical example for the public, you cant expect the police to be there for you and you family when you need them.. but the liberal govt. especially in ny. dosent give a crap about a persons ability to protect themselves..

09 versys (GREEN)
06 vulcan 2000
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM

He obviously felt threatened for himself and his family. The unknown behavior of the bikers surrounding his vehicle and inflicting damage on it, beating on it with their helmets and slashing the tires would cause anyone with their family inside the vehicle to resort to extreem measures.

If that same thing happened to me, I'm running you over. Period!
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Let's see...I'm driving with my wife and kid...and a bunch of morons on crotch rockets try to pull me over!? F that...I'd do the same thing in my cage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlammer View Post
Let's see...I'm driving with my wife and kid...and a bunch of morons on crotch rockets try to pull me over!? F that...I'd do the same thing in my cage.

...don't really care about the circumstances before...i.e. brake check run-in or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode