SUV driver plows over bikers (video) - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
The wife and kid weren't touched, right? I don't think they were, I didn't see any reports that they were. Anyhoo, my main point is, even after the guy made it 100 times worse for himself and had 60 angry bikers chasing his vehicle through heavy traffic, the supposed cause (wife and kid) of why he ramped that crotch rocket, never got hurt, even after all that. I'm with you guys, in the sense that I will tear someone's throat out to protect my family, but I don't think what he did was the best thing to protect his family. Better to have sat there, maybe with some slashed tires, and NOT get dragged out of my vehicle by enraged hoodlums and watch them ride away feeling victorious, than to crush at least one of them, pissing off ALL of them even further, speed through heavy traffic on flat tires, and end up where he did. Again, I'm not defending the jack ass, dolt group of bikers.

The guy in the SUV never did anything dangerous toward the CRIMINALS (I call them that because they were in the process of committing a CRIME) until they left him no choice. Seriously, is he just supposed to sit there and let them drag him out of his vehicle? Then what, let them beat him, as long as they aren't beating his wife and kid?

What exactly do you think they were gonna do after they blocked him in and then opened his door and tried to grab him? Pull him out and give him a "good driver award"? Helmet cam footage and all I don't think there would be a jury that wouldn't side with the SUV driver if the perp's ended up with a face full of .45.

Last edited by cyclesarge; 10-06-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As a lawyer being interviewed the other night pointed out, this could have ended in a legal quagmire with a body count in a stand your ground state like Florida or Texas. A biker threatened with being run over could have legally shot the driver of the SUV as he tried to escape and the SUV driver could have legally shot the guys that smashed their way into his vehicle.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-06-2013 at 07:50 AM.
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 AM

This is being discussed at length on loads of forums, including non biker ones.

I agree with the view that the bikers were trying to force vehicles to stop and to block the road so that some of them could do stunts. There are videos of that on You Tube.

This time it went wrong as a driver not unreasonably panicked and burst through the road block. It was going to happen at some point, people even drive through properly set up police road blocks.

Maybe next time it will be a big rig and some bikers die before they learn what they are doing is madness.

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
As a lawyer being interviewed the other night pointed out, this could have ended in a legal quagmire with a body count in a stand your ground state like Florida or Texas. A biker threatened with being run over could have legally shot the driver of the SUV as he tried to escape and the SUV driver could have legally shot the guys that smashed their way into his vehicle.
Not true, you can't legally shoot the victim of your crime for trying to escape, anywhere. Trying to stop another vehicle or blocking them in to stop them is a crime. If you do it, be prepared to get run over or shot (with no legal recourse) even if you think you are right.

Of course, if they HAD shot him, his wife and kid the only evidence would have been the flattened bike(s) and the accounts of the bikers. In which case they'd probably get away with it until one of them grew a conscience.
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

Wink

Are there no new issues to discuss this week?????????????
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
Are there no new issues to discuss this week?????????????
Sorry, I came late for this discussion and wanted to add my 2 cents.

Feel free to bring up a new topic.
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
Sorry, I came late for this discussion and wanted to add my 2 cents.

Feel free to bring up a new topic.
Hmmmmm, what about the weather lately?
Erm, why is beef so expensive?

Hummmmm, oh, there;s something going on with the American Government just shutting down because the people that YOU voted in aren't really working in your favour!!!

Other than that, what about those naughty 'bikers'n'SUV drivers last week!?!?
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Not true, you can't legally shoot the victim of your crime for trying to escape, anywhere. Trying to stop another vehicle or blocking them in to stop them is a crime. If you do it, be prepared to get run over or shot (with no legal recourse) even if you think you are right.

Of course, if they HAD shot him, his wife and kid the only evidence would have been the flattened bike(s) and the accounts of the bikers. In which case they'd probably get away with it until one of them grew a conscience.
If they are trying to run you over and you feel your life is in jeopardy you can. No crime was committed by those run over. It is important to distinguish the actions of individuals and not blame the entire group.
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:

According to the legal experts I have seen interviewed these laws allow you to start a confrontation and when the other person escalates it to where you feel threatened allows you to shoot them. It is important to point out not all those run over committed a crime and could have thought they were stopping a criminal even though this is not the case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/off-duty-co...ry?id=20488628
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
If they are trying to run you over and you feel your life is in jeopardy you can. No crime was committed by those run over. It is important to distinguish the actions of individuals and not blame the entire group.
The guy that got run over had parked his bike so that it blocked the exit of the SUV, dismounted and was approaching the vehicle, these actions constitute a felony.

Even if he (the guy that got run over) wasn't committing a felony and was just looking for a convenient place to park, he wasn't being assaulted, he was the victim of an accident that was the result of the SUV driver trying to get away from the douches he associates with.

Last edited by cyclesarge; 10-06-2013 at 09:54 PM.
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_rider View Post
According to the legal experts I have seen interviewed these laws allow you to start a confrontation and when the other person escalates it to where you feel threatened allows you to shoot them. It is important to point out not all those run over committed a crime and could have thought they were stopping a criminal even though this is not the case.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/off-duty-co...ry?id=20488628
You CAN start a conflict, when you elevate that conflict to a felony assault YOU become the criminal and the other guy has the right to defend himself with deadly force.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode