Had my bike serviced, now I gotta learn to ride it again - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Had my bike serviced, now I gotta learn to ride it again

Had my bike in to the dealer for it's second valve adjustment last Friday.

The first valve adjustment was at 15k miles by an independent mechanic, and when he sync'd the TBs he backed out the adjuster screws a bit which made throttle response much smoother--at least off idle, or for low throttle inputs.

The last service, at 38k miles apparently the dealer went back to the factory set up. At first I thought the bike was more responsive, until I realized they just adjusted the factory snatchy throttle back in. Today I was getting used to riding it again. I've had a smooth throttle for just over a year now.

I never bothered with the TPS mod on this site before, but now I might--it sounds easier than re-syncing the TBs with the screws backed out further.

FWIW at the 1st valve adjustment 7 valves got adjusted. This time 3. Both times the tech adjusted valves that were near the limit, not just out of spec. I didn't get a before/after report this time, but the 1st time most of the valves were close but still within spec.

It looks like the wisdom I gleaned from the forums one this was correct: do the 1st valve check early, but after that the factory service intervals are good. At least that seems to have worked so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Cool... You could try the 6" long 5/32" ID vacuum hose on TB vacuum synch access fittings mod first.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Why did you take it to the dealer, just out of curiosity?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Why did you take it to the dealer, just out of curiosity?
Mechanic who did it before was busy being a race mechanic. I didn't want to put on another 1000 miles waiting until he was free.

Not eager to do shim under bucket myself, and I didn't really consider doing it until it was too late for me to order a shim kit in time.

FWIW fuel economy is down now too. I had been seeing the fuel warning at around 224 miles. I saw it at 202 miles today, on the tank I got after the service. It's kind of early for them to have switched to Winter gas, so I expect it's mostly from the TB adjustment. They could have switched gas though, and I did buy from a different station than usual.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 04:58 AM

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I just got my Versys back from its 15K service (minus oil change). I had the valves inspected and when I picked it up, the service guy told me they were all in spec, no adjustments needed. This seems to go against the norm, but I guess it's not a bad thing right?

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's fine... Late model Versys' valve clearances, especially the exhaust ones, tend to be better adjusted upon original factory assembly.

Last edited by invader; 10-02-2013 at 05:30 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I believe valve adjustments are also a factor of how you ride your bike. Take care of it and it takes care of you. My '08 KLR 650 need no adjustment at 30,000 miles.

I like the snappy throttle on the Versys. One of the features that puts a smile on my face when I ride.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM

2010 and later versions have the valve clearance check and adjust at 42k km.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM

David, I think I would have waited for the Race guy! I had 3 exhaust out of spec at 12k miles. My mechanic, also a race guy, said, "that's good, you're using it like you should." Checked again at 22 & 36, no adjustment needed.
There's no magic to the numbers, unless you happen to be under warrantee I guess. I just have it done in the winter, along with the plugs and air filter, and TB sync. The shop can use the work in the winter, and they remember that come summer and I need some tires mounted before a trip.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
My mechanic, also a race guy, said, "that's good, you're using it like you should."
What does that mean? Especially coming from a race guy.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Mechanic who did it before was busy being a race mechanic. I didn't want to put on another 1000 miles waiting until he was free.

Not eager to do shim under bucket myself, and I didn't really consider doing it until it was too late for me to order a shim kit in time.

FWIW fuel economy is down now too. I had been seeing the fuel warning at around 224 miles. I saw it at 202 miles today, on the tank I got after the service. It's kind of early for them to have switched to Winter gas, so I expect it's mostly from the TB adjustment. They could have switched gas though, and I did buy from a different station than usual.

Wouldn't be quite sure about them switching to winter gas yet. The last few weeks my mpg has had a noticeable drop. Were are you located in Cali? I take my bike to a shop in Hunting Beach and he does great work...http://www.rcalracing.com .The last set of tires i put on my bike he got them cheaper than i could on-line and they were delivered to his shop the next day. I had him do a major tune-up Change plugs oil,filter,Valve check,Chain maintenance,lube cables clean air filter,etc,etc. It was alittle over $400.00

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode