2010 Versys 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2010 Versys 1000

I heard there was gonna be a Versys 1000 for 2010 released by Kawasaki. Is there any truth to this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_Kawasaki_Versys_1000.jpg (31.7 KB, 385 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:35 PM

If i had a nickel for everytime i saw a thread like this....

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:40 PM

No

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Photochop.

I really doubt that the versys engine would scale up to 1000cc without a serious redesign. Kawasaki doesn't currently have any 1000cc twin (maybe a cruiser but who wants a boat anchor).

Suzuki has a DL650 and DL1000 because they have a SV650 and SV1000 to base it on.

The american light-tourer/adventure bike market isn't even lucrative enough for Honda and Yamaha to import some of the bikes they've already designed and manufacture (Varadero, Tenere).
Japan thinks Americans only ride cruisers and sport bikes, and unfortunately Americans think that as well for the most part.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM

if Kawi put a 1000cc in a V, you would loose everything you enjoy about riding the V. Give it up.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 PM

I don't think that's necessarily true.

It's already not great off-road.

If they went to closed-loop fuel injection and kept the tune torque and efficiency minded you'd still have the good range and economy.

When Triumph went from the 955 to the 1050 they actually reduced the weight by quite a lot, so I don't think that a well designed 1000 would really increase the weight by a terrible amount (certainly less than the luggage/crashbars/skidplates that we strap on without thinking twice).

The riding position could just as easily be applied to a liter bike as a 650.

The looks could be almost identical.

The only thing that is a sure downside is that the price would go up by 3 thousand bucks or so.

If Kawasaki came out with a liter version for less than a triumph tiger and maybe a little more polish than the KLE650 in the gearbox/brakes area I might give it a serious look.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 PM

Dam it! That would have been nice! :-)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM

I assure you there would be added weight with a 1000cc. The 650cc V is a fun bike to ride for a reason. Put a 1000cc in the bike and it's just another bike.

I don't think Kawi would spend too much time on redesigning the V with sales what it is. They are going to produce this bike at max another 2 years and re-evaluate.

You have to keep the cost down on this type of bike otherwise if it were close in price to a BMW or Triumph, well guess which one I'd buy.

The smart thing Kawi has done which might prolong the life of the V, is that they put the same motor in the Ninja 650 and ER-6N. Economies of scale might save the V. That is a great manufacturing feat doing that. I commend Kawi for doing this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 AM

Too Big

The 1000 would be too big. If Kawasaki wanted to sell a screamer, it would be an 800-900 CC model. It would help keep the engine size manageable for the weight / power distribution and that bike would be screaming fast.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
The 1000 would be too big. If Kawasaki wanted to sell a screamer, it would be an 800-900 CC model. It would help keep the engine size manageable for the weight / power distribution and that bike would be screaming fast.
I agree an 850cc at the most. I have talked to a pro hillclimber who has had the motor completely apart, and he said there is not much room to expand the cylinders on the current motor. So increasing the cc any would be a new motor design.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 AM

May I suggest this thread be stickied? Maybe it will cut down on some of the reposting of this hack-job of a picture? Maybe.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 AM

I know the V is a different motorcycle but I can tell you from personal experience it wouldn't necessarily be an improvement. Maybe yes, maybe no. I owned 2 naked SV650s and 1 naked SV1000. The SV650s were a much better twisty road street bike. Sure the SV1000 had great torque (not like my old TL1000S, I really miss that bike) but never really "shined" like the SV650s did on twisty stuff. The 650 felt like a lightweight motocross bike; you could just throw it around and it asked for more. The 1000 wasn't far behind in the handling (especially after some suspension fine tuning) but it never "shined"

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
The 650 felt like a lightweight motocross bike; you could just throw it around and it asked for more.
And that's what I like best about the V!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:50 AM

I think they should just read the posts on this forum, if they fixed all the things we
have, they would have the best bike on the planet!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
I know the V is a different motorcycle but I can tell you from personal experience it wouldn't necessarily be an improvement. Maybe yes, maybe no. I owned 2 naked SV650s and 1 naked SV1000. The SV650s were a much better twisty road street bike. Sure the SV1000 had great torque (not like my old TL1000S, I really miss that bike) but never really "shined" like the SV650s did on twisty stuff. The 650 felt like a lightweight motocross bike; you could just throw it around and it asked for more. The 1000 wasn't far behind in the handling (especially after some suspension fine tuning) but it never "shined"
Man, you've got the toys!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
If they went to closed-loop fuel injection and kept the tune torque and efficiency minded you'd still have the good range and economy.
I thought all the non US, possibly non North American Versys's were already closed loop, certainly the European ones are. (assuming that by closed loop you mean the EFI adapts based on the reading of an O2 sensor in the exhaust)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM

The best setup would be to take the V engine and add another cylinder. Triples rule and are perfect for hyper dual sports.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
The best setup would be to take the V engine and add another cylinder. Triples rule and are perfect for hyper dual sports.
Tiger, Tiger, burning bright....

love that bike, but a bit too rich for me right now, mebbe next year, mebbe if I do get of my ass and go on a 50th wanderabout. I keep dreaming of going to see my brother in Vancouver, on the Vee (be nice to show the locals one of the fast orange models they so seem to lack, starting from New York via Florida, Texas and then oop the west coast to BC. but its soo tentative. I've not even got down to finding how much it would cost to ship the Vee to the US & back again, let alone stuff like insurance, medical cover, firearms training.....
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM

A 1000cc would likely be heavier than our 650cc, but I'd rather have a 1000cc upsized from a 650 than a 650 downsized from a 1000 (V-Strom). I was pretty disgusted when I sat on the Wee-Strom, and it felt every bit as heavy as its big brother! If the rumors are true, it'll be interesting to compare 1k V vs. 1k V-Strom (there's no way out of that phrase withough redundancy.)

That being said, I've got no interest or need for a 1000. I'm happy on my old Hawk, and the Versys has half again the ponies with only a 2cc advantage and nearly the same weight (albeit a higher cg). If the Hawk can haul me over Trailridge and across Kansas, the Versys will do it easily, in slightly more comfort, and with a whole lot fewer gas stops.

Val Gregory
AMA 466527, DoD 1258
'90 Hawk GT
'08 Versys

Tell the truth, explain to me, how you got this need for speed?
She laughed and said, "It might just be the next best thing to love."
- David Wilcox, "Eye of the Hurricane"

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 AM

I have seen these threads so many times. If anyone looks at that awful photo hack job and thinks it's real, they need an eye exam immediately.

On the other hand, the V really doesn't need much more in terms of displacement. A lot of people have complained that it needs more power but I've found myself more than happy with the power especially when you sit back and think about what it is. It's a lightweight flickable bike and I think a liter motor would take away from the flickability and decrease the fun ratio. The only way it wouldn't is to make it a liter v-twin to keep some of the visible forward mass down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode