Just brought it home! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just brought it home!

It's a beautiful day in PA. I couldn't have picked a better day to bring the new bike home. My green V had just 4 miles on the odo when I picked her up this morning. It was a nice ride home through Penn State Ag and farm country on Route 45. Just a quick lunch break and then back out to get her broken in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Awesome.
It is a great feeling, You will love it.
Be nice to it though till it is broke in.

I love my V and it loves me.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Congrats, I know you will love here as much as I love my '08

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 PM

welcome to the club. Everytime I get on the bike I continue to enjoy riding the V!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM

Let me know if you head east. I'm a bit north of Allentown.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Awesome bud! The break in period is killing me, always needing to watch that tach to make sure im under 4000 rpm! But, make sure ya do it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Awesome bud! The break in period is killing me, always needing to watch that tach to make sure im under 4000 rpm! But, make sure ya do it.
Out west here (UT), the speed limits are generally 65mph on the Highways and state routes, and usually 75mph on the Freeways. I live along a state route and have to travel 11 miles just to get to town. If I kept the V under 4k rpm all the time, when breaking it in, I woulda got run over, or at the minimum really made some people mad! I didn't keep the bike under 4k rpm all the time but I did vary the speed a lot, and I changed the oil twice before 600 miles and a couple more times before 7500 miles. With 8k miles "on the clock" my V gets over 53 mpg, even when "cruising" at 75 mph! It runs great! I'm not saying you should ignore the break in instructions, but I am saying that it will work out OK if you occasionally go over!

regards, Bob
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

I took it easy today, 146 miles and mostly under 4k, just once or twice up to 5. I wanted to get acquainted with the bike and just feel it out a little. Other than hunting for seventh gear a few times, things went great! ;-)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
I took it easy today, 146 miles and mostly under 4k, just once or twice up to 5. I wanted to get acquainted with the bike and just feel it out a little. Other than hunting for seventh gear a few times, things went great! ;-)
I did the same thing. I still to this day look for 7th gear. Putting on a new 44T rear here in the next few days. Hopefully, I'll be looking for 7th a little less now.

I know it does 75mph no problem, but he seems like the V is breathing heavily while doing so. Hopefully, that will go away soon.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
I did the same thing. I still to this day look for 7th gear. Putting on a new 44T rear here in the next few days. Hopefully, I'll be looking for 7th a little less now.

I know it does 75mph no problem, but he seems like the V is breathing heavily while doing so. Hopefully, that will go away soon.
jhedges,

I did the 16 tooth front sprocket to make the highway cruising easier, and yes it will cruise @ 75 mph + no problem after you change the "gearing" a bit.

regards, Bob
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 03:10 PM

I have noticed recently that the mirrors are clearer at 5k RPM's than 4k in top gear. My hands also notice less vibration. Best of all, I seem to be getting better gas mileage at 5k as well. Any one else notice this? With stock gearing, 5k RPM's is just about perfect cruising speed.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 03:39 PM

I am with you on that but My bike likes 5200-5500 the best which puts me at about 77mph. It is nice and smooth there, the only problem is that 77 is a little fast around here. I do not like red and blue's in the mirror.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 PM

I just put the 44T on this evening and went for a short ride. Wow, it's 100% better. I really like it much better. I did notice it seems engine braking is less noticeable. This is a great mod, and wish I did it a long time ago. I'm guessing this will be nice for my upcoming trip to the thumb in Michigan the first week in July. Sheepskin seat pad is next on my list, with bar mirrors a close second on my list. I'm just undecided on which brand of bar mirrors to go with.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Spackler,

Do a quick break in and have FUN!
http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

As for the gearing, intend to try the 15/44 gear setup next .
Agree with Potus2012, vibration is much less after 5K rpm and mirror are clearer.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode