That bits...or stings. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That bits...or stings.

Had to run to the shop to pick up a few things I'd ordered today. What a nice day for a ride. Not too hot, not too cold. The sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. No problems with traffic even got to see Air Force 1 (OK I know it's NOT Air Force 1 until the president is on board) sitting on the ramp at Wright-Pat along with a few C-17s.

I'm a block from Vista Kawasaki and as I pull away from the light a Bee flies into my helmet! NOW what do I do? I can't stop as I'm in traffic now all I can do ride it out until I pull in the parking lot. I park the bike and calmly RIP my helmet off so fast my glasses go flying but it's too late. I've been nailed. Little SOB stung me right on the temple. Hurt but I'll live.

BYW the little wire guides on the handlebars? The ones that pop into a hole in the bar? DON'T break them I ran the wires for my grips through them and broke one of them. They cost about $6.00 and for what's a glorified wire tie it's a bit steep! I also picked up some white reflexive rim tape for my KLR after seeing how much the tape I put on the Versys stands out when light hits it. Can't hut might help.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-28-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 PM

Sorry about your sting. I have been bit under my jacket by a fire ant and stung by a bee that flew down my shirt while driving a car but never stung on a bike.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM

In the early sixtys we were on a summertime trip from Northern Virginia to Florida in the family '57 Chevy station wagon. My dad used a hinged cushion to sit on. It had a whole series of springs inside it that allowed air to circulate through the cushion... behind and under him as he drove. No A/C back then... all windows down. After a stop for lunch or something it was back on the road for five or ten minutes until the bee that had worked its way into his cushion while we were out of the car stung him in the ass... Hahahahaha... That old Chevy was all over the road for a few hundred feet while mom and us four kids were screaming our heads off.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Had a wasp fly into my helmet from under the chin bar and get tangled in my beard. I just knew it wasn't turn out well and it didn't. It stung me in the chin before I managed to smash it - into my beard. What a mess, but then assassination is rarely pretty.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Motorcycle riding is an adventure But that sucks, dude.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Garage
Several weeks ago I took a bee to the face at around 50. In his dying move he stung me in my temple. I was trapped in traffic and couldnt do anything about it.

I always wear glasses when riding. Sunglasses during the day, and a pair of sunglasses with clear lenses at night.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 PM

Garage
I'm sorry guys, but this thread is sooooo funny !

But I guess kharma is going to pay me a visit soon for laughing at you ...

LOP
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've had two wasps get into my helmet this year. Opened visor and turned head sideways and the wasps exited both times, no sting.
Last year a friend was riding and he was bitten on the face by a spider that had taken up residence in his helmet. His face swelled up so badly that one eye was closed. He always checks his helmet before putting it on now.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
I'm sorry guys, but this thread is sooooo funny !

But I guess kharma is going to pay me a visit soon for laughing at you ...

LOP
Naw it is funny in a way. AND I'll take a Bee sting to the noggin anyday over a Buick to the head!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I've had two wasps get into my helmet this year. Opened visor and turned head sideways and the wasps exited both times, no sting.
Last year a friend was riding and he was bitten on the face by a spider that had taken up residence in his helmet. His face swelled up so badly that one eye was closed. He always checks his helmet before putting it on now.
Spiders that bite are the dangerous ones. Some are known to lay eggs at the wound so that the offspring will have instant food when hatch. I think some warps do that on desert scorpions too
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM

Coincidence... Just got nailed by wasp while moving a hose caddy during yard work operations an hour ago. Yes... it's Florida. I probably have a full four weeks of yard maintenance ahead of me... And it starts back up again in early March. While most of you are winterizing your Vs, I'm still cutting grass and pulling weeds.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I was in Aukland, NZ, back in the summer of 1970. My navigator and I went to their 'war-museum' for a couple of hours, seeing the sights.

When we came out there was a bunch of school buses, students lining up to get back on, while we waited on a taxi. My 'pen' sort-of stuck me in the chest just below my left breast, so I reached down to 'move' it, only to discover that I DIDN'T have a pen OR a pocket in my shirt...! I was being stung by a wasp!!!

Those grade-school young-uns got to watch a Canadian Airforce officer get OUT OF his shirt in RECORD time, all the while swatting and yelling...!

My nav kept that story going for far TOO long....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock19 View Post
Spiders that bite are the dangerous ones. Some are known to lay eggs at the wound so that the offspring will have instant food when hatch. I think some warps do that on desert scorpions too

I think this is one of the wasp you are thinking of a Tarantula Hawk Wasp. If one one these flew in my helmet I'd set it on fire...might have even taken it off first!

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I think this is one of the wasp you are thinking of a Tarantula Hawk Wasp. If one one these flew in my helmet I'd set it on fire...might have even taken it off first!

Sh*t that's big !!!!

If that thing was to hit me in the helmet, I would probably fall off the bike ...

LOP
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post

Damn! Texas deer aren't that big.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 11:35 PM

I got stung on the tongue by a bee that flew through the gap in my visor (and right into my mouth) on a foggy morning at Waterton Lakes back in July. Hurt.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 AM

Would a baklava help ? My helmets came with them and in our hot weather, it'll prevent the helmet from stinking. Until now, I've not put them on, so could it help prevent stings ? Or it'll become worse when the insect's leg are tangled up with it and make removal more difficult ?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 AM
MTS

Lesson's learned! LOL Whatever!

Oooooooouch!

Hoppers hurt when they go through the skin too!

Have you guys seen the new face masks?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 AM

It stings when it stings you with its stinger, then it stings which really bites... You'd have to wear a bee head net over your helmet, tightly strung around your neck for just head protection.

I never got stung while riding. I did get a yellow jacket wasp's venomous sting on my left calf this summer. It left a large red patch mostly below the sting, and was very itchy for exactly a week.

Last edited by invader; 09-30-2013 at 08:06 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 AM

On my 9 day trip a couple of weeks ago, my buddy and I were riding in the northern part of South Dakota, and had been passing some bee hives on a very rural road. A couple bees got down in between my jacket and my t-shirt, right behind my right shoulder blade. At first I didn't know what was tickling me, so I kept trying to brush it off with my hand. Mind you, this is all happening at 75 MPH. Well, when they started stinging me, I knew right away what it was. I stopped ASAP, jumped off the bike and ripped off my jacket to get those dang things out of there. Had a sore shoulder for the rest of that day.

---------------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1980 Yamaha XS650
"The Wonder Twins"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode