Well, that didn't last long.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, that didn't last long..

Stock exhaust tip gone after only 10,700 miles of street riding. I've heard of it happening, but I didn't think it wouldn't happen this quickly! Now, if only they'd let us buy aftermarket exhausts in this ridiculous state...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130928_115655.jpg (116.8 KB, 148 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM

What year is that?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Stock exhaust tip gone after only 10,700 miles of street riding. I've heard of it happening, but I didn't think it wouldn't happen this quickly! Now, if only they'd let us buy aftermarket exhausts in this ridiculous state...

I brought my bike to California and it had this exhaust on it. they inspected the bike and i had no problems....

024 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would check with the dealer if there is warranty coverage or extended warranty coverage. If you search this site I am sure you will find others that have had this problem. It does not seem to be common but is not rare either. I've seen similar postings on this site, all seem to have had gen. 2 bikes.

You may be able to pick up a cheap stock exhaust from somebody who has installed a slip on or you could get creative.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-28-2013 at 08:09 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM

To register it in Cali, it needs to be stock. After that, do what you want with it, motorcycles don't get inspections after that as far as I know.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
To register it in Cali, it needs to be stock. After that, do what you want with it, motorcycles don't get inspections after that as far as I know.
Mine wasn't I had the yoshi exhaust,the admore light bar and several other obvious items on the bike. When i went to get it registered about 2 weeks later i got a notice to take the bike to the sheriffs dept. for another inspection there. All went well no issues at all. At the first inspection they wanted all the emissions stickers and frame and engine number and such. The emission info on the bike is on the lower left side of the gas tank.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:06 PM

Garage
Yoshi or Akra (don't remember which) can be had with cat AND ca cetification ... But they do are $$$

LOP
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...nd-exhaust-law

This is the latest way they're screwing us. Good luck finding aftermarket cans locally. The only one I can find is the Akra like Lours pointed out.. but for ~$600? I can grab a used Yoshi for maybe half the price, then pay all the fixit tickets and still have cash left over. This state really leaves me scratching my head sometimes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...nd-exhaust-law

This is the latest way they're screwing us. Good luck finding aftermarket cans locally. The only one I can find is the Akra like Lours pointed out.. but for ~$600? I can grab a used Yoshi for maybe half the price, then pay all the fixit tickets and still have cash left over. This state really leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

As long as you don't have a 2013 model the law doesn't apply....How will they know when your exhaust was purchased...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
As long as you don't have a 2013 model the law doesn't apply....How will they know when your exhaust was purchased...
It all depends on who pulls you over, really. Around here, local cops seem to be pretty understanding, but CHP will write you up in a heartbeat, guilty or not. I'm not too concerned, but my point is that it's a shame how hard they make it just to do something so mundane as changing an exhaust in this state. If they eased up on manufacturers, and let them make CARB-compliant exhausts at a reasonable db level without having to jump through all the hoops and swim through a sea of paperwork, we'd have so many more options. As it is, they're forcing our hands and leaving us with no real option other than exhausts without cats, which is counter to the reason for CARB to exist in this first place.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
It all depends on who pulls you over, really. Around here, local cops seem to be pretty understanding, but CHP will write you up in a heartbeat, guilty or not. I'm not too concerned, but my point is that it's a shame how hard they make it just to do something so mundane as changing an exhaust in this state. If they eased up on manufacturers, and let them make CARB-compliant exhausts at a reasonable db level without having to jump through all the hoops and swim through a sea of paperwork, we'd have so many more options. As it is, they're forcing our hands and leaving us with no real option other than exhausts without cats, which is counter to the reason for CARB to exist in this first place.
True. The Cali DMV is a lousy place to have to spend a day off having to deal with people who want to do as little work as possible. Instead of trying to be helpful they just send you to someone else that doesn't have a clue either.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Banned

Rip the label off an empty baked bean can & stick it in the new hole that you have!

I have a stock exhaust as the previous owner put a 2 Brothers on it (feckin' noisy!) but I don't suppose it's worth the mailing cost + the $50 l want for it!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Yoshi or Akra (don't remember which) can be had with cat AND ca cetification ... But they do are $$$
Thanks!

I looked them up. Akra has a cat anyway. By CA certification, do you mean Canada? It doesn't seem to have California's CARB approval. Though for my 2011 bike, not sure that matters.

From looking online I couldn't see any indication the Yoshi had a cat, which is too bad, since it costs less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode