cowl guards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation cowl guards

I had a mishap and my bike went over in some mud, no biggy but when i got home i noticed that there must have been some rocks too because my left cowl is all scratched i ordered a new one but i wanted guards either way do the hepco becker, sw-motech, or happy-trail guard protect that plastic or just the case? I want some that will keep the bike off the plastics, kawi guards are $249 but the happy trails is 189 and it advertises that it protects the plastics and gas tank? its $150 shipped for that plastic and i know ill be riding dirt and gravel again and i dont want to keep buying new plastics? Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 PM

There are a number of threads around about the various engine guards, I don't have personal experience with them but many here do.

I wish you had posted something before you ordered new plastic.
It's a simple thing to sand and repaint.
Mine are now black (orig. silver) and look much nicer thanks to some rattlecan action.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 AM

Hi Hurricane,

Sorry to hear your mishap.
Beside HB engine guard, handlebar protector, TAC650 came up with a brilliant idea of using a slider to the cowling.
Browse: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=cowling

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 AM

I saw another member on our forum used sliders for a 650 ninja. I thought it was a good idea and I did the same. I got the sliders from ebay. These might work and this set looks like it is the same as what I have except they are made from aluminum and not plastic. Here's a pic of them installed on my bike.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

nice how do they look though from i little further back, do they look awkward? i just order hb engine guards so i might just stick with them but i like the idea.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

My SWMotech guards protect it just fine from parking lot mishaps. Need to get my legs stretched...

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM

I would appreciate the "how to" on sanding and painting the plastic cowling. I am getting ready to order both cowling and radiator cover. Is there blue paint in the rattlecan that matches a '09 V? What grade of sandpaper did you use?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:39 AM

Ask and you shall receive.

Front

3/4 view

Side

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Tank cowling protection setup. Cost about US$ 12 plus DIY

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 AM

kawasaki cowling guard

I recently purchased the Kawasaki Cowling guard for my 09 versys, but it didn't have any instructions with it. Does anyone know where i can get the instructions? here's the cowling guard i purchased:

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/...CategoryID=167
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusiian View Post
I recently purchased the Kawasaki Cowling guard for my 09 versys, but it didn't have any instructions with it. Does anyone know where i can get the instructions? here's the cowling guard i purchased:

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/...CategoryID=167
See if you return them and buy real guards. There have been several failures of those "guards" in fairly simple, low speed or parking lot, drops. Considering that you can buy a set of H&B or SWMotech guards for less, you could definitely do better than that.

Gustavo

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM

+1 on Gustavo's comment. Consider getting the real deal.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 AM

do you have a link for the site you purchased that slider. Thanks
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker4055 View Post
do you have a link for the site you purchased that slider. Thanks
Here are some links, although I don't have any but get great protection with just the Hebco&Becker crash bars and Zeta hand guards as seen on stlee29's V but on Tag Metals T2 tapered aluminum handlebars, as well as with swingarm spool sliders and Happy Trails skid plate...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLIS...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Pai...Q5fAccessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHerder View Post
This is the reason you should NOT use frame sliders. ~15-20 mph lay down on gravel road.

This damage was done WITHOUT sliders. If I had sliders, I think I would have had much more damage (i.e. the sliders would have torn away more of the under lying structure since that bracket is just there to hold the fairing off the tank.)

BTW, Retail is ~ $107 for that bracket. Don't ask me how I know.

Paul
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 PM

advice on Motech & Hepco please

Somewhere someone had once said ( if I read it right), that the crash gaurd interfered with draining the oil.
Have no Idea which model, so I would like to ask the people who have the ' Hepco Becker ' or the ' SW Motech ' crash bars, do you have to loosen or unbolt the gaurd to work on the bike ???
I already saw the little strengthen mod for the SW Motech, and also a change in the front for the Hepco&Becker.
Want to buy and mount a set for the wife, doing a ride in southern Utah for Valentines. ............................ I heard That !!!

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:24 PM

Andreas : I have the H&B's, no prob with the oil change...I believe it was the skid plate that caused some issues with plug access...

PHerder: Can't imagine how damage could have been worse...That looks PFB

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 AM

stell29 do you have a link for the cowling protectors??? or can you post where you got them from???
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker4055 View Post
stell29 do you have a link for the cowling protectors??? or can you post where you got them from???
Hope I don't break any rules for posting links to eBay !!!

I have been looking for these as well, they are also called frame sliders. I think the ones stlee29 has are for a Ninja, Versys really does not have it's own. ( But I am sometimes wrong )
Here's what I have found that may fit, but please research before you buy !!! I don't want to be the one who may have lead you wrong
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330398665787&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140342343690&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370313245997&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290367572910&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

contractor Thanks for your input, I was sorta thinking along the same line. I am also leaning to the H&B , they look good and offer more top engine protection and radiator. Pegs will suffer either way I guess

I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Andreas : I have the H&B's, no prob with the oil change...I believe it was the skid plate that caused some issues with plug access...

PHerder: Can't imagine how damage could have been worse...That looks PFB
Hey Contractor - guess what I stumbled onto tonight................
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...09&postcount=8

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Oh snap, guy with the ugliest motorcycle on the planet in his avatar is starting the smack with the contradiction post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode