Test rode a Triumph Tiger and Speed Triple today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Test rode a Triumph Tiger and Speed Triple today

Hit the local dealer today, and test rode a 2010 Tiger SE, and a 2009 Speed Tripple with the Arrow package.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Those machines are really smooth, and quite a lot more powerful than the V, especially that Speed Triple. I liked the Speed Triple more than the Tiger. It's fueling was spot on, where as the Tiger was a little snatchy down low. The Speed also pulled quite a bit harder. It would take me a little while to learn how to use the power of that machine. Second gear wheelies are really easy, just roll it on. The suspension on the Speed was also nicer than the Tiger. The Tiger, while not set up for me, was softer,and suffered from nose dive when on the binders. Probably nothing a little tweaking wouldn't fix. Both machines reminded me of how hard the suspension on the V really is. The Tiger is silly comfy. The ergos are perfect for me, very much like the V. As I mentioned both bikes were very, very smooth. The trannys shifted very nicely, although I did hit a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd on the Tiger. Both machines really felt like quality. Triumph builds a good bike.

I was pretty impressed with both machines, but the biggest lesson of the day was just how good the V is. I realized that I don't need to be in any sort of hurry to replace the V. It has lots of power, and power that I can use without going ape **** crazy. It is more fun to use all the power you have, than only be able to use 80% of the power 95% of the time. The V is comfy enough, and will be more so with my new saddle on it's way. The V is 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of the big triumphs, so all in all I feel well pleased to have been able to test both bikes, and while the Tiger might well be my next machine, I am in no hurry to get one.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 AM

I agree with you Red Herring.
When I rode those 2 back to back I found the Tiger was slightly smoother fuelling than the Triple, but they are both GREAT bikes and put the suspension of the V to shame.
Ted.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 AM

I also thought about both bikes before i got the V and also thought about the 650 strom but came to the conclusion the V would fill my needs now just fine for less money. Never have regretted the V. Best of my long list of bikes owned for the money. I used to ride with a guy that had the tiger when i had the BMW GS 1150 and traded one day with him. BMW was a better ride and more power. They have improved the tiger since then some. Don't get me wrong the tiger was nice but a little boreing for me. Great bike to travel on. The V has me covered for my 100-200 mile day trips and still enough houligan power to play with and a great price tag. Can buy it and another bike for the price of some. I could get into big trouble with the power of the speed triple and wouldn't be as versitale for me. I really got burned in my early years when i bought a new 750 Bonnevile and they stopped makeing them. Good bike but developed a leak in the trans seal and sat for 6 weeks waiting for a seal for an new bike. Wasn't worth much when they stopped production and dealers dried up. Kind of stuck with me all these years. Realize it is a new co. now but not the best dealer network where i am. Stuck with one dealer. That plays into my bike purchases nowdays.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM

I rode the street triple right before buying my V. I came close to getting the Speed, but I realized that the only thing I really liked about it was the motor, and 90% of the time I couldn't use even half of that glorious power. The V won because it's more useful everyday.

Last edited by schleppy; 06-22-2009 at 07:51 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 AM

I agree schleppy. I so nearly bought the Speed Triple even though it was totally unsuitable for what I want just because of that glorious engine.
ted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode