Storm Wrecked Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Storm Wrecked Versys

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 2008 V with approx 8,500 miles that Hurricane Sandy decided to drop a huge chunk of my house on last year.

Seems like most of the force went up front, I'm hoping that the frame and forks aren't bent, but don't really know how to check (nothing looks obviously out of whack). Lots of fun scrambling to throw flour and sand on the ruptured gas tank dumping its contents into the basement where the boiler is!

I'm moderately handy in general, but haven't done any work on the bike beyond chain tension/oil changes. Not sure if buying replacement parts and fixing is the way to go, or if I should take the knocks and sell as a donor bike or as a fixer-upper to someone more experienced than me. My rough estimate of parts from looking at partshark dot com is $2100-$2300. Not sure current prices, but I'm guessing the bike in good condition is probably worth $3500 or so?

This broke my heart, rode the bike daily. If you're very emotionally attached to your V, I suggest closing this thread now!

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Aww, man!
That sucks!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
Aww, man!
That sucks!
Thanks, Pecko, no arguments here! What really sucks is I went back and forth on whether to bring the bike into the front yard from the street. What doesn't suck is that I wasn't putting them there when the rock came down!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Part it out and buy another V..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MickeyMan. Thought about that, but don't think I have the knowledge, time, or patience to go that route. Wouldn't know where to start, and don't think I could deal with a year or more of unbolting components and mailing (sometimes v. heavy) bits around the country.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Check ebay for parts a lot cheaper that way. I'll bet the inner cowling bracket is bent. Heres what one looks like..http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-Ve...e953e1&vxp=mtr .Had to replace mine when i got hit by a car. It was hard to tell but the windscreen was crooked and the side cowling on one side was a pain to line up to get on.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 PM

Time for mods.
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...p?t=23683#fref

09 versys (GREEN)
06 vulcan 2000
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbriel View Post
Thanks MickeyMan. Thought about that, but don't think I have the knowledge, time, or patience to go that route. Wouldn't know where to start, and don't think I could deal with a year or more of unbolting components and mailing (sometimes v. heavy) bits around the country.
A year? lol a mate of mine wrecked his GPx250 and we stripped it down in about 4 hours. He has zero mechanical knowledge and I have some but certainly not a mechanic. I must admit I had all the tools we needed.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 04:13 AM

Do you have insurance?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 AM

Yeah I would part it out and buy a replacement. The skills and patience needed to strip and sell it are way less than the skills and patience that is going to be needed to put it back together. Coupled with the fact that you may spend a lot of money, time, and patience to put it back together only to find significant structural problems to the point where you shouldn't be riding the bike. I can't imagine how the stress necessary to break your handlebar riser in half wouldn't also bend your frame.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

@weljo2001: I'll bet you are right about the cowling bracket. eBay is a good idea.

@remcbride: That looks wicked!

@MaverickAus: I didn't mean it would take a year to break down (though it would certainly take me more than 4 hours) - I meant it's gonna be a long time before all the bits are sold. The PITA of packing and mailing is a factor too.

@kiwitourer: I had full insurance on my wife's Vespa off to the side in the pics, but not the V. Fortunately the landlords (my Aunt and Uncle) got some money from their homeowners insurance and gave me some of that. I am trying to be fairly frugal right now, so my budget cap for whatever I do is probably $3K.

@Zatx: See above re: resistance to parting out. Very good points about skill/patience/potential bad outcome after fixing, and frame. Based on your comments, IF I did try to repair, I would make sure to have a mechanic look at the frame before starting. I did send the photos to my mechanic a while ago and he said it wasn't worth paying him to fix it. I know a guy who will is offering $500 for the bike, and I'm pretty sure I can get him to $800. Not sure if I'd do better on Craig's List or eBay, but that's another option.

Thanks for the input, guys, it's very helpful.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Garage
That thing just looks like a mess. Its not that bad i would pick up parts as they came available off of ebay mostly. My bike was hit by a car and using ebay i got it back in shape for less than $500.00 and did the work myself. That'll be 2 years on Nov and i'm by no means a mechanic. No way i would let the bike go anywhere near that price. The most expensive thing will be the tank. I've seen risers and the front brake items that are broke there for cheap. If you were in or close to California i'd take it off your hands

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I know a guy who will is offering $500 for the bike, and I'm pretty sure I can get him to $800. Not sure if I'd do better on Craig's List or eBay, but that's another option.

Your Michelin PR3's look pretty new.. that's $200 easily right there. The stock wheels I would guess around $200 as well. T-Rex frame sliders $40. Ram GPS mount $20. Stock instrument cluster $50. There is darn near $500 and would take about 15-20 minutes with a wrench. Spend an hour with that wrench and you would easily be up to $1000. Now take that $3000 budget, add to it the $1000 from parts and you've got yourself a new to you V with low miles and no storm damage.

I'm guessing there isn't a ton of sentimental attachment to this bike since you only have 8500 miles on it in 5 years, but I could be mistaken.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Garage
The cheapest i've seen on ebay for the Tach/Spedo (used) was $245.00 shipped that only takes a few minutes to disconnect. I have a spare one i keep just in case because it came attached to the inner cowling bracket i needed which also had the windscreen bracket on it. I was the highest bidder at $117.00 shipped for all those goodies. A new Tach/Speedo is over $500.00. I already gave my windscreen brackets to somebody else that was in a crash or i would have offered them to you for free.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Garage
Look here good timing for you......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=41250

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Why isn't your insurance covering the damage? Especially if the total is less than it's worth? It looks pretty bad though, and I am so sorry for your loss. One other question, was the bike in Brooklyn when it got damaged? The reason I ask, is that my son lives on St. Marks Place in Park Slope and he had no weather issues? Good luck to you.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

@massconn72: I'm just down the road from your son in South Slope. This wasn't recent, it was during Sandy last year. There was a fair amount of trees down etc. I had comprehensive on the Vespa, not the V. Won't make that mistake again.

@weljo2001: Thanks for the info on the tach. Thanks also for the link! Looking at that pricing makes me rethink my resistance to parting out!

@Zatx: Yeah, front is at least 80%, rear has probably less than 150 miles. There's some attachment, but it was mostly a daily commuter bike with occasional 150-200 mile rides upstate. I bought used with 4K on about 3 years ago (so 2 years of riding - still not massive mileage). I did really enjoy riding it.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbriel View Post
@massconn72: I'm just down the road from your son in South Slope. This wasn't recent, it was during Sandy last year. There was a fair amount of trees down etc. I had comprehensive on the Vespa, not the V. Won't make that mistake again.

@weljo2001: Thanks for the info on the tach. Thanks also for the link! Looking at that pricing makes me rethink my resistance to parting out!

@Zatx: Yeah, front is at least 80%, rear has probably less than 150 miles. There's some attachment, but it was mostly a daily commuter bike with occasional 150-200 mile rides upstate. I bought used with 4K on about 3 years ago (so 2 years of riding - still not massive mileage). I did really enjoy riding it.
Oh, I do remember Sandy. After what we went through with Irene, we were just waiting for six more days with now power here in CT, but for whatever reason our lights didn't even flicker. Just lucky. Sorry to see what happened to your '08. I have the same year.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 AM

is the radiator any good? anyone know if it will fit a 2013 650 v?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode