Stupid gravel (laid it over) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stupid gravel (laid it over)

Laid it over, in a parking lot, in front of a bunch of nursing students.

I get out of medical terminology class and fire up the V to go home. I was probably going a bit too fast, but so was the truck that I was trying to avoid. I'm rolling up to a T in the parking lot that is lined with parked cars and am going to make a right to the exit to the road. I start to turn and a big, black chevy truck comes rolling up, going in the direction I was turning. I was NOT going that fast...maybe 3 or 4 mph. So, to avoid getting smacked by the truck, I slam on the brakes. I WOULD have stopped...upright, had my front tire not been smack in the middle of one of those packed down in a little dip, piles of gravel that looks JUST like the freakin' asphalt.

So, my wheel is already turned and the front wheel locks up *CRASH* down on my right side I go. I'm more embarrassed than anything at this point. The bike is still running. Right as I go to hit the kill switch, it dies. My foot is pinned under the rear passenger handle thing. The guy in the chevy stops and gets out and a herd of nursing students all rush over to see if I'm okay. One girl insisted she look at my knee. I scraped my knee and elbow kinda bad (I didn't have my riding jacket on ), and the V has some paint missing now, but all I am is a bit sore.

GAR! That is the first time (outside of the motorcycle safety course) that I have laid a bike down. I'm grateful it wasn't at high speed or anything, but it shook me a little bit. I'm not certain if ABS would have prevented that, but I kinda think it would have. Honestly, I've had worse wrecks on my mountain bike, but as soon as finances allow, I'll probably be getting something with ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 AM

i'm glad you didn't suffer any serious injury. looking back, was there anything you could have done differently to avoid the spill? Who had the right of way when the truck was approaching?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Laid it over, in a parking lot, in front of a bunch of nursing students....I'm not certain if ABS would have prevented that, but I kinda think it would have. Honestly, I've had worse wrecks on my mountain bike, but as soon as finances allow, I'll probably be getting something with ABS.
Probably NOT! If you notice when you read about a bike w/ ABS, they'll mention whether or not you can turn the ABS off for riding dirt/ gravel. That's because the ABS CAN lock the wheels on loose surfaces....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
was there anything you could have done differently to avoid the spill?
I could have been going a little slower; however, if my wheel was in the same spot at a slower speed I still would have locked it up. Could have helped, but then again maybe not.

Quote:
ABS CAN lock the wheels on loose surfaces....
Really? hmmm. I assume motorcycle ABS is similar to a cars? I'll have to look in to that.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If you had not grabbed the front brake do you think you would have went down. A lot of guys just try to use way too much front brake.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you had not grabbed the front brake do you think you would have went down.
Possibly. I normally don't use much front brake at all, mostly engine braking. But the circumstances for this fall were just nuts. Another reason I went down is because once I hit the brakes, and my wheel locked up, that truck was still coming, so I instinctively turned the wheel harder to the right. I think my sub conscious mind was thinking *better to have a scraped knee and a bruised ego than be under that truck tire*
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM

Glad you and the bike came out pretty much ok!

"I scraped my knee and elbow kinda bad" That's why many of us wear gear pretty much all the time....you never know!

You were going slow in a parking lot and got banged up. With a riding jacket you probably would've just brushed off. ABS is not a be all end all. To me, it's more a part of a 'system' to help you as a rider but your experience and gear would be part of that system as well.

Hope you got a cute nurse's phone number!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Possibly. I normally don't use much front brake at all, mostly engine braking. But the circumstances for this fall were just nuts. Another reason I went down is because once I hit the brakes, and my wheel locked up, that truck was still coming, so I instinctively turned the wheel harder to the right. I think my sub conscious mind was thinking *better to have a scraped knee and a bruised ego than be under that truck tire*
Yea when your in a joust with a truck the truck wins. A buddy of mine went down alittle while back. Grabbed the front brake and sand was on the road.Went down quick and hard.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Was your wheel already turned for your righthander? If so that may well have had as much to do with your drop as the road conditions. Check around here and you'll find plenty of people relating experiences in which they attempt to come to a stop with the front wheel turned, and eat dirt for their efforts...

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned

Stupid gravel ?
dumber than a box of rocks
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Garage
ABS would not of helped in this situation. I have locked the rear plenty of times on gravel and I know the ABS does not work at low speed.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM

I'll tell my story just to make you feel better. A few days after buying my Versys I was turning off the main road onto a side road and I took the turn too wide.

Instead of looking down the road at where I wanted to be, I grabbed the brakes and stopped right at the edge of the pavement. Well, the bike's a little tall for me on a normal basis (I hadn't installed my lowering link yet). And at the edge of the pavement the ground was an extra inch away on my right.

So I fell over at a standstill and cracked the right side fairing. DOH!

That was when I decided for sure that I needed the lowering link. And that night I learned how to repair a cracked fairing!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 PM

Ouch, bruised pride. That will take a week or two to heal... (been there, done that..)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Was your wheel already turned for your righthander?
Yep. It happened so fast though. I didn't have time, or space to straighten out before grabbing the brakes. That gravel was like ball bearings. Straight dirt would have given better traction...made for a softer landing too.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah as mentioned, you used too much front brake while turning on gravel, and ABS would not have helped at such a low speed.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:48 PM

One more chunk of hard earned experience that will make you a better operator. Glad you're OK.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
you used too much front brake while turning on gravel
It was emergency braking and the gravel was very well camouflaged , but I catch your meaning. I tend to do all of my braking before the turn and accelerate gradually through it.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
I'll tell my story just to make you feel better. A few days after buying my Versys I was turning off the main road onto a side road and I took the turn too wide.

Instead of looking down the road at where I wanted to be, I grabbed the brakes and stopped right at the edge of the pavement. Well, the bike's a little tall for me on a normal basis (I hadn't installed my lowering link yet). And at the edge of the pavement the ground was an extra inch away on my right.

So I fell over at a standstill and cracked the right side fairing. DOH!

That was when I decided for sure that I needed the lowering link. And that night I learned how to repair a cracked fairing!
If I am reading you correctly, what you are clearly saying is that you feel having ABS would have kept you out of trouble in this particular situation, right? I'm fairly perceptive that way.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 PM

Even braking without turning, on less than ideal surfaces... The Versys is in fact prone to understeer and front tire washout. Mediocre OEM Dunlops don't help much either.

Last edited by invader; 09-25-2013 at 11:23 PM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode