30 mph wind gusts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
30 mph wind gusts

So, as we get clearer (dryer) weather out west, I had planned on taking a day trip up in the mountains on Friday.

However, the weather forecast is indicating 30 mph wind gusts throughout the day. For the more experienced riders out there, should I be concerned and maybe postpone my trip?
I will be riding mostly curvy 2-lane roads with a section in the mountains. Speeds will probably not exceed 50 mph.

I have read some of the posts on how to handle excessive crosswinds, but I'd rather keep my concentation on the road - especially on the curvy ones...

Am I being paranoid, or should I just ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM

30 mph wind gusts have never moved me off my mark, but I wasn't on curvey roads. I found the Versys to be easier to handle in crosswinds than my 650 V-Star, which surprised me, since it is taller and lighter than the Star.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM

I think the wind gusts aren't a great problem for bike's handle, but your driving will not be relaxing and funny.

Bye

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM

I came back from Tucson to Scottsdale on the freeway with 30mph+ cross winds on the V.

It wasn't great, but stay relaxed and stick your knee out, into the side that the wind is coming from. Keeping your speed down also helps.

Machog

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM

I ride for pleasure and riding in crosswonds is not fun. At the least in gusty conditions you will be buffeted and caused to lean and jerk. Since it sounds like your ride is for pleasure, why bother. Relaxing is not easy in those conditions and my recent experience two weeks ago confirmed that staying home in 30-40 mph winds (at least for open road riding) is simply more fun than fighting the elements.

BTW, the canyons in CO can both block the wind and channel the wind. This leads to even worse conditions where I went from zero wind, to severe wind and back. My sphincter can't take that stress!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys - I thought as much.
Since I want it to be more of a fun, relaxing and enjoyable ride - I guess I'll postpone.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM

It might prove to be a learning experience. Most of the problems come from trying to fight the wind. The side wind will cause the bike to lean into the wind until it reaches a state of equilibrium, and any effort to fight it will result in destabilization. This is the biggest reason for suddenly swapping lanes. I just ride relaxed and allow the bike to lean as far as it wants. It feels weird at first, but one gets used to it.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Here's something to think about. If you will be in a wooded ares then the trees will protect you from most of the cross winds.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 AM

30 mph winds are not enjoyable, but the bike handles well in them. Like others have said, just relax and the bike will be easier to control.

The biggest pain with those winds, IMO, is not getting pushed around in your lane, but is the buffeting and getting your head knocked around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode