Proud New Versys Owner WooHoo!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Proud New Versys Owner WooHoo!!

Was on the fence on whether to pull the trigger end of season or wait it out till 2014. And thanks to those that posted on that thread, I read and re-read it all.

We went up to our dealer to pick up my wife's new helmet that we ordered. We had been there a couple weeks ago and demo'd the Versys. I let the dealer know I was set on the V, but was considering waiting out winter for a 2014. So on our last visit he made a pretty significant cut on price and we went for it. Walking away from the dealer at least once really is a great negotiating tool.

Got to ride her home last night, dealer is a lovely 40-50 miles from my house. Took the scenic ride home.... I'm so in love with this thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Kawi.jpg (62.5 KB, 127 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Go the good blue thing

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Good things come to those who wait.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 PM

Welcome and congratulations. It is always so hard to wait once you've made up your mind.
It would have been a looooooooooooong winter...

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 02:44 PM

The Versys definitely looks good in blue (mine is red.) Enjoy your new toy!!!!!! Do you mind sharing what it cost ya?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Yee Ha!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
The Versys definitely looks good in blue (mine is red.) Enjoy your new toy!!!!!! Do you mind sharing what it cost ya?
The way I evaluated my options this is what I came up with:

2014 at $7999+ fee's, tax, etc and no incentives comes out to around $9200

2013 first offer was $8700 out the door

2013 second offer was $8100 out the door, which I took

I seen a few on craigslist in my general area 09's or so between 4k and 6k with various farkles and milage. I'm reluctant to buy a bike from a private seller over the internet so that was off the table for me.

ABS is nice and all but this bike non-ABS already has 1000x the stopping power and maneuverability of my old 1980 honda cm400. Plus I really dig the blue over green/black. I considered waiting till winter/spring and maybe I would have got an even better price than I did. But if it did sell I'd be looking at that $9000+ price tag next year, for my second choice in color. Paying $1000+ extra for ABS and a color I'm not in love with pushed me over the edge. Well, that and wanting to ride it every day till the roads freeze over...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 PM

I've got the maroon one, or whatever color that is. Welcome! Don't forget to use the motoman break in method
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

So I'be barely had it 24hrs, worked a full day, and have clocked over 100 miles. Using the motoman method break in as closely as traffic and my balls will allow. A youtuber, Jake the garden snake also recommends the motoman method. He also says as a mechanic he almost never has to adjust valves on a first service on a new bike. Should I take this in to the dealer as they recommend or just flush the oil early and put in some high quality synthetic? Your thoughts please.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Was on the fence on whether to pull the trigger end of season or wait it out till 2014. And thanks to those that posted on that thread, I read and re-read it all.

We went up to our dealer to pick up my wife's new helmet that we ordered. We had been there a couple weeks ago and demo'd the Versys. I let the dealer know I was set on the V, but was considering waiting out winter for a 2014. So on our last visit he made a pretty significant cut on price and we went for it. Walking away from the dealer at least once really is a great negotiating tool.

Got to ride her home last night, dealer is a lovely 40-50 miles from my house. Took the scenic ride home.... I'm so in love with this thing.
Nice looking bike. Suggest engine crash bars to keep it nice looking.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
So I'be barely had it 24hrs, worked a full day, and have clocked over 100 miles. Using the motoman method break in as closely as traffic and my balls will allow. A youtuber, Jake the garden snake also recommends the motoman method. He also says as a mechanic he almost never has to adjust valves on a first service on a new bike. Should I take this in to the dealer as they recommend or just flush the oil early and put in some high quality synthetic? Your thoughts please.

Change the oil now with regular dinosaur oil, then at 1500 miles go full synthetic. You might be surprised how much metal is in the pan from that first oil change. Don't bother with the first service at the dealership, the stuff that needs done you can do. It's basically going around the bike and doing a visual check for leaking fluids, loose bolts, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.

Last edited by Zatx; 09-25-2013 at 06:59 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd add to that: change your oil now (including filter), ride some more then change again at 500 miles, then again at 1,000 before you go synthetic at 1,500 or 2,000.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give her a change tomorrow while I have a day off. Just curious, why stick with "dino oil" (love that term btw) for 1500?

Off topic: Day 2 of versys splendor, first thing in the morning after getting the kids on the school bus.

Gotta love morning woods

They re-rocked this road, was expecting some decent hard-pack but got thick gravel. Should have turned around, but where's the adventure in that? Prob should order them crash bars asap.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 03:08 PM

GreenT, the thinking is that dino oil lets the engine break-in and the rings to wear in/seat whereas synthetic is 'to slippery' so speak to let things work in.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM

And great choice !!!!

'15 DL1000
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM

Welcome Nice color bike I like the blue and the white of the 2013 models
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give her a change tomorrow while I have a day off. Just curious, why stick with "dino oil" (love that term btw) for 1500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
GreenT, the thinking is that dino oil lets the engine break-in and the rings to wear in/seat whereas synthetic is 'to slippery' so speak to let things work in.

El Tig nailed it. Synthetic is too slick for proper break in.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the info guys. This forum has be come my new temple.

One more question, oem oil filers or is there a better after market?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:14 AM

For new bikes, maintain OEM parts as long as possible to qualify for warranty. I don't think they're too costly and easily available too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode