When to Sell - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When to Sell

I have a fully farkled '07 with about 65000 km on it. Absolutely love the bike, but have been wondering lately if I should sell while it has any value at all. I was actually thinking about getting one with less kms, stripping down mine and using the good stuff on the next one. So, the question is, do I ride this one into the ground, sell it for a newer one, or something in between. Any idea what major repairs are in my future, or do these things go forever(ish)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 PM

It always costs you something to sell. Significant changes since the Versys was introduced are minor. 65,000 km isn't all that much if you maintain the bike well. Explore this forum and you won't find lots of threads dealing with mechanical problems because the Versys is pretty much stone ax reliable.

Until Kawasaki comes out with a totally new Versys that you like, or until you find something else you like better, I say keep what you have and ride it when you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It always costs you something to sell. Significant changes since the Versys was introduced are minor. 65,000 km isn't all that much if you maintain the bike well. Explore this forum and you won't find lots of threads dealing with mechanical problems because the Versys is pretty much stone ax reliable.

Until Kawasaki comes out with a totally new Versys that you like, or until you find something else you like better, I say keep what you have and ride it when you can.
That's very sound advice IMHO.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

I also agree with Bones! Some riders have 100k plus!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Have asked myself that question alot over the last year. I have too much in my bike to sell it even if i took most of the stuff off. Some of the items would need to be taken off at the shop and that would just be a waste of money. So i'm going to hang onto the Versy about 2 more years. If Kawi hasn't brought the V1000 to the states or at least put a bigger engine in it i won't be buying another Versys. Love my Versys but i just need something with a little more motor. Been looking at the Ducati Hyperstrada but i think the Multistrada will be my next bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 PM

Weljo, if the Versys 1000 is available up here in Canada why is it not available in the US? I could see if we were talking about Europe and North America, but Canada/ US? What's the difference?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cficare View Post
Weljo, if the Versys 1000 is available up here in Canada why is it not available in the US? I could see if we were talking about Europe and North America, but Canada/ US? What's the difference?
I know its really sucks for us. On top of that you can get one in mexico also.I came close last year to go to canada to get one then register it in texas where i have a home also. Then take it to california where i stay most of the time. To register a bike in california that been brought in from out of state you need to have 7500 miles on it. Was just to big of a pain to have to go through. Hoping they will bring it here soon.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 AM

Garage
If you have it modified and set up the way you like with money in those aftermarket parts, and you're not looking for a radically different kind of motorcycle, then I'd say: Keep the Versys.

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:03 AM

Gsus, I have an 07 with 100k kms on it. I recently made the difficult decision to change bikes (difficult because I really love the Versys). The dealer I bought my new bike from was unwilling to accept the V in trade, saying that given its milage, none of his customers would be interested in it. So I'll be selling it myself in the spring. Another dealer offered me $2000 for it, which I found insulting. That dealer also told me that as far as he was concerned, a bike's value went into steep decline after 50k kms. So it would appear you have to do the swap before that to get any decent money out of a bike. Personally, I can't see any reason why the Versys wouldn't last indefinitely, and if it weren't for a couple of ergonomic issues I have with it I would keep it until one or the other of us expired.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Gsus, I have an 07 with 100k kms on it. I recently made the difficult decision to change bikes (difficult because I really love the Versys). The dealer I bought my new bike from was unwilling to accept the V in trade, saying that given its milage, none of his customers would be interested in it. So I'll be selling it myself in the spring. Another dealer offered me $2000 for it, which I found insulting. That dealer also told me that as far as he was concerned, a bike's value went into steep decline after 50k kms. So it would appear you have to do the swap before that to get any decent money out of a bike. Personally, I can't see any reason why the Versys wouldn't last indefinitely, and if it weren't for a couple of ergonomic issues I have with it I would keep it until one or the other of us expired.
just out of curiosity .What could you expect to get for your versys in Canada with 100k ?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:18 AM

If you're waffling, I'd say keep it. My observations on used bike values in my neck of the woods seem to suggest a private-party price floor for bikes of ANY type, and even age, of about $2500-3000 in good condition, though not many end up with much over 40-50,000 miles on them. Your '07 is probably in that value range already (I doubt I'd get more than $4k for my 12,000-mi. '09; in fact, a local dealer even gave me that as a trade-in number, which surprised the heck out of me), so it's not likely that you'll leave all that much dough on the table hanging onto it for a little while longer 'til you truly make up your mind.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
I have a fully farkled '07 with about 65000 km on it. Absolutely love the bike, but have been wondering lately if I should sell while it has any value at all. I was actually thinking about getting one with less kms, stripping down mine and using the good stuff on the next one. So, the question is, do I ride this one into the ground, sell it for a newer one, or something in between. Any idea what major repairs are in my future, or do these things go forever(ish)?
FWIW - my '08 has 43,000 miles (69,660 kms), while my '09 has 38,500 kms (23,870 miles). I have NO plans to replace EITHER, altho' jdrocks' "gravel-runner" at $4250 is SURELY tempting...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Point taken about it not depreciating a whole lot more than it already has. There are a few bikes I would like to own alongside my V, but haven't found anything worthy of replacing it. Keeping it!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
just out of curiosity .What could you expect to get for your versys in Canada with 100k ?
I'd like to get $3000, but I fear that might be optimistic. Pretty much every Versys I've seen on Kijiji has been $4k and up, regardless of age/mileage, but I haven't come across any with similar mileage to mine. We'll see come spring.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:18 PM

Mt. V--a dealer offering $2k for an '07 with 100k km is actually right at bluebook value so don't be insulted!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 PM

You're right, that is the blue book value. It's just a little heartbreaking when the bike is in such good shape. Its value to me is much higher. The goal will be to find a buyer who shares that opinion!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You can currently pick up a 20-25K km Versys for ~$4000 so $2000 seems high for a 100K km bike. I would suggest selling your farkles separately though as buyers don't factor in the cost of them.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-24-2013 at 11:38 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 AM

That's my winter project, taking it back to stock.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Garage
Sell ...... ? what does this mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode