Longest Ride? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Longest Ride?

What is the longest ride you've done? I have riden my V for about 2.5 hrs / 170 KM on mostly highway roads. The bike seemed fine. I am glad I had the ability to sit straight up as well as crouch forward. Riding for that long did make me want to get some highway pegs. I did take to stretching my legs now and then. Anyone done any long rides on their V? like 5-8 hrs, obviously including pit stops. Trying to get a sense of endurance ( both man and machine)

Cheers,
Colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 AM

I went from Las Vegas to Prescott AZ, through Jerome down to Flagstaff and back. In that span I clocked almost 800 miles and the bike rode great the whole way. Great power and comfort. I put a sheepskin cover on the seat from Alaskaleather.com and when I needed a change I would put my feet on the passenger pegs and tuck in behind the windscreen.

Great ride. I can't wait to do another one. The only thing I would change is a more comfortable seat (for long hauls). In town the stock seat is fine but for a long time you start to notice the places without support more.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 AM

Longest so far has been 3 hours. Taking back roads from the valley to the coast on twisty roads at about 45mph. I'm waiting for good weather on a weekend to try a 6 hour ride to southeastern Oregon, a trip to Seattle up the freeway, and a trip along the coast to San Jose.

Come on good weather!!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 AM

I do road trips every week for work. My bike sits in many hotel parking lots. Some trips are 500 miles and some a 1000. Did MANY 500 mile days on my previous bike, the Bonneville, and now on the V for the last 5 months.

The V is more comfortable. I don't rest enough either. I just keep filling up with gas and go, gas and go, etc. I do stop for meals though. Drink enough water.

The thing is, what is good for my setup can also be not good for you. Ride and see what you need to change or modify. For instance, on any ride over an hour and a half, I wear a weight-lifting back brace. Now my back never gets stiff but before that it did.

I use a throttle lock only for very short times so I can move my right arm just a bit.

As you ride, just wiggle and move a bit to keep the muscles limber. Exercise to keep your muscles strong and enduring.

I won't do 1000 mile days because after 8 or 10 hours of riding, my reflexes and fine motor skills are not the same. I just want to stay alive and not set records.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 AM

5 hours has been my longest

biggest complaint:

The seat is angled forward so after a while you slide forward and crush your boys. I'll be getting that Corbin seat when it comes out.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 AM

Twice I have two 3-hour rides in one day, with a few hours break in between. I have found the bike plenty comfortable. My knees start to ache a bit towards the end of the day.

So far I think the stock seat is fine. My previous bike was Triumph Thunderbird. That had a horrible seat that I eventually had redone by Bill Mayer Saddles. I don't know if I will do that with the Versys.

-Alan
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
5 hours has been my longest

biggest complaint:

The seat is angled forward so after a while you slide forward and crush your boys. I'll be getting that Corbin seat when it comes out.
You should all look in the modification section under the seat mod. I did it myself , like others, and found it to be MUCH nicer. No need to get a whole new seat. Just file out some padding in back and then staple the seat cover back. It is really easy. Or have a local refurb place do it for you.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Hi atgatt,

How much milage have you racked up? and how is the bike holding up? Any tips on dealing with the vibration on the throttle handle?

Cheers,
Colin
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:22 PM

I suggest padded bike shorts. The spandex ones always made for a comfortable ride plus they are chamois lined to keep your boys dry and helps with swamp ass.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvienna View Post
Hi atgatt,

How much milage have you racked up? and how is the bike holding up? Any tips on dealing with the vibration on the throttle handle?

Cheers,
Colin
About 17,000 in 5 months. Bike has been flawless in very cold and hot weather so far. Always starts right up and runs great. And that's spending most time in parking lots, not garaged.

For throttle handle, don't take off your bar weights to put on hand guards. I left my on even with the hand guards I bought, but there is a trick to that.

I added tennis racket wrap and wrapped it around both grips (bought two). Makes the grip a bit larger but more comfortable with giving very good feel. Looks good too.

Put on a Vista throttle lock so I could stretch my right arm just briefly sometimes. Got the one that clamps around the grip. Easy to put on and works very good. Wait, I did have to file it here and there, come to think of it. Even with your hand still on the throttle, open and close your hands from time to time. Position yourself so you are not pressing on your hands so much when you ride. Keep your arms and elbows relaxed on the hwy.

No matter what, I still get stiff. It is a matter of not making it painful so that you really WANT to get off the bike. Or that you can't ride the next day because you are so sore.

Hope that helps even though I'm no expert at all. My only teacher is many long hours in the saddle in all kinds of weather. Still, I have read a lot of books on riding, safety and distance riding. You won't catch me at an Iron Butt rally though.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Using tennis racket wrap is a pretty good idea! Both my kids are tennis pros (not really, high school team)! I don't know why I didn't think of this...

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
....Did MANY 500 mile days on my previous bike, the Bonneville, and now on the V for the last 5 months....
Hi atgatt,

I was wondering if you were the same guy that was on the RAT Forum. I followed the dialog of your Bonneville woes. I still have mine. But it's completely different than the Versys.

jb
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvienna View Post
Hi atgatt,
... Any tips on dealing with the vibration on the throttle handle?...Colin
I use neoprene grip wraps to dampen the vibration.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

And riding gloves that have gel embedded in the palm.

jb
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:11 AM

hi colin just came back from a 3000 mile tour of france and spain this week no probs bike superb and really comfy for my 5ft 8in hight cruising speed normally 80ish but kept it at 100 on the long boring stretches in spain down to 50 60 on the country lanes in france tank range about 250 miles really good on petrol longest days riding from lorett de mar in spain to vivonne in france 690 miles a lot of it in heavy rain and could still walk round town looking for a restaurant. changed the tyres to avon distancias more off roady brilliant both on and off road andhard wearing to .hope this answers your qestion yours paul.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Hi atgatt,

I was wondering if you were the same guy that was on the RAT Forum. I followed the dialog of your Bonneville woes. I still have mine. But it's completely different than the Versys.

jb
Yes, that was me on the RAT forum. Great guys on that forum too. No doubt if I didn't have all those problems I'd still have that bike. Life goes on and I thank God that I can still ride and pray I can ride into my very old age. I want to die young.....but at an old age.

The Bonneville is what it is, but it didn't take long to see that the Versys is a better bike overall, but what makes one person happy doesn't mean it's for everyone else.

I do find this particular Versys forum very civil and kind compared to some others.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 11:17 AM

I did 250 miles yesterday. The seat has to go.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I did 250 miles yesterday. The seat has to go.
Are you sure the seat has to go or do you think a modification of it will do?

If you read in the "mod" section of this forum, others, including me, have just leveled out the high portion of the back of the seat so you don't get pushed forward so much. Also, what pants you wear matters.

The overall shape and foam used on the seat is good, but the angle is not. Why spend money when you may not need to?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Are you sure the seat has to go or do you think a modification of it will do?

If you read in the "mod" section of this forum, others, including me, have just leveled out the high portion of the back of the seat so you don't get pushed forward so much. Also, what pants you wear matters.

The overall shape and foam used on the seat is good, but the angle is not. Why spend money when you may not need to?
I guess I should have been more specific...I'm going to do the seat mod and see how that works for me. I have never modded a seat before, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Cvienna...get some of these...very much helps with vibtating hand. Also a pair of gloves with gell padding.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153906
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Cvienna...get some of these...very much helps with vibtating hand. Also a pair of gloves with gell padding.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153906
Guess I should have got these but since the tennis wrap is doing the trick, I'll stick with them.

Use various style files to do the seat. Power grinder is too hard to use. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode