$50 Drivers Licence Renewal WA=Rip off1 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
$50 Drivers Licence Renewal WA=Rip off1

Just renewed my drivers licence. $25.00 for a car and $25.00 for a motorcycle endorsement-what total crap.

Any other states pull this type of rubbishy trick?

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM

New Jersey just raised it registration fees for motos. I renewed in April so im good till next year.

New Jersey drivers should prepare to dig deeper. The state Motor Vehicle Commission voted on Tuesday to hike many of the fees that motorists pay.

The cost to take a commercial driver's license exam is now $125 -- a $90 increase. Boat owner's certificates were $20 or $30; they now cost $60.

But the MVC heard it the most from motorcycle riders, who argued against the higher annual registration fee. It has more than doubled, to $65.

Deputy chief administrator Shawn Sheekey says the rates finally cover the cost of doing business:

"Our ultimate goal here is to provide the taxpaying citizens of New Jersey with excellent service."

Driver's licenses and car registrations stay the same price; they're controlled by the legislature.

The new rates take effect on July 6th. They could generate up to $60 million a year for the state.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM

I don't know, $50 for 5 years isn't really that bad for a driver license.

Now paying $36 for my trailer (one year vehicle registration) is outrageous. There is something wrong when a trailer costs as much as a car to register for the year.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here it's $50 every 5 years for just car, just motorcycle, or car and motorcycle (GM) driver's licence renewal.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM

I would expect something like this from the state of Cal-facist
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 PM

I think state based driver's licenses, vehicle registration, titles and inspections should be abolished and replaced with a unified federal version. So every one can get ripped off in exactly the same manner. Seriously I recently moved from PA to VT and the amount of hoops I have to jump through is ridiculous. If it was all one standard all I would have had to do was change my address and get a new drivers license with the new information. Instead 1 new drivers license, 2 new insurance policies, 2 new license plates, 2 new titles, 4 trips to the local cops to have VIN's verified, (the cops screwed up the on my bike and truck the first time) and proof I paid tax on 2 vehicles.

Oh I forgot to mention in PA my little chevy S10 is classified as a truck. Trucks cost more to register because in general they can carry more weight than a car. A large SUV like a suburban is classified as having the body type of a station wagon which gets the car registration fee. How does this make sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Last edited by brothercannon; 06-16-2009 at 10:01 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basby View Post
I don't know, $50 for 5 years isn't really that bad for a driver license.

Now paying $36 for my trailer (one year vehicle registration) is outrageous. There is something wrong when a trailer costs as much as a car to register for the year.
You can register a car for $36? It cost $425 to register ours for 2009. It was $150 to register my ST1300 for 2009. I have 5 other bikes with similar registration fees.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Yesterday I shelled out 120 for my Versys in Douglas County, CO. The included registration and ownership tax (yeah on top of sales tax we get to pay ownership tax). I was not a happy camper until a mile down the road I pass by the construction crew that was starting resurfacing the road I ride to work every single day. At least this time I fell Im getting my moneys worth.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
You can register a car for $36? It cost $425 to register ours for 2009. It was $150 to register my ST1300 for 2009. I have 5 other bikes with similar registration fees.
The registration has always been cheap. $30 base, $6 in fees, and if you own a truck there is an additional weight charge depending on how big the truck is.
A car is about $36, my Tundra is $54. My full size Bronco is not classified as a truck so it's only $36 even though it weighs more than the Tundra.

Up until the late 90's we also had an excise tax added onto the registration. Depending on the value of your vehicle the tax could be anywhere from $50 to $1000. Back then I was driving small trucks like the Ford Ranger and I averaged about $300 to register them for the year. We repealed that tax and the state government has been trying to figure out how to get the fees and taxes back up ever since.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
I think state based driver's licenses, vehicle registration, titles and inspections should be abolished [snip]. ...
Fixed your post for you.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM

How else are we going to pay for the viaduct/tunnel? I just renewed my license last year. Not a bad deal for me. I don't have to renew mine until I retire. One of the perks of being Military.

Ahh, Earth Day, the only day of the year where being able to hacky-sack will get you laid.
-Jon Stewart
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:52 AM

I thought the $.10 increase in the gas tax our governor passed right after she said she wouldn't raise taxes was supposed to pay for the Viaduct.

Down here on the Columbia River, we're fighting the proposal for replacing the I-5 Bridge. $4.5 billion dollars to replace a half mile long bridge and revamp a couple of interchanges on each side of the bridge. Absolutely insane.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM

In Arizona a driver's license cost 16 bucks, and is good for 50 years!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM

but it did cost $109 to register the V for 1 year...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM

In MI, bikes are $23/yr. However, we have a catastrophic accident fund that at this time costs $114/yr. on each vehicle. Trailers have a one-time license fee, $75 for a small trailer, and $150 I think for the bigger ones. Those plates are good forever. I have an antique plate on the Triumph. I found an old 1967 plate and registered it for $35. It's good forever.

It's significant that the liberal lefty Welfare States have higher taxes. After all, who else will pay for all of the entitlement programs? The working class has to subsidize the indolent lazy poor folks and illegal immigrants, don't they??

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
It's significant that the liberal lefty Welfare States have higher taxes. After all, who else will pay for all of the entitlement programs? The working class has to subsidize the indolent lazy poor folks and illegal immigrants, don't they??
Yeap that is part of the issue. Those of us who are willing to pay taxes have to pay for those who are not. A huge percentage of our drivers are unlicensed, uninsured, undocumented. Out of the last 5 people I know that have been involved in accidents, 4 of them were ran into by undocumented, unlicensed, uninsured drivers. Three of those four were in illegally registered vehicles (stolen plates or tags).

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode