Upgrading or not upgrading....this is the question! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Upgrading or not upgrading....this is the question!

Hi there,

After my return from my tour in Europe, I looked at my versys and wondered what could be my next bike after the V....

it seems from google that most of the V owners moved to the Super tenere....bigger engine, more HP, capable off roader, more comfortable, reliable etc...I know it is not the same league but anyway...

I then tried to compare those vertues with what I get from my V especially after my long trip:

1- comfort: I did not feel the V was uncomfortable even in 700km per day trip...
2- engine and HP: well in fact I was feeling blessed with the V with its 659cc! man gas in europe is bloody expensive! from 1.5 to 1.9 euro depending on which country you are...so I was thinking the 659 cc in my V was a good balance between ounhing engine and economical on fuel consumption...
3- weight: the versys is light compared to S10, but if you load it wih a 40kg of tailbag and a givi 450 fully loaded it becomes a bit heavy and hence steady on high speed...so imagine the heavy S10 and you add luggage on it...how easy will it be to move it while off or how the fuel consumption would look like..
4- off road capabilities: I did not ride on gravel or offroad in the past nor that I think I would need it for the medium term...but from what I red versys is capable in gravel while S10 esta every kind of roads..

so at the end I did not really feel the need to go for another bike...except if I am missing something that I don't know!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

I meant 650cc

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 AM

I was thinking about this at the beginning of this year.
With 1.71m and 72kg, I don't think I would use a S10 in off-road.
I used to get some tracks with the V, but it's always a adventure, because a lot of times I have to choose carefully where I’m going to stop, searching for some place I could put my feet safely.
So, I decided not to change the bike, and start do buy some accessories like a Givi shield, hand guards, clutch and brake levers, engine guard and I planning to travel to Ushuaia, Argentina with this bike.
I almost forget it: I bought a Scottoiler expecting that it makes me forget about how boring chain maintenance is.

--
Gustavo Erivan

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I'm 1m87 and 98 kg lool and still worring about heavy bikes...

I also loaded my V will a lot of accessories for off-roading but yet did not use them...and for your trip to Argentina just do it with the V ! I just did 10000km in Europe and loved mine! and when you live in an area where the 95 gas liter costs between 2 and 2.43 USD the cost of fuel in trip matters a lot!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM

I've been agonizing over this same issue for some time. For me it's mostly about the ABS and TCS. I borrowed a S10 and was really impressed with both. The shaft is certainly a benefit. The power is nice, but the low red line would take some getting used to. I don't find the V under powered really, but it does require a lot more shifting and RPMs to get it. The S10 is more of a twist and go affair. The ergos are about the same, IMO. I find the fit and finish of the V to be a little nicer than the S10. And then you have the weight. The plush stock S10 suspension just eats up rough roads and potholed gravel roads, where I find the V more sporty and flickable suspension wise.

All in all, it's a very tough decision, especially since you can buy 2 or more V's for one S10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode