SHORT GUYS / GIRLS - Don't do it! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SHORT GUYS / GIRLS - Don't do it!

I see a lot of folks going with lowering kits. I'm 5' 7-8", 30 inseam. I'm sure they work great but I'm glad I did not chop my 2013 Versys. Yes, I can only flatfoot on one side (little guy tall bike look), and have to shift my weight a bit but this bike is so light, it's not a big deal. If you just got a V, give yourself a few weeks riding it in various situations before you lower it. I'm also glad I did not spend extra on the gel seat. I like the original seat, if I had to go with less cushion I don't think it would be much fun. I was really worried at first but after riding it and getting comfortable with the height, it's not bad at all. Of course if you don't feel safe, do what's needed but as long as I don't wear my leathers or tight pants - the high horse is no problemo and I never have to worry about altering factory performance, resale and that extra expense of the kit / seat. Just saying - give yourself some time to feel it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
On the stock seat, I find it okay for any long trips but since my ninja 1000 is not that great on seat I brought a airhawk and will use it for the versys for long trips but it would be fine without it as well in my opinion.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 AM

Garage
Good for you, I'd rather lower my bike (which I did) than drop it cause I can't reach the ground properly. The other thing is it is easily reversible if I ever sell the bike.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 03:03 AM

Talking

I agree, I'm the same 5' 7" , 30" inseam about 150 lbs. and I couldn't be more fine with 2010 stock height. I came from 6 years on a dirt honda crf450, got my first street ninja 250 two years ago. Got comfy on the street. Sold ninja and got my versys this spring 2013. Love to commute on it and have some local back road twisties that just makes me love versys. Never have had height issues. Also considered lowering kit in the beginning but gave it a chance and got really comfy with stock height. No need to lower mine yet anyway, for me and I consider myself on the shorter side. Here's me last Sunday morning having a blast with my friends on their sports bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.8 KB, 208 views)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 AM

Same here, 5'7" and lovin' the stock Versys. The only thing that I consider changing is the width of the saddle near the reservoir. Helps when you're on the twisties but it is a real pain in the you know what when on a straight line. Because moving my body to the back of the bike makes me bend over the tank, I think that widening the saddle by 10-15 mm on each side would really help.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:00 AM

That's great... Inseam can be a touchy subject for the unfortunately short.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17403
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
I see a lot of folks going with lowering kits. I'm 5' 7-8", 30 inseam. I'm sure they work great but I'm glad I did not chop my 2013 Versys.
Glad it worked for you. I have the same build and rode mine for a month and then installed the lowering block.

The Versys was just too tall for me. I mostly had problems while backing up in my driveway. My legs were too short (30" inseam) to get any traction or leverage to pull the bike back while seated. I was trying to pull it backwards into the garage on my tip toes. I also had the same issue in parking lots.

I do see your point. It is quite ridable at stock height but on those occasions where you come up to a stop at an incline or the bike leans a bit far and you have to catch the tipover because its almost past the point of no return, the added height/weight works against a shorter rider especially since the Versys is a top heavy bike.

At 30" inseam, there is no way I would have enjoyed the Versys as much as I have over the past 3.5 years if I had I not installed the lowering kit.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I reluctantly lowered mine. Then the preload was too soft, so the undertray hit the hugger. Stiffened it up. I'm just 5'5". I'm used to sportbikes with 32" seat height, but the extra inch+ was just a bit too much. First bike I ever had to lower.

I am thinking of trying something else....removing the lowering link, putting the forks back up, then installing the hyperpro lowering springs front an rear. They lower it an inch, which should do it. And the ride will improve, too.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM

You mean raising the triple clamps back up on the forks (forks back down).
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Garage
Remember this short guy ?

Think he got it quite right !!!

LOP
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:10 AM

I'm 6'3, 30" inseam, and I just lowered mine. I've had it for almost 2 years at stock height, and found it awkward to back up a slight incline, or come to a stop on uneven ground (mostly curved/banking freeway offramps). I put a Seat Concepts seat on it a few weeks ago, and the added height made it even worse, since you can't slide forward into the lower part like the stock one. After I lowered it, I found it much easier to take the twisties at lean angles that made you feel like you were going to fall over at stock height. I'm also not scuffing my side bags when I dismount anymore. The rear suspension does feel a bit stiffer, but it's minor. This bike really has no need to be so tall from the factory, since it's really a street bike at heart, and most of us will never take it on anything more rugged than fire roads. Make the bike the most comfortable for you. If you feel awkward or unsure at stock height, lower it, and don't look back.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You mean raising the triple clamps back up on the forks (forks back down).
Yes. I did it correctly, just wrote it incorrectly.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 AM

At 5'8" with a 30" inseam I've been very happy with my stock V... but I do have to pay extra attention to road camber when stopping... just to make sure I put the foot down that's on the high side of the stopping point. I've messed up a couple of times and had those little "WTF??" moments when my boot did not contact pavement exactly when expected. No drops... just immediate panics.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 AM

I guess I take my 36" inseam for granted. I sometimes worry about looking awkward on my V, because I'm so tall. The only time I've ever had to even come close to tip toeing is backing up on an incline. Not bragging, just sharing
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam. I lowered mine the first of this year. Brought the front end back to stock position and like the bike even better. Bought the bike 1/7/2010

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:24 PM

I'm 5'7" with 28" inseam and bought the speedy lowering kit a couple months ago. I haven't made the time to install it yet, but am looking forward to getting the stock height down a tad. No way I can back peddle my V. Gotta get off and shove it around when moving any direction other than ahead.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
I'm 5'7" with 28" inseam and bought the speedy lowering kit a couple months ago. I haven't made the time to install it yet, but am looking forward to getting the stock height down a tad. No way I can back peddle my V. Gotta get off and shove it around when moving any direction other than ahead.
In this case, it's time well spent. Do it this weekend! It only took me maybe 45 minutes to drop both ends. Make sure you get your sidestand shortened/changed while you're at it to prevent parking disasters.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRKVERSYS View Post
FWIW, I never back peddle a bike unless I have gravity working in my favor, in which case 2 tippy toes (or one flat foot) works fine. At worst, my right hand on the front brake controls the bike's momentum. At 5'9", 30" inseam I can stretch and flat foot on flat ground, but having a little bend in my knees and a light touch with both feet on the ground isn't an issue with the weight of the bike.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:51 AM

5' 9", was fine with stock height but came across a cheap low seat so I grabbed it. Like sitting on a board at first, but I quickly got used to it and now I have no problem riding 500 km days. I find it puts me in the bike, rather than on it, which I really like.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 AM

A rider who is low on experience and unable to flat-foot will find many opportunities to drop the bike when stopped, stopping or going slow. So, what works for an experienced rider, may cause lots of frustration for the less-experienced rider.

The Versys is a great bike with many options to adjust it to the skill level, size and preferences of the owner. But, what works for one may not work well for another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode