Yikes! Wheel installed backwards. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yikes! Wheel installed backwards.

Checking on wear on my nearly new front tire> Michelin PR-2, I noticed that I've put the wheel on arse-backwards! I have ridden about 1200 km on it, it handled fine in all kinds of weather including 200 km of rain.

I will reverse it today, hope the tire doesn't cup as a result. Also some concern about discs/brake pads. I can't believe I did such an elementary stupid move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow - good catch. Reminds me of a story I heard some time ago about two Maine carpenters who weren't the brightest bulbs.

They went to a local lumber yard to buy some two by fours but didn't tell the guy behind the counter what length. When ask how long, they said, "Oh, a long time. We're building a garage."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is it really that big a deal? I mean, the wheel is symmetrical, is it not? Sure, there's an arrow, but what's the difference? Maybe I'm the one who is stupid?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Just my guess but I think it has to do with the orientation of the belts.
Many cars I can't afford have directional tires.
Probably makes no difference at the average skill level on the street.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 AM

The wheel is symmetrical but the tire is directional so that when the road's wet it best channels water away from the tire to keep you from hydroplanning. The point of the 'v' should be what contacts the road first. This would not apply to tires with straight ridges but does to the ones with an angled pattern and the arrow on the side to indicate the correct rotation. I think.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The wheel also has directional arrow so it must be important to have both tire and wheel correctly orientated. I knew all that and still missed it! Might have been some beer involved in that garage session, it has been known to happen.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tig View Post
The wheel is symmetrical but the tire is directional so that when the road's wet it best channels water away from the tire to keep you from hydroplanning. The point of the 'v' should be what contacts the road first. This would not apply to tires with straight ridges but does to the ones with an angled pattern and the arrow on the side to indicate the correct rotation. I think.
Actually, the front tire treads are reversed from the rear tire tread direction (the "v" is at the back, that's why I noticed it was installed wrong), but yes, they are designed that way for the sipes to channel water out of the way.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Checking on wear on my nearly new front tire> Michelin PR-2, I noticed that I've put the wheel on arse-backwards! I have ridden about 1200 km on it, it handled fine in all kinds of weather including 200 km of rain.

I will reverse it today, hope the tire doesn't cup as a result. Also some concern about discs/brake pads. I can't believe I did such an elementary stupid move.
I BELIEVE you are right referencing the brakes as the reason to keep it going ONE way. I used a black marker on those little arrows on the wheel so they'd stand out better for these old eyes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
Is it really that big a deal? I mean, the wheel is symmetrical, is it not? Sure, there's an arrow, but what's the difference? Maybe I'm the one who is stupid?
See above POSSIBLE answer....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Anybody who referenced the direction-ality of the tire missed the point- I get that. The WHEELS however, have an arrow indicating the preferred direction of rotation, as several have pointed out. What if you installed the tire "backwards" on the wheel, and then install it rotating against the wheel's arrow, which is what I understood that the OP did?

Can anyone explain how running a brake disc in the opposite direction effects the performance, if it's perfectly symmetrical? I just don't see how it matters. But, I'm willing to be persuaded.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 PM

Anybody who referenced the direction-ality of the tire missed the point- I get that. The WHEELS however, have an arrow indicating the preferred direction of rotation, as several have pointed out. What if you installed the tire "backwards" on the wheel, and then install it rotating against the wheel's arrow, which is what I understood that the OP did? Maybe not-

Can anyone explain how running a brake disc in the opposite direction effects the performance, if it's perfectly symmetrical? I just don't see how it matters. But, I'm willing to be persuaded.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 PM

The wheel and rotors assembly can be reversed without any problem, as long as the tire is rotating in the proper direction... So if the tire is installed backwards on the rim, just install the wheel in reversed rotation.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 AM

Garage
Weird, my wheel and tyre are mounted the right way, but the tyre appears to go the wrong way. The groves appear to channel the water into the middle of the tyre with no-where for it to go.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 09-20-2013 at 01:38 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Weird, my wheel and tyre are mounted the right way, but the tyre appears to go the wrong way. The sipes appear to channel the water into the middle of the tyre with no-where for it to go.
Original stock tires?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 04:38 AM

Brake pads have a wear pattern to the disc they run on. Rotating the wheel will run the disc with the opposite side brake pads. Most of the time is works ok, sometimes you may experience lesser braking efficientcy untill the pads bed themselves in again.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:08 AM

I noticed the other day that the tread pattern on the front looks backward from what you would think would channel water outward. The rear tire is opposite. After looking online, this seems to be the norm. There must be some physics going on here that I can't wrap my head around.

OEM Rear

OEM Front

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 09-20-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 06:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
original stock tires?
pr2

This is the stocker

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Maybe the tread pattern on the front has something to do with braking in the wet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode