Laid it down. :( - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laid it down. :(

Well I finally became part of the statistics.

I was 1 mile from work.
I was traveling < 40mph
I was on a bike I've had less than 6 months.

I was in the rain and turned onto Madison right after a huge straight-line windstorm ( and two tornados) had blown through. I was trying to avoid the jam-up on I-240 so my brain - in it's infinite wisdom - thought it would be safer to go through tons of intersections in the rain instead of just make a straight shot down the interstate. Well Madison has trolley tracks. I was doing good to stay right of them as the right lane doesn't have the tracks and it leaves me with only perpendicular crossings which are relatively safe, even in wet weather. Unfortunately near Autozone Park there's a parking garage that shoots cars out like projectiles into the right lane and I got "persuaded" by several cars to move over. This put me directly in between the trolley tracks. Needless to say I had one goal in mind: Get OUT of the tracks!!!! I waited for the tracks to veer off to the right up the viaduct and tried to cross them as perpendicular as humanly possible but apparently I had a tad bit of lean when the front tire hit and the bike went out from under me. I was going about 20mph or less. I slid about 20 feet on my arse. Good thing I had decent riding pants on because even though the pavement was wet it still ate through my gear and my slacks underneath.

The bike was not damaged too bad. The bars got replaced this morning with some nice ProTaper bars. The left cowling needs repainted and the Primary cover is scraped pretty good. Oh and I tore the heck out of one of my expensive Cargo panniers. Oh well, parts can be replaced.

For somebody that likes to ride in the rain and has done it safely for several years now, I honestly don't know what the hell I was thinking going down Madison with the tracks. I mean there's a class action lawsuit against the city over the wretched tracks because they're not motorcycle-friendly and cyclists are going down two or three a month (so I've been told). Even more I don't know what the hell made me think it would be safer at wet intersections than on a wet interstate.

I'll be back on the V tomorrow and I've got some good pics of the process for changing the handlebars if there isn't a good post for it already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Glad to hear that you are ok parts as you mentioned can be replaced.

Chris
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 06:07 AM

Hi Cetzel,

Glad to hear you are okay. Any accident you can walk away from is God Bless.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 AM

Sorry to hear man, and glad to hear you are ok.. the most important factor. I went down on my V about 3 weeks ago, and like you, I was ok but the bike suffered some cosmetic damage.

I found that some quick surgery and some new paint turned my frown into a smile in no time . I feel like I'm riding a new bike now, AND have learned from the experience of dropping the bike! Win-Win in my book

Ride on
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks! Its good to be able to walk away from stupidity and learn from it.

I got back on the bike today but just for a trip around the neighborhood to make sure the new bars were solid.

Between, did you shoot the paint yourself or have someone do it ? Also, did you damage your Primary cover ? Did any of this void your warranty ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode