Versys VS 2004 BMWR1150R - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
ski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys VS 2004 BMWR1150R

Hello,
I am looking at purchasing either a new Versys or a used 2004 BMR R1150R with 2K miles on it.

I have ridden this BMW but unfortunately cannot test ride the Versys. This would be my second bike but havn't really ridden in three years.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 PM

I've ridden both and would say that they are two completely different rides.

With the Versys you will notice quite a weight difference (less and skinnier) as well as a difference in motor feel.

The BMW is a great long distance motorcycle with a large aftermarket. The thing that would turn me away from it would be the bulk and the fact that I just don't really like the Boxer motor. I feel like I'm on a sewing machine when I ride one. I also am not a fan of the electronic assist brakes (I don't like giving a computer that much control over whether I'm going to stop or not).

Then there is the issue of costs and maintenance. BMW stands for Break My Wallet, and the parts and service prove it (I just came off of a BMW F650GS).

The Versys felt the best to me and none of my previous Kawasaki's have ever let me down. I also know parts and service will be nowhere near the costs of a BMW.

Hopefully you can make some sense of all that. Good luck on your choice.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM

Cool

Had a R 1150 GS Adventure for 5 years and 70K miles and have had my Versys for only 200 miles.
I really liked my GS but it was just too massive for me to handle when loaded up with gear, and it stood about 3 inches taller than my Versys.

It was an ABS model and had absolutly the best brakes I've ever had on a bike. Had Beemers for 25 years and I loved the motor too.
However- I personally know 5 people who have had final drive failures on their Oilhead Beemers. Its almost epidemic. If out of warranty that is a $1500. to 2000 dollar repair at a shop.

Also I travel to BMW rallies around the country in the summer and the BMW M/C dealer network is less than 150 dealers in the whole country these days and is shrinking.
Out west you can be 3 to 4 hundred miles from the nearest dealer. Theres a Kawasaki dealer in about any medium sized town if you need one.

If you haven't ridden in 3 years I think you would find the Versys a lot easier to use to build your skills back too.

I loved my Beemers since 1983 but these days I can't justify the added cost with the declining dependability.

Had about a 3 hour ride through canyons west of Denver last weekend and I think the Versys is one of the best handling, fun bikes I've ever had. Can't wait to get some more miles on it so I can open it up more!

Last edited by Versysbob; 03-06-2008 at 01:02 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Beemer or Versys ?

I have a BMW R1100RS and just love it.... 70K... but I am looking to downsize a bit.. I am getting older and will always keep my BMW but I think I will buy a Versys this spring. I like the smaller size for daily use and I would like to get back to the fun riding I did on smaller bikes back in the day.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
I have a BMW R1100RS and just love it.... 70K... but I am looking to downsize a bit.. I am getting older and will always keep my BMW but I think I will buy a Versys this spring. I like the smaller size for daily use and I would like to get back to the fun riding I did on smaller bikes back in the day.
I know exactly how you feel. Motorcycles just seemed to keep getting bigger and bigger. It lost a lot in my mind and after 14 years, I almost gave it up. I got into Supermoto and felt like I had found the joy of motorcycling all over again. Getting back to smaller lightweight bikes, I feel like I did back when I started.

The Versys gives me that feeling again. I can't believe you can get a bike this good, this cheap either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode