Am i being offered a good price on my new Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Am i being offered a good price on my new Versys?

6568 Out the door.............................Good deal or a poke in the ole arse with no lube? Ive never bout a bike before so its hard to tell when you have a good deal or not. Cars are way easier to shop for.

Its brand new. Killer green color.

The gear i picked out came to like 786, they said they would give me 20% off of the gear. Which is only 150 bucks. Im not thinking that was a great discount. I know how mark up works, and its usually 100 to 150% over what the dealer pays for stuff. So i told them to make me a better offer and left.

I know nothing about buying a bike, this will be my first one, if i end up buying it. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 AM

I think your getting a good deal, Have there been better? yeah. But you beat me,lol
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Same for the gear though? I dunno, that part is where i think they could have done better.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 AM

What, exactly, is the gear in question?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Cut some slack since I'm a newb. But it was for a jacket and pants, both have removable liners, 220 a piece, synthetic material, all the Armour inside needed. A helmet, HJC is the make, its 150, a random pair of gloves that were like 50 bucks and a paid or water proof boots with a couple of those big plastic bubble looking things on the side for ankle protection. Those are like 120 i believe. I'm sure my price memory is slightly off but it came to a grand total of 786 before they gave me the 20% off.

Jacket
pants
gloves
boots
helmet
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Sounds like an OK deal. Not bad on the bike. Prolly could of gotten the other stuff cheaper on line, but if you want to suit up and drive away, then you did good. Congrats and have fun on the green one!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Cut some slack since I'm a newb.
?? Not sure what that has to do with asking about the gear, but anyway . . .

I'd say the price on the Versys is pretty good. There are plenty of other places to get gear. A trip down to Columbus gets you to the Iron Pony, which is a brick & mortar superstore with a huge clearance section and about a gajillion helmets to try on. It also has an online store. We both got good jackets for under $100. My boots were $35. It's a little like going in to Walmart, though. Go in for 3 items and come out with 12.

You can also try searching online for the same or similar gear. NewEnough.com is a favorite of many, but there are others. See how the dealer's price compares to what you could order.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 AM

The deal on the Versys sounds great, I paid more before ttl for my 2008.

Without knowing all the brands, it's hard to guess at the gear, but it sure sounds like a fair deal.

If you had a few extra bucks for gear, Scorpion makes a nice helmet with an internal visor. If you can afford a few extra bucks there, that's a great feature.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

MZ, I only made the newb comment because i couldnt remember the frigging brand of anything but the helmet! Thats all, nothing implied with the comment other than i should have paid more attention. I just may have to take the hour and a half drive to c-bus. Thanks!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM

The deal on the bike is good. If it works with your finances, buy it and start riding. When your cruising your favorite country road you'll think it was the greatest deal on earth!

You can go to any number of online sites to check pricing on the gear. The deal sounds pretty good to me and I've bought gear online and local, and 20% off my local dealer retail price is usually real close to web pricing.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Sounds like a good deal. I paid $6200+shipping and prep (~$200) about a month ago. I think the local economy plays a big role in how much they will come down. We are the center of state govt, so the workforce is pretty steady around here. It kind of limits the boom/bust cycle.

Then there is sales tax and dmv but that varies by state (NY sales tax is over 8%).

I also bought a bunch of gear with the same 20% off. I got a black $200 jacket. Now I wish it was hi-vis yellow. Oh well, it does look kool for an old 40 something guy with white hair!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Typical retail markup is 40%. Not sure if that applies to Bike gear or not, but a lot of other industries it holds true. Now keep in mind that your sales guy is getting a taste and with rent, interest and all giving away half of the profit is a reasonably good deal.

Look for the gear online and see what you can get it for. Some things are well discounted, others not so much.

Bike price sounds good if it OTD including taxes and reg fees.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys everyone. Not knowing anything about what a good deal is or not with motorcycles made me apprehensive about this deal. I feel better about it now, ill probably go in on Monday so ill have my insurance set up as well.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM

20% off the price of gear seems pretty common. Most dealers make their money off of parts, accessories, service and clothing. They don't like to erode their profit margins on these items so, unless they're clearing out stale stock, don't expect a big discount. I like my dealer and appreciate that he has to make money off of me somewhere. He gave me a good deal on the bike so I like to give him my discretionary business if he has what I want and his pricing is reasonable.

I bought a helmet on-line but the rest of my clothing I bought from a shop. I don't believe in trying stuff on at the dealer and then shopping for it on-line. I'm in business myself and know what it's like to be milked for advice and then lose the business to somebody who hasn't worked for it. My dealer needs to make a buck and it costs him money to keep his building open, maintain inventory and employ the cute little sales girl in the clothing department. If I want my dealer to stay in business I have to give him business. That said, there are some dealers around here that are big on attitude but don't give a rat's a$$ about customer service or product knowledge. I don't care how good their price is, I'm not going to give them business unless they deserve it.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Where's this deal, State 8? I bought mine from there back in April for $7000 otd with a $250 helmet. I did see a blue one there recently for $5999, but not sure if that was brand new.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Murphy's law states. Doesn't mater how hard you shop around it's always cheaper somewhere else. I found a good spot for gear online motogearoutlet.com. They just happen to be less than an hour ride from home. If your not in a hurry you can get heavily discounted gear online.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, thats state 8. And it is brand new. Im not getting blue, im going with ugly vomit green, i want to make sure i do all i can to be noticed by any other vehicles. Where you live zeke?
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM

I'm in Aurora, and I have a green one too. While that color would never be mistaken for a Ducati or BMW, I think it's the best one offered in the US to-date.

I've lived in countries where haggling is the rule and not the exception, and unless this is the deal they gave you as you're walking out the door, they could probably go lower. That $5999 blue one makes me think they could go lower, though perhaps green is selling better than blue (mine, for example). Good luck in your negotiations! If you speak John the sales manager, he's a jerk.

On a side note, after you buy it let me know if you're up for a run through Cuyahoga Nat'l Park. I haven't seen another Versys out there yet. I'm also pretty newb, and so are the people I ride with so no worries there.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Sounds great Zeke. I actually live in the park. Right by Todaros party center. A new apt complex is almost across the street. I haven't met John. I am dealing with Dean, good kid. Also Rob, the new rider instructor has really helped me out, i like him alot. I was going to go with a used sport bike till he suggested the Versys, I'm glad he did, i bet its the most comfortable bike i have sat on.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM

I would imagine $5999 is about dealer cost on the bike. I doubt there is a 100-150% markup on gear. Based on owning my own business for a few years, I would imagine more like 30% off of retail. Sound like a good deal to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode