Can anyone lend me their ears? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone lend me their ears?

Really not sure where this thread belongs but this will be close enough.

Sooo....I just installed a set of aux lights and now I can hear an electronic whine. Its a rather high pitch whine that can not be heard from a couple of feet away (if you are REALLY trying to listen for it it is possible). When i put my ear to the gas tank it is very present. Since the gas tank acts as a large amplifier for the sound i figure it must be coming from an area under the tank.

I did disconnect the aux. circuit from the battery and still have the whine. Not sure about you, but after i install something my senses are a lot higher checking to make sure its all good. So maybe this sound has been here the whole time, but after the install i was looking for something?

Clueless here. If anyone can listen to their tank (at idle) to make sure i'm not losing my mind i would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:25 AM

Sounds to me like you're hearing your fuel pump perhaps? Try filling the gas tank and see if the sound diminishes/goes away entirely.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 AM

Are you hearing this with the aux lights on? It could be the altinator whine your hearing??

Regards,

Dave

2009 Versys (Metallic Moon dust Gray) Speedy lowering pegs, Speedy Kick stand pad, Speedy Mirror extensions, Vario Windshield, Oxford heated grips and SW-Motech Engine Guards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 KLR (Red) - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Just very odd that I have don't recall having every heard this prior to the aux install. I tested the bike with the aux. lights disconnected from the battery to eliminate that variable. Annoyingly, the problem still exists with them disconnected. Would still like to know if anyone else experiences this sound. I got a trip coming up next weekend and would really like to feel confident in the bike.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2 View Post
Just very odd that I have don't recall having every heard this prior to the aux install. I tested the bike with the aux. lights disconnected from the battery to eliminate that variable. Annoyingly, the problem still exists with them disconnected. Would still like to know if anyone else experiences this sound. I got a trip coming up next weekend and would really like to feel confident in the bike.
I have been riding my Versys for over a year now, and I have heard this high pitch whine occasionally, typically when I am stopped at a red light. I have seen on the forum somewhere that a lot of other people have heard this too. I believe it to be this bike way of harmlessly operating, probably the fuel pump, or some combination of the computer controlled fuel injection/electronics/sensors/valves/feedback loops/etc.

Don't worry, just ride it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Check all your grounds (on battery, alternator, new lights, etc). I think an electrical whine sound is due to a loose/poor ground wire and what you're hearing is the alternator . Also recheck all power wires.

Last edited by Xo0oM; 06-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 AM

Agree...

My 08 has a "high-pitch whine" which I think sounds like a jet engine or something. I kind of like it actually.

I'm guessing it's something from the crazy electronics these new-fangled bikes have nowadaze. The bike stilll runs like a top though so I say keep ridin'.

Kawasaki's parallel twins do seem to be noisy. I can get a cam chain whir, and what sounds like an alternator squeal/whine (mechanical not electronic) from the left side that's rev dependant.

Also, after I installed the foot pad on the side stand, I noticed that rattles at certain rpms...sounds like a mini ducati clutch or something. Took me almost two weeks to figure that one out!

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM

if you can hear your alternator, it's probably toast! rarely, a filament will vibrate (on AC, not a bike's DC) and make a slight noise, but you shouldn't be able to hear that above a running engine, and the lamp would burn out quickly, too, so it shouldn't be that. you must be hearing something else. tinnitus!?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So you are hearing this with the engine running? The fuel pump at the bottom of fuel tank can be heard, which is normal. It also whines for a couple seconds when you turn ignition on before starting engine.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

its not the usual sounds when the ignition is turned on. It's once the motor is started there is a whistle/whine that is rather high pitch low volume sound. It eminates from under the gas tank. It can barely be heard standing next to the bike but when i put my ear on the tank the sound is very clear. I just can't recall this sound before.

I tested the bike without the aux wiring/circuit installed and the sound is still there. So it seems as if somehow the aux wiring had some effect or the sound has always been there but never heard.

oh yeah, the bike actually stalled for the first time (right after start up) the same day as my little electrical whine

"tinnitus"
I actually considered this just to help explain it!

Last edited by mvg2; 06-12-2009 at 11:48 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:59 AM

When ignition is 1st turned on, there's the fuel pump whine for a couple seconds, but there's also the whiring of the seconday throttle/fast idle cam servo cycling...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

ahh...what? I have no idea what sounds makes what but i am familiar with the sounds of the fuel injection start up procedure. My annoying sound is not part of the start up procedure but rather after it has been started. It is a sound that none of my other fuel injected bikes has made.

I would really like to eliminate it but if its harmless i might as well continue to ride the wheels off the thing. Oh wait! Or add to the versys expenditure and pick up a nice little arrow slip on! Still like to figure it out though...

Anyhow thanks for the suggestions. It is next to impossible to explain it so that you understand exactly what it sounds like and where it comes from. If anyone has anything else, let me know.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Just ride up here and I'll listen to it... You can try holding a length of tube or hose to your ear, with the other end pointing or touching suspected sources to amplify and isolate the said noise as with a stethoscope.

Last edited by invader; 06-12-2009 at 07:42 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

sure you don't want to come down for a listen. Even have a 2-4 of molsen for ya, eh?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Don't these things have radiator fans? Temps are getting warmer... might be spinning faster.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Spinning faster?

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestion lonerockz but this sound happens instantly without the temps getting hot enough to engage the fan. (spins at one speed)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 PM

If you do a spell search titled "sound" on the V service manual file:

1. Fuel pump sound under Fuel system (DFI) 3-89
2. Subthrottle Valve Actuator under Fuel system (DFI) 3-71

It sounds pretty normal. As long you have no riding performance issues, Ride on, Bud.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Last edited by stlee29; 06-12-2009 at 08:10 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2 View Post
When i put my ear to the gas tank it is very present. Since the gas tank acts as a large amplifier for the sound i figure it must be coming from an area under the tank.
Sounds like it is the fuel pump which is in the bottom of fuel tank, but is probably normal. Did you change to a larger windscreen, which would make it more audible? That imported Molson does sound tempting...
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
Spinning faster?

CC
Not sure on the V, but many bikes have variable speed fans. Bike gets hotter and the fan goes faster. Some have two speeds, some have variable speeds.

I remember riding with my buddy that had a Honda Hawk and at stop lights that thing sounded like a hair dryer on hot days!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode