there goes my mountain rides - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
there goes my mountain rides

If you haven't been reading about Colorado weather lately, we're in the middle of a 100/500/1000 year flood event along the front range. Parts of the front range (Boulder,Estes Park, aurora, and others) have received up to 15 inches of rain in the last five days (or just about the normal annual amount). Lots of mountain communities are 100% cut off, with miles and miles of roads washed out and lots of bridges washed away. Rain and flash floods from the mountains have filled the major rivers (st vrain, south platte and others), causing even more flooding and damage along their banks out on the plains. There's more rain in the forecast for the next day or two, so we aren't out of the woods yet.

Thankfully, fatalities have been low (compared to the Big Thompson flood in 1976 that killed over 150 people).

Oh, and my thread title? Most of the fun roads up to the mountains are going to be closed for a while until this gets cleaned up. In my neighborhood (most of western Denver and southern Denver), we had a lot of rain, but no flooding (yet).

Lots of pics on www.photos.denverpost.com, www.thedenverchannel.com and others.

'09 Versys

Last edited by Jmason; 09-14-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM

The damage here in Aurora hasn't been too bad compared to other places, but I agree, most of the fun mountain roads are pretty badly damaged, with whole stretches washed out. Riding the curvies here could be over until next spring at the earliest.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More info on the extent of devastation so far

http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/d...tguid=E378hp7n

Officials say nearly 19K homes damaged, destroyed 09/15/2013 4:23 PM

DENVER—Colorado emergency management officials have released an initial estimate that says the ongoing flooding has damaged or destroyed nearly 19,000 homes.

The Colorado Office of Emergency Management estimated Sunday on its website that 17,494 homes have been damaged and 1,502 destroyed.

In addition, 11,700 people have been evacuated and a total of 1,253 people are unaccounted for.

County officials have said that number fluctuates as stranded residents re-establish communication with family, friends or authorities.

Office of Emergency Management spokeswoman Micki Trost says the numbers were reported by affected counties and compiled by the state agency.

The flooding is spread across parts of 15 counties.

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode