Heat Issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heat Issue

Dear friends:

I just change a Yamaha Fazer 600 for a Versys 08. The reason behind this change is that Im biking for almost 3 yrs and I just used bike in the city (Caracas-Venezuela - high transit) and the fazer was more a bike for trips and the 4 cylinders got too much heat on a traffic jam...well now with the verys which is a lighter bike and very easy to use....its also producing a lot of heat, but especially from the left side even when Im running at high speed....it's this normal?

Regards and thks.

Carlos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM

That seems odd. Mine is a cool as a cucumber and about the coolest running bike I've ever owned. I'll try to pay attention to the heat next time I ride.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM

I seem to notice more from the right side. It heats up when it's 90F+ outside like any bike from 1-4 cylinders I have ever owned.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Yes there is a tremendous amount of radiator blast that hits on the inside of your right thigh at 65+ mph. If you are wearing mesh gear you can cook your leg. The smog canister on the left prevents it from hitting your left leg on Ca models.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM

I'm with starluckrc, there is more heat from the left side of my engine than the right. But nowhere near enough to "cook" my leg, mesh riding overpants (which I now wear regularly) or not. It's been in the 90's here in South Texas pretty regularly for the last week or two, and I've not had any concerns about my engine. It is a bit wierd to hear the gurgling as the coolant drains out of the overflow resevoir back into the radiator!

Monte

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Hola, Bueno Dia Cmayorca,

The heat from the engine is pretty normal. Regular checks on the engine oil level and water coolant would be a good practise. You got it right riding your Versys FAS...T.

Gracias and to the V Forum.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 AM

I've noticed a little more heat from the right side now that summer has hit in Texas, but it is tolerable. Especially after comming off an ST1300. Now that's a BBQ pit.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 AM

I have found that if I move my foot a couple of inches out on the footpegs, I can let the warm air from the radiator slip by, between my shin and the bike. Cross winds will affect which side of the bike the warm air passes.

It has not really warmed up here in Wisconsin yet, so I am doing the opposite - I'm keeping my legs as far inboard as possible. My electrically heated gear & hand grips help too.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 AM

I have an 08 Versys and I never get heat coming off the left side. Once in a while, usually in slower traffic, I'll feel warmth (not hot) on the right side. It's usually on my lower leg or foot.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 AM

It was one of the things that felt strange the first couple of times on the V. My right leg does get hot, especially in traffic, and the ventilation fan does work overtime. Then again, Greece is a hot country.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Everyone with a newer V (less than 2000 miles) realize that the bike will run a little hotter until broke in good. I noticed after 2000 that things cooled off some. Its in the upper 90's now and bike is cooler now than compared to last year when the bike was new in July. BTW I'm at 7000 miles. Stay Cool V riders
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
I do not pay attention to any heat the only time I do is when I am finishing in the corners from some higher revs.

Last edited by versysred; 06-15-2009 at 09:36 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 AM

I get a bit of heat from the rightside, but nothing much. Its probably the coolest bike I've had in both senses of the word.

Having the exhaust and pipes go under the bike is brilliant.

I run the bike for 3 months of the year in the desert at temps that can be over 100 and its not an issue. I do have highway pegs that take your legs completely away from the fan heat, but don't use them much.

Machog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode