Is that a BMW? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is that a BMW?

Guy at parts in my local autostore asked. No, It's a Kawasaki. Thought about saying, why no, it's a Ducati. (and mine is not "de-badged")

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 AM

Leaving a campsite this past Tues morn (6/9/09) a guy painting the office asked if my green V was a BMW. I explained its a Kawi Versys and had to smile to myself as I left the campground, first time it's happend.

Edit: mine has the badges still too

here's a photo from one of my stops. Only Del Taco I know of so I had to stop, awesome cheese fries.

Last edited by slowfaller; 06-11-2009 at 12:17 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:08 AM

I've been told "Nice Ducati" three times now.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM

I was talking to a guy on a BMW once and he said "I have no idea what kind of bike that is". Mine is debadged though. I don't usually debadge things, but I thougt the stock stickers were cheesey.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 PM

Someone asked me if my V was a Buell the other day (I have no stickers on it). I laughed and told him what it was.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
Someone asked me if my V was a Buell the other day (I have no stickers on it). I laughed and told him what it was.
I had somebody ask me if it was a Buell a couple weekends ago. Apparently in the South if you don't ride a Harley they think you're riding a Buell. Its how the Southern brain rationalizes the unthinkable: That somebody would ride something other than a Harley.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Msf

What a awsome day. Today I had to renew my MSF riding course (experienced) so that I could ride on Base. The first 15 minutes was used up by arguing/ discussing what my bike is....Man it was great...LOL. I heard everything from cruiser to space ship. After it was all settled we proceded with the class. 3 Years ago when I took the basic MSF course I was on a cruiser. While it was informative and fun it was also kinda stressful manuvering a cruiser around the course. Not the same today. I was tearing it up.<grin> I was constantly called a cheater,showoff, and other names. The grin factor was a 10+ . Man I love this bike... the HD riders were more concerned about thier bikes overheating than they were passing the class...too funny.It was a really informative class. Since my bike is still fairly new with less than 600 miles on it I really never tested the bike on turns ,curves and braking like I did today. Man this V is awsome! I could go on and on about how well the V handled with very little effort. Its amazing.I think Ijust might keep this one....LOL
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Spidermans bike

Pulled into a gas n gulp the other day and while sipping some coffee next to the bike a guy walks up and asks, "What the Hell is that"! I fought the urge to tell him Ducati or Buell and told him the truth, mine is debadged except for the side bags and seat. Said he'd never seen anything like it before and that it was a great looking bike. He then said it looks like a bike that Spiderman would be on. I nearly choked on my coffee... My secret identity revealed.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0916.JPG (730.8 KB, 114 views)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

What I like most about the bike is that I get waved at by almost every kind of rider. HD guys assume it's a Buell and wave back, BMW guys will sometimes even wave back. I always smile inwardly and think "fooled ya!"

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 PM

I pulled into the pumps the other day and a dude asked me if it was new harley and I had too laugh and say, do you see any oil leaks? he said "no" and I said it's a Kawasaki.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 AM

I get "nice Ducati" all the time. I just smile and say thanks and go on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duc.jpg (778.9 KB, 79 views)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

I was asked if my bike was a Buell by a truck driver today. He had a perplexed look on his face when I said no. I let him sit there & tilt his head back & forth like a puppy for a minute, then told him it was a Kawasaki. He said "Ah..." but I don't think that cleared anything up for him.

Later, when I stopped for a quick drink & pee, an older guy said, "I thought people around here only rode Harley's. Nice whatever that is..."

I smiled & waved as I rode off...

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Yesterday I took the ERC, and one of the instructors, as he was standing next to Versys to check my paperwork, asked me how I liked my BMW! I thought back to this thread and that made my grin even bigger.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
I think without the badges the bike looks hokey I think they look good. I took mine to a BMW rally and I did get plenty of compliments. But still it is not a bmw.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picjet View Post
I pulled into the pumps the other day and a dude asked me if it was new harley and I had too laugh and say, do you see any oil leaks? he said "no" and I said it's a Kawasaki.

I love it!! I have a couple of buddies at work that ride Harleys and I'm constantly ribbing them about Harley"oil leaks". I even got a oil drip pan and put it under one guy's Harley along with an empty oil can!! This was payback for him talking about my "toy bike".

I had one guy who is a mechanic ask about my Versys. When I told him what it was, he paid me a great compliment. He said it was a "smart man's BMW". Price and parts are cheaper!!

2008 Passion Red Versys
2 Aug 2008
SOLD
2011 KLR650 Burnt Orange
27 Apr 2012

SOLD
2015 Blue Triumph Tiger 800XCX
29 Jul 2015
2002 Suzuki DR-Z400S
14 Oct 2017
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
I've been told "Nice Ducati" three times now.
That's only because Kawasaki stole the design idea from Ducati's Multistroodle.

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. V + used track weapon or just a single bike i.e. Multistroodle. Both in my budget and have pluses and minuses.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM

I don't think italians do "stroodle". "Canoli" maybe.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM

I got the ducati line once...

The best i got was...." I aint never seen a motorcyle like that before..."

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Yeah, i've gotten BMW, Ducati, and Buell...
only one experience where someone knew exactly what it was.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
But still it is not a bmw
Um, right. That's why it's funny. And if it isn't debadged, "KAWASAKI Versys" is in pretty large print on a pretty large cowling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode