Versys comparison to 1990 Hawk GT - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys comparison to 1990 Hawk GT

Remember the Honda Hawk 650 GT back in the late 80's? 41mm forks (huge for a 650 back then) single sided swingarm and ginormous aluminum
boxed frame. Was a sales dud next to sportbikes back then, but for some a deal. Good luck finding one now, most ended up at racetracks.
Enter the Versys with inverted forks, fuel injection, stainless exhaust and
digital dash. There was 3 leftovers on the showroom (2011) when I bought mine, ended up paying around 7000 out the door after everything. Guess they
aren't selling like the cruisers and sportbikes. Never selling mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 09:24 PM

I've noticed quite a few leftover models of ALL types and makes of bikes. I think it has more to do with the economy than anything else.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 AM

I think the difference in the hawk, Suzuki 400 bandit ,fzr400, rz350, Honda ascot etc etc .Is they only had a couple year run in the US. The versys has been for sale since 2008 in the states.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 PM
djg

That's where cult bikes come from. A great design unappreciated by the ignorant masses, lol. I still have only seen one other Versys in my area, the twin cities.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

That's what i was trying to convey..

Honda I think even had to pay Elf a fee to use that swingarm-there was a sticker on it that said something about "Elf copyright." The Versys has a lot of features in a 650cc bike usually only seen in larger bikes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I think the difference in the hawk, Suzuki 400 bandit ,fzr400, rz350, Honda ascot etc etc .Is they only had a couple year run in the US. The versys has been for sale since 2008 in the states.
Previous bikes have included a hawk, the Ascots (both a VT and a FT), and even a Yamaha Vision (remember those? 550cc water-cooled V-Twin, shaft drive, monoshock...) and presently a Versys.... I'm thinking that says something about me, though I am not exactly sure what...?

The difference between those bikes and the Versys is, I think, two things. As mentioned, all those "other" bikes had, at the longest, a 2 year production run in the states, the V is going on it's 6th year in the states and I believe its 7th or 8th worldwide...that's a pretty long run. And secondly, all those "other" bikes were kind of in the "odd-ball segment" of the market at their times, whereas the Versys is in, arguably, the hottest segment of the current market (say, "adventure themed" bikes), with EVERY big manufacturer having a bike to "fit that bill." The Versys "styling" is, evidently, very popular currently.
I think the (now discontinued in the states?) Kawasaki ER6n more represented a "modern Hawk" in many ways...

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 AM
djg

I still have a Yamaha TDM850, popular in the rest of the world, here for two years. I had a Honda FT500, still going strong for the kid I sold it to. And I do remember the Vision. Why they made that shaft drive I will never understand.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 AM

Saw the title and thought somebody was really going to try to compare the two. About the only comparison is they both have two wheels and internal combustion engines. Sorry to say, but I predict the Versys will never reach cult appreciation.

FACT: The ONLY thing the Versys has over the Hawk GT is more stock horse power. FACT: The ONLY thing an SV650 or Ninja650 has over a Hawk GT is more stock horse power. FACT: The Hawk GT created in 1988 still has a better stock chassis than an SV or Ninja. (SV and Ninja come with the same fork and shock technology 20yrs after the Hawk GT.)

I raced the EX650R and wished it carved a corner like my Hawk GT.

I get to make these comparisons on the street and the track every year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1871.jpg (77.7 KB, 93 views)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM

I like these oddball bikes too, had a Funduro, TDM, and a Hawk. It's nice to now have an oddball bike that's still in production- parts, farkles, awesome forum!
The Hawk made me buy a Versys. I bought it for my son to learn on, and in the year it lived in my garage I rolled it out more than any of the other bikes. Shorter trips, but more often. After it moved away I decided that my next bike would be light and nimble. I bought the Versys and 2 years later all the other bikes were gone. As fun to ride as the Hawk, as adventure capable as the TDM, and as practical as the the Bandit.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Oh man. I had a HawkGT.

I looooooved riding that bike.

I haaaaaaated working on it. It's designed to be serviced by tiny people with tiny hands.

Put on a CBR 900 shock and a RaceTech front on it, and you have one of the slickest road scalpels ever devised.

Now that I have a Tiger, I'd buy another Hawk in a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode