Question about wind noise on Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question about wind noise on Versys

Hi, gang. First post here. Wife has blessed purchase of new Versys. I have had many bikes over the years; still have my KTM dirt bike. I am set on this model but I do have one concern. I had an 07 KLR650 that I kept for just a few months. It was a torquey, heavy machine, and I knew that going in, but the wind buffetting and noise inside my helmet was unbearable. I had heard that different windscreens made little difference. I couldn't even hear the engine once I reached 45 mph. If the Versys is like this, or even close to this, I may have to consider something else. I'd appreciate any feedback on the noise with the stock windscreen (I know there are a few others available aftermarket). How effective is it? Thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM

i don't notice wind noise much at all. the stock wind screen seems to be pretty quiet. i had a sabre 1110 with a shield and it was noisy ( wind buffet) as heck!! i put a taller shield on when its below 40 here.

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Try ear plugs. Cheaper than a windshield and more effective. Protect your hearing...it's not repairable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Earplugs all the way. The Versys is the noisiest out of the 5 bikes I have owned.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Options you could try:

1. Change your windscreen to a bigger one (many choices here in the forum
but some investment required)
2. Wearing ear plugs
3. Stuff more sponge cushioning into the helmet round the ear area
4. Subsitute ear plugs with music ear phones

I using no.4. . Just loud enough to know if someone's honking at me.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 PM

I have been riding now for 50 years, and I have (the lack of) hearing to show for it. For the last 15 years or so I learned to either buy a bike that had a proper shield (or after market alternative) that was quiet or to wear ear plugs. Personally, I hate wearing ear plugs, I find them uncomfortable and time consuming to put in even if I am careful enough to get them correctly inserted. I have gone so far as to make my own custom fiberglass fairing and shield to solve this problem. I love my Versys and one thing that I really like is the wide range of after market windscreens available for it. I had a Mike’s touring shield at first and liked it until it began cracking at the top where the lip is. (I suspect too much pressure and not enough heat when it was made) Next, I was able to buy a Cee Bailey’s 19 inch windscreen used for half price. I have it mounted in the top most position and am not bothered by wind noise or buffeting at all unless I really stretch upward. I am 5’8” by the way. I am sure that I could wear a baseball cap and not have it blow off. I have the stock exhaust and can hear the engine noise at any speed. I plan on buying the Cee Bailey’s 21” screen next and try mounting it in the middle position. That should even allow me to stretch all I want to and also close the bottom gap a little more to help in the winter.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 PM

If you take off the windscreen, there will be zero buffeting and the wind noise will be a result of your helmet.

You'll be hanging on for dear life, but it will be smooth and quiet.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Earplugs. Cheap and effective.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

If you wear a helmet, wear earplugs. Period.

I have helmet speakers for sound and I wear earplugs all the time. Yes there is wind noise, its a relatively naked bike. I have a Cee Bailey windscreen, I could not imagine riding without earplugs.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacktracker View Post
If you take off the windscreen, there will be zero buffeting and the wind noise will be a result of your helmet.

You'll be hanging on for dear life, but it will be smooth and quiet.
The helmet that is worn can make a huge difference in wind noise. My Scorpion is really noisy. I haven't decided on the replacement yet, but I'm leaning towards the Arai. Until I swapped out for a ride, I didn't realize how bad the Scorpion was.
I'm 6'5" and it's not possible for me to tuck in behind the stock screen on the Vee. I find that sitting straight up, out of the turbulence, works best for reducing the noise.
My buddy has a WeeStrom - riding it is like sitting in an enclosed cockpit, with very little wind noise or turbulence. The difference in the two bikes is amazing. Not sure, but it seems to me that the instrument panel and everything else on the Wee is higher and wider than on the Vee. I'm thinking about getting the setup that lets me put the Wee windscreen on the Vee.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

I loved my KLR but it really sucked on the highway. You're still going to experience turbulence and wind noise on a Versys but at much higher speed.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:18 AM

Simply put, you bought a sporty bike. Sporty bikes have minimal wind protection. That's the way it is. If you didn't want some buffeting and wind noise, you should have gotten something with a touring fairing and windshield.

That said, helmet choice makes a BIG difference. I wear a Simpson Bandit, which was originally a racecar helmet. It has a small eyeport but has a large chinbar. The liner seals perfectly around the ears and there is very little wind noise. It's aerodynamic enough that there's no buffeting to speak of.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM

I'm wondering if there are other things that can mitigate wind noise? I have a Vario windshield. Changing the position of the spoiler have nominal impact on wind noise. Larger windshield is obvoius. I wear a moduler helmet and they are loader than regular full face. I use earplugs. I wonder if installing hand guards with large deflectors makes a difference. What else can change the aerodynamics enough to make a difference?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM

I'm 5'9", and I've found that the stock windshied, and the Givi windshield are both fine, up to 65 mph. Faster than that, I get annoying buffeting on the forehead area of my helmet. Tilting the Givi back (using spacers) helps a little. I am working on adapting a sport/cafe racer windshield to the bike, when I have time.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM

NCjohn, the Versys is quieter on the road than the KLR. About a month ago, a buddy of mine, who rides an 08 KLR, swapped bikes with me for about 5 miles when we were out riding. The first thing I noticed that the KLR had more buffeting and wind noise around the helmet. When I jumped back on my Versys, it was definitely smoother and quieter than the KLR. BTW...this was around 50 - 60 mph. Hope that helps.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I'm wondering if there are other things that can mitigate wind noise? I have a Vario windshield. Changing the position of the spoiler have nominal impact on wind noise. Larger windshield is obvoius. I wear a moduler helmet and they are loader than regular full face. I use earplugs. I wonder if installing hand guards with large deflectors makes a difference. What else can change the aerodynamics enough to make a difference?
Handguards will only make a difference to your hands.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Shoei helmets are quiet. Modular ones are not.

My Album:
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 PM

I found that I had less wind noise with the screen in the lowest position, I think with the middle position my head was actually in the turbulence zone. Plenty of noise still but that goes with riding a bike. I use ear plugs for longer runs.

The mini fairing gets it off of my chest which is what matters to me. Compared a completley naked bike (Older KZ-650) the V is pretty decent with respect to wind.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
My buddy has a WeeStrom - riding it is like sitting in an enclosed cockpit, with very little wind noise or turbulence. The difference in the two bikes is amazing. Not sure, but it seems to me that the instrument panel and everything else on the Wee is higher and wider than on the Vee. I'm thinking about getting the setup that lets me put the Wee windscreen on the Vee.
He must have a new aftermarket shield or something. The Strom is notorious for having about the worst screen available on a modern motorcycle. About half of the posts on the Stom forums are folks figuring out how to deal with it. It's one of the main reasons that I got rid of mine. Nothing worked to stop it. The buffeting was amazingly bad - like being continually slapped in the head. Noise is easily fixed with ear-plugs, buffeting is much harder to deal with. The Versys is paradise compared to the Strom.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:19 AM

my Givi aftermarket screen works perfect. but i must confess that i still get more wind noise than when i am driving in my car. I wonder why - duh!

It is a freakin bike! Not a cage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode