Going to buy an 08 R6 tomorrow....anyone have any input? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Going to buy an 08 R6 tomorrow....anyone have any input?

I've got the itch for a little rocket.......not sure if i will keep the V too. Anyone got one? Any feedback? I dont normally ride more than 200-250 miles in a day and we have some great twisties in the area.

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
the guys that i know that have R6's love them. But their a lot younger than me.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
200 to 250 miles is still a long way on a R6, I would need to have a airhawk for any distance on that bike.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mileage and maintenance records? I prefer buying new.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post
I've got the itch for a little rocket.......not sure if i will keep the V too. Anyone got one? Any feedback? I dont normally ride more than 200-250 miles in a day and we have some great twisties in the area.

Choppastyle
Easy on the throttle would be my advice unless your doing trackdays with it.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM
MTS

Like weljo said great bike.

The older I get the more I like the up right V!

200-250 miles on R6 too many for this old timer... !!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 09-13-2013 at 06:47 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 AM

My roomie has a 06 r6. Fun bike for sure! But I can't ride them anymore. Bad back, along with realizing I enjoy touring seating position more anyways!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

$5700 with 7000 unmolested miles. They run $13,000 new after freight, setup and tt &l. Thats too rich for my blood. These new rockets dont require any real maintenance til 27,000 mile mark.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:47 AM

I have my Baby '09 V and an '06 gixer 600.
I like riding them both I have a commuting touring set up on the V and on the week-ends I take out the Suzuki. hands down they are two different animals so there is no comparing them. but the V is my first brand new bike and I love it.
Long distance rides I can do both but not 250 miles maybe or easy 100 on the sport bike.
The I can ride for ever I just have to do my last Mod buy a new comfortable seat...
Have fun and don't twist that throttle all the way until you are 100% confident
on that R6
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM

I looked like a monkey banging a football when I rode a friends r6.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Purchased

Bonus is that the Tags are good til 06/2014 so I don't have to pay TT&L for almost a year. Just need to give dairyland a call and insure it now.

Need to buy a new windshield. Guy had a double bubble blue on it.....what's up with that?

I'll write a ride report later........with pics.

Choppastyle

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM

What's wrong with the double bubble? It's one of the best screens for a sportbike
Funny thing about getting older/backpain on a bike etc........ It's actually the opposite of what most people think. I have a sketchy low back, so I bought the V thinking it would be best for me..... My back got really sore on long rides, because of the upright position.... Now on my Yamaha Fazer8, I'm a lot more leaned over, but the pressure is perfectly balanced between my legs, back/stomache and arms, and now I have zero back pain after a ride..!
Cheers
BIGO
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralpheal316 View Post
I have my Baby '09 V and an '06 gixer 600.
I like riding them both I have a commuting touring set up on the V and on the week-ends I take out the Suzuki. hands down they are two different animals so there is no comparing them. but the V is my first brand new bike and I love it.
Long distance rides I can do both but not 250 miles maybe or easy 100 on the sport bike.
The I can ride for ever I just have to do my last Mod buy a new comfortable seat...
Have fun and don't twist that throttle all the way until you are 100% confident
on that R6
Those are the two bikes I have! '13V650 and an '07 gixxer 600! I find I no longer enjoy a sportbike on the street. I did for years, but now that I'm *ahem* middle-aged, I can't put those kind of miles on them in a day. The V is perfect for the 250+ mile days, IMHO. My gixxer? Track only. If you get the R6, do trackdays with it as well. Tons of fun and you learn a lot.

I've got a dubblebubble on my gixxer. Helps a bit with the windflow compared to stock. Pretty typical mod.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM

What I hated about sportbikes, other than the ergonomics, is that you spend most of the time out of the powerband. In my old 07 CBR 600RR it wouldn't get into the powerband in 1st gear until 40mph! In very tight twisties that just doesn't work, and I don't feel like riding all over the place in 1st and 2nd gear, that is I why I sold the 600RR and kept my SV1000S, well, that and the fact that the ergos on the SV1000S are much more relaxed.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:09 PM

The thing I hated about supersports was having douchers in Honda Civics always trying to challenge me to "race", mostly I suspect they just wanted to see me squid out. Which I suspect happens a lot.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Bike is in the garage torn apart right now. I wasn't going to do this (as the prior owner said oil change was just done 1,000 miles ago) but I got bored on a rainy day. I figued I might as go through the bike and do all the maintenance. Still haven't ridden it more than 4 miles . This way I'll know it's done right and can have peace of mind.

Done:
Tightened Chain Slack
Bled Brakes
Flushed Radiator
Inspected Air Filter

Need to Do Still:
Oil Change
Spark Plug Change (I hear this is a PITA)

The Double Bubble design was nice but the color is what turned me off (it was bright blue). I just wanted to put the bike back to 100% stock.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:07 PM

"Spark Plug Change (I hear this is a PITA)"

Like the Versy's isn't?

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 PM

Like others here, I have my 2009 Versys and a sportbike, in my case a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675. To me, those two bikes are a great combination because although they're just 25cc apart, they are worlds apart in the way they perform and feel, and that's what I want, variety. I can understand people who like a specific style of bike, but I have trouble understanding people who own three nearly identical bikes. Give me variety!

Definitely keep both, Choppastyle! And while the rest of us wait for him to stop wrenching and post some photos, I'll post up mine as illustrations.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

R6

This bike is pretty amazing. The power is almost too much. I actually had the rear wheel slip a bit on a left turn while giving it some gas. That was humbling. I look forward to keeping it around for a bit. I'm having trouble posting pics but I will post some soon.

Choppastyle

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode