Shinko 705 DS tire - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shinko 705 DS tire

I found on one of my dirtbike parts suppliers sites a Shinko 705 D.S. tire that looks interesting and the price is right, was wondering if anyone has tried it before and what they think. I can get a 150/70-17 for 92.00$ Canadian from Gnarly Parts.com with free shipping on orders over 150.00$, I think its the same deal for you guy south of the border if your interested.
The Shinko doesent come in a front 17" size so I figure I would have to run a Distanza on the front which is a radial and the 705 is a bias ply, which does make me wonder if it would be a good match or not. I know it can be done because I know some Harlys come with a bias on the back and a radial on the front, and way the lawarers are these days it must be O.K. or they wouldent do it for fear of being sued. But we are talking Harly's they start scraping chrome before you get very far over in a corner so they cant push there tires very hard in the corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Can't comment on that particular tire, but I have a Shinko 005 Advance on the rear and a Metzeler M3 on the front. The Shinko seems to offer adequate grip, but can't really comment on how long they last. Looking around on the internet it seems that everyone who has tried Shinko tires seems to like them, they seem like a good deal.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM

I can't comment on the Shinko but my Guzzi comes from the factory with one radial and one bias.My BMW came with radials but the factory could not give me any reason why you could not use bias or radial or a combo of the two.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 PM

On the V-Strom website (Stromtrooper) there are good reports on the Shinko 705. I plan to put them on my Vstrom 650 later this summer and they are really cheap.

I put Pirelli MT60s on my Versys and they are a great (60/40) tire, but they are NOT cheap.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Some Triumphs come with a bias/ radial mix.
Ed
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 PM

I think it would be a good experiment to test different front/rear tyres from different makers. However the construction (bias or radial) should be the same.
Had been advised many times not to mix a bias/ radial tyre combination.
If need be, bias front and radial rear.Explained below:

http://www.michelinag.com/agx/en-US/...ias_radial.jsp

Can't comment about Shinko tyre but visited their website. but like all things, have to use it to prove it

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I bit the bullet and ordered the tire today should have it in a week or two, might have to give it a try with the stock front tire because I picked up a nail on my stock rear with 1400 km. on it. I plugged the hole and it seems to be holding but not sure if it's worth running it and always worrying about it starting to leak and cause you grief.

I figure that I will give the Shinko 705's a try because I can almost buy 2 1/2 of these rear tires for the price of one Distanza they want 235$ up here for a rear 17".
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Crude,

If you do try the Shinko 705s, appreciate a of your feedback on the tires.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 PM

How's this coming along?
Let us know when you receive the tire.
I'd like to get a little more aggressive on my tires and do some dual-sporting with my brother, but I don't want to completely give up my handling because I put a lot of miles of asphalt under the Versys
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
How's this coming along?
Let us know when you receive the tire.
I'd like to get a little more aggressive on my tires and do some dual-sporting with my brother, but I don't want to completely give up my handling because I put a lot of miles of asphalt under the Versys
ditto

Here's some good reviews

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 03:03 PM.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Here they are !!!

Ive had the 705's on my Wee for about 8K (edit 6K.. bad math) miles thru desert, dry roads, wet roads, mud, gravel.. thats about it i guess and they are by far the best tire for Adventure type riding (meaning riding anywhere you want to go... forget the naysayers and their minoins)

So when the wife got a Versys.. guess what happened ???

Shinko 705's !!

Installing the 130 on the front meant raising the fender about 3" and replacing the brake lines (currently running only one side, waiting on SS lines to show up). Used Dynabeads to balance and took her out to see how she handled @ 70-75 and found some mud to play in on the way back... FOUR STARS !!!!

If youre lookin to do more than street riding with your V.. then the 705's are a perfect solution.. if you want them fast.. contact Todd @ TiresUnlimited.. no affiliation.. just had 2 good experiences dealing w/them.

(btw - yes I know the Q rating means 99mph.. and yes I know they had a couple questionably defective tires)

Last edited by The Toad; 11-04-2009 at 01:57 PM.
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Seeing this makes me think of the ol' DRZ & wanting 2 sets of wheels, street & dirt!

Oh lord somebody stop this madness!!!!

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 03:03 PM.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Still waiting for my 005's to wear out so I can put these on. They look good and it's nice to hear good things. My guy up here has them in stock, I should just go get the damn things.

PS. Thanks for making me spend more money.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Makes me crave a 2nd Versys! Where's my damn lottery ticket?!

Montani Semper Liberi
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Hmm, I'm gonna have to burn up my stock tires quick next spring so i can try some new ones.
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
vp7

What sizes would I use if I didn't want to raise the fenders and such. They don't seem to have the exact size that the Versys is supposed to get. I will need at least a new rear for the start of next season and I would love to get something that is a bit more off-roadable like this tire looks.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Ive had the 705's on my Wee for about 8K miles thru desert, dry roads, wet roads, mud, gravel.. thats about it i guess
What pressure do you run in the rear? I saw Shinko rates the max cold inflation of the 150/70-17 at 33 PSI, which seems a bit low for V-Stroms (or Versys). Are you using 33 or higher? 8K miles seems like a good mileage for a dirt oriented tire.

Gustavo

post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp7 View Post
What sizes would I use if I didn't want to raise the fenders and such. They don't seem to have the exact size that the Versys is supposed to get.
That's the whole problem, there are very few dirt oriented tires that fit the Versys. The tires that fit are designed for supermoto, so they are soft and don't last that long (the fact that they are usually rather expensive only makes matters worse). What people are doing is adapting other tires to work on the OE rims. The 130/80-17 is a rear tire, it's the closest you get in dirt tires to the Versys front size.

Gustavo

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=The Toad;56913]Ive had the 705's on my Wee for about 8K miles thru desert, dry roads, wet roads, mud, gravel.. thats about it i guess and they are by far the best tire for Adventure type riding (meaning riding anywhere you want to go... forget the naysayers and their minoins)

So when the wife got a Versys.. guess what happened ???
QUOTE]

Hi 'Toad', So when you and the wife ride together, do your photo's sorta look like ours??????????????

We were reading about the tire issue, she's due for a new set come spring time, found your thread - Just great !!!! I got my Wee a month before she got her V, and I'm here to farkle her bike and get info, kinda like you.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
That's the whole problem, there are very few dirt oriented tires that fit the Versys. The tires that fit are designed for supermoto, so they are soft and don't last that long (the fact that they are usually rather expensive only makes matters worse). What people are doing is adapting other tires to work on the OE rims. The 130/80-17 is a rear tire, it's the closest you get in dirt tires to the Versys front size.

Gustavo
I have tried the 130/80-17 ... Now I run the 120/90-17 on the front of my "V" ... It has less rotating mass ... and has a closer to "STOCK" feel to the front end ... the 130/80-17 that I ran, had to much rotating mass ... It felt like I was driving a truck ... It was however very stable ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode