Dropped it! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dropped it!

I was riding back from work last friday and not 2 minutes from home I went down on the pavement all by myself (luckily, I didn't hit anything). I was going up a hill and just at the apex, a car in the oppostite direction was waiting to make a left turn so I was careful to pay attention to him since he could have cut me off. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to what was in front and when I got to the top of the hill, it descends sharply and every single car in front of me was at a dead stop (even though there hadn't been anyone in front of me for some time). Given the shape of the hill I couldn't see them until I got to the top. I jumped on the brakes, but locked up the front and down I went on my left side. Luckily I had slowed down and must have been doing only about 50-60K at the time (say 35 mph) which is what I usually do when I get close to a car who could potentially cut me off.

I got a little road rash on my knee and my shoulder is very stiff, but it's all getting better by the day. I'll break it down to a lack of experience on my part. The Versys brakes quite harder than the beat up Boulevard 650 we used in class. I've only been riding since last September and with winter and all, I only got my full license 3 weeks ago. I try to be careful, but this one is still my fault.

Luckily the bike was in good enough shape to ride home and I've only got about 3-400$ worth of aesthetic damage on it. The gear change lever I've bent back into shape, but will replace anyways. Aside from that everything works fine. That being said. I've been looking around for parts suppliers and the prices on some of the stores in my area are ridiculous.

Anyone know of any better sources?

Thanks!
Jon

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 PM

Glad you were not seriously hurt; sounds like it could happen to anyone in that case.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM

That sucks and I'm glad you're alright.
I've got to ask though since this is the 3rd thread I've seen today about dropping, why don't you just file a claim with your insurance company?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:30 PM

I dropped mine in a similar fashion, however I was cut off by someone on a cell phone. I don't know of any good cheap OEM parts suppliers... I just shopped online and paid what I had to. As for insurance, I doubt many riders have insurance, or even comprehensive to pay for such damages. A lot of states don't require insurance... and it is often too expensive compared to simple repair costs. But that could because I'm young, and insurance companies hate the young.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Since I'm 29, in order to get a decent rate I had to set my deductible at 1000$ so they won't pay out anything. Same thing happened when my windshield got chipped by a stone on my car. I had to pay 350$ out of my own pocket (although some insurance companies waive the deductible on windshields). Despite these incidents, the worst part is that I'm still saving money overall because of the rates I got with the higher deductible. Gotta love those insurance companies.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM

I'm glad i'm not the only one in the boat! Although, another good way to get cheap OEM parts is to shout for them in the forums. A lot of guys replace the easy to break/original parts with better quality ones. And they usually keep the old ones and will sell for cheap! I used to do that with my old motorcycle, seems a lot of riders put on new levers, bar ends, handle bars, and mirrors.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Interesting.
Washington definitely requires insurance. Even if it didn't, there is no way I wouldn't insure a brand new bike.
I've got full coverage with no deductable on comp and $100 on collision (which is the lowest they offer for collision. I wanted $0 for that also) through State Farm for only $27 per month. Unless you're very young and/or have a horrible driving record I can't see the price fluctuating that much based on location. I would still insure it even if the price was twice as much.

Last edited by basby; 06-09-2009 at 04:06 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM

In Ontario, the Compulsory Auto Insurance act says you must have insurance. First offence fine is $5000.00.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
But that could because I'm young, and insurance companies hate the young.
..do they or is it they just hate the claims record of the young
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basby View Post
Interesting.
...I can't see the price fluctuating that much based on location. ...
It does fluctuate based on location but I don't think it applies to motorcycles because they're not multi-passenger vehicles where all that data is gathered. Memphis has one of the highest uninsured motorist rates in the country. We pay more on our auto-insurance policies because of it. My 98 Dodge Caravan costs $414/year for full coverage with a $1000 deductible, but my policy for a 36yo, full coverage $1000 deductible is $330/year on a motorcycle that's worth 5 times what the van is worth.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to archer183
With state farm it definitely fluctuates. Just by moving from Spokane, Washington to richland, Washington, my rates went from 35/mo to 27/mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode