gear shifting rpms?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
gear shifting rpms??

Hey all, I have a question. After coming off of a cruiser I find myself wanting to shift gears too soon. Alot of times I shift only to find out the bike shutters so then I am downshifting to get up to speed. My question is at what rpms are yall shifting? I know to listen to the bike and it depends on the circumstances but I am talking about just everyday riding. I am finding myself shifting at about 4k. Is it ok to shift at say 6 or 7k or higher? I am still not used to the parallel twin and its high rev. characteristics. Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 AM

You can shift it all the way to reline if you so desire.

I generally rev mine to 6500-7000 RPM (RPMS? Revolutions per minutes??? )

Generally the best place to shift is just shy of a bikes peak torque. But in most cases riders find it comfortable to shift a bike somewhere around 1/2 its redline.
This rule of thumb will work for a variety of bikes.

I like to go a little higher though, unless I am putting around in traffic.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Truth is I don't see what rpm I am on when upshifting/downshifting.

To shift up smoothly, is the combination in sequence of throttle, clutch control and engaging the correct gear for that riding speed.
For downshifting, with the three above, braking comes in.

Finding the engine rpm G-spot to shift is what we want when shifting gears. Too early a shift, and you won't have power to acceleration. Too late and there be jerks.

Observed myself that:

1. If the bike jerks while you're letting out the clutch, you are letting go
the clutch foo fast.
2. If you're lurching ahead during shifts, you twisting too much throttle.
3. Have to continue twisting the throttle till your reach the next gear
shift. Each gear is happy at a certain speed.
4. When downshifting, slowed down enough (braking) to shift into a
lower gear with the smooth use of the throttle, clutch and gear.

I am no expert but I strive to make my shifts up/down as smooth as possible (not to upset the chassis). Only way is practice and practice
(good excuse to ride) till it become an instinct.

I do remember reading useful advice in "Twist of the Wrist II" by Keith Code.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 AM

I came off a cruiser too (Vulcan Drifter 800) and it was weird getting used to the shifting of the V at first. I let the engine rev 4-6K slowly in traffic or quickly on open roads. I also found that a quick 'flick' of the clutch lever when the engine feels ready gives me a Cadillac-smooth shift.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 AM

To ask another related question. I'm still in my break in period, so I'm a little carefull about RPM's..Around town in the 35-40mph areas, I keep mine around 4000rpm, what ever gear that is. After break in, what is the best RPM for the engine to cruise at?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
To ask another related question. I'm still in my break in period, so I'm a little carefull about RPM's..Around town in the 35-40mph areas, I keep mine around 4000rpm, what ever gear that is. After break in, what is the best RPM for the engine to cruise at?
Depends on you. What do you define as best? Fuel mileage? Available torque? Least amount of buzziness?

It also depends on what type of riding you do.

Try different ranges of RPM until you figure out what you like.

I came off two previous inline fours. So i tend to keep the Versys in a higher RPM range than most riders.

Once you get out of break-in you will figure it out.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 AM

I don't pay much attention to RPM's but around town I shift somewhere around 5000. Anything higher than that and engine braking makes for a jerky ride when you back off of the throttle. As for cruising, the bike doesn't care. In 6th gear the bike is just as happy at 65 mph as it is at 90 mph.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
After break in, you're to spin up that rpm as much as you like on 6th gear.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 PM

I always run out of road (safe road) before I can get to the top of the powerband in 6th. I read top of the powerband is around 8.5K rpm. I shift whatever RPM feels comfortable. Shifting and riding got a lot smoother after I stop peeking at the tach and start feeling the bike.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not one that likes to get into the high revs. I tend to keep it between 3-5K at most times. But the motor has great pulling from 3000-8000. Its great in the twisties because you really don't need to shift.

You do need to be aware of the engine breaking though. Let go of the throttle at high revs and it slows fast!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
You can shift it all the way to reline if you so desire.

I generally rev mine to 6500-7000 RPM (RPMS? Revolutions per minutes??? )

Generally the best place to shift is just shy of a bikes peak torque. But in most cases riders find it comfortable to shift a bike somewhere around 1/2 its redline.
This rule of thumb will work for a variety of bikes.

I like to go a little higher though, unless I am putting around in traffic.

"RsPM" just doesn't sound right
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
I don't pay much attention to RPM's but around town I shift somewhere around 5000. Anything higher than that and engine braking makes for a jerky ride when you back off of the throttle. As for cruising, the bike doesn't care. In 6th gear the bike is just as happy at 65 mph as it is at 90 mph.
You beat me to exactly what I was going to say.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. It does shift alot smoother between 4 and 6K. Coming off a mean streak 1600 guess I am still use to shifting between 2-3K. I just worry that I am gonna wear the little 649cc motor out if I rev it high...lol
I keep having to remind myself that it was designed and built to run at higher revs. and that it is perfectly safe... Yall agree on this?
I dont miss the meanie at all. My 09 Green V ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhewitt3 View Post
"RsPM" just doesn't sound right
It's one of the "magic" acronyms.
It's singular and plural in one form.

1 Revolution Per Minute (RPM)
1000 Revolutions Per Minute (RPM)
3000-5000 Revolutions Per Minute (RPM)

It's exactly like another common "magic" acronym......... MPH.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 AM

My previous bikes were inline fours. So shifting at 5000-6000 RPM IS low to me.

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 AM

I'd suggest riding around without looking at the tach and see where it "feels" best for you. Different situations call for different shift points.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:46 AM

ok i'm actually going to give an answer to your question. Being a person that has to see and hear just about everything i notice my tech alot. under normal driving around town and going into highways i normally shift at about 5-6k. i try to make sure that when i shift i'm going to end up at 4k or slightly above. this will provide you with good mpg (seemingly) and give you good power if you have to roll on the throttle a little to avoid some people.

if i'm having to get up to speed quickly i find myself shifting near to 8-8.5k mark with the throttle twisted pretty good. when i do this the end rpm after the shift is right about 6k and that is kinda like the engines sweet spot for pulling good.

if i'm in traffic i short shift a good bit to keep and accidental throttle twisting at bay. i find a shift about about 4.5k and end up at about 3-3.5k after the shift. at those rpm's the engine has smooth power but not alot which is perfect for traffic.

in the end its all personnel preference and you need to find what you like. shifting a 4k sounds really early but if its good for you keep doing it. i bet you will like the bike more if you rev it out a little more though. revving it a little higher than that will not hurt the engine at all, you are still not even close to the redline. infact this engine does not have good performance near redline and shifting about 1k before it will actually get you up to speed quicker (btw that is odd for a moto i hear).

Dan

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM

It's not as much what rpm you shift at, the important thing is the rpm after the shift. If it's too low, you'll be out of the power band and lugging the engine. Ride more. You'll get a feeling for it, and you'll get smoother as time passes. The engine doesn't really care for a lot of throttle under about 3500 rpm.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM

I had the same question,, my dealer told me not to take it over 4000 rpms for the first 500 miles.

I'm about there.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
ok i'm actually going to give an answer to your question. Being a person that has to see and hear just about everything i notice my tech alot. under normal driving around town and going into highways i normally shift at about 5-6k. i try to make sure that when i shift i'm going to end up at 4k or slightly above. this will provide you with good mpg (seemingly) and give you good power if you have to roll on the throttle a little to avoid some people.

if i'm having to get up to speed quickly i find myself shifting near to 8-8.5k mark with the throttle twisted pretty good. when i do this the end rpm after the shift is right about 6k and that is kinda like the engines sweet spot for pulling good.

if i'm in traffic i short shift a good bit to keep and accidental throttle twisting at bay. i find a shift about about 4.5k and end up at about 3-3.5k after the shift. at those rpm's the engine has smooth power but not alot which is perfect for traffic.

in the end its all personnel preference and you need to find what you like. shifting a 4k sounds really early but if its good for you keep doing it. i bet you will like the bike more if you rev it out a little more though. revving it a little higher than that will not hurt the engine at all, you are still not even close to the redline. infact this engine does not have good performance near redline and shifting about 1k before it will actually get you up to speed quicker (btw that is odd for a moto i hear).

Dan

This is exactly what my response was going to be!

As to the break-in period, I followed the Motoman break in routine so I was done with break-in by 100 miles. Now I drive it like I stole it.... well not really, if I had stole it I would drive slower so as not to attract attention.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode