should i buy one? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
should i buy one?

hey all i am new here and am thinking seriously of replacing my current bike with a versys. i commute 20k per year before any pleasure riding. i have 40k on my 06gs500f and don't see myself doing another year on it if i can help it. there seems to be plenty of aftermarket toys to make it what i would like.

what are the service intervals?
what is your mpg?
anything to scare me away?

thanks.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Read this thread and then reply there. Believe it or not this question has been asked before!

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM

i cant answer the first question but i can answer the second 2.

i have been getting just over 50 mpg and i'm a pretty tall person (6'5") and i have been caught in alot of traffic. i have also just switched over to full synthetic oil and i should get better gas mileage now.

no there is nothing to scare to away. this is my first motorcycle and i'm very happy with it. i'm a very critical person and i can find a flaw in everything. the ones on this bike are more than small enough to get on my nerves. the only 2 things i'm going change out of being able to ride longer are the seat and the wind screen. if you have read about this bike at all then you know that these are 2 of the most major complaints. as for the vibrations, yes they are there but they are not that bod at all. mine has its worse vibration at speed when the tach is at just under 6k rpm. it i'm above or below that point (like 100 rpm) the motor is very smooth.

i would say that the versys is a great commuter bike. i have also planned on doing some commuting on the bike. nothing like you do but i find that the versys handles perfect in traffic. it changes direction with easy.

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Hi Dadsafrantic,

If you haven't read this, try http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...wasaki-versys/

It a simple,good handling, well engineered bike. There are some issues as in the postings but easily tackled with aftermarket accessories.
goodluck: in your decision.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
hey all i am new here and am thinking seriously of replacing my current bike with a versys. i commute 20k per year before any pleasure riding. i have 40k on my 06gs500f and don't see myself doing another year on it if i can help it. there seems to be plenty of aftermarket toys to make it what i would like.

what are the service intervals?
what is your mpg? First 6000 miles, almost always 47 to 48 mpg. Last 3 tanks, 50 mpg.
anything to scare me away? For long distance/lots of commuting, the seat.

thanks.

And more reading...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 PM

No, It's a terrible excuse for a motorcycle and I hate it!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

On the MPG issue... I get 50 when I don't have it working all that hard. I get 45 when I flog it. This weekend I did 630 miles, only stops were: 2 fuel stops (30 & 20 Minutes) and 8 picture stops (~3 min each). I got 46.5 MPG for the entire run. My Average including stop time was 48MPH, 52MPH excluding stop time (13.5/12.25 hours respectively). I do have a taller Cee Bailey windscreen.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 PM

I was not planning on buying a Versys. I stumble into what looked like a good deal and I got one. I am extremely happy with it. Most would agree there might be bikes out there that excel at something. However, it's hard to beat the Versys as an all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode