Cruiser Guy - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cruiser Guy

I posted this on the Triumph Daytona 675 Forum over at Triumphrat.net

I can't decide between getting another V? or going completely crazy and trying a full on sportbike? here is the post:

Hi all, I am interested in the Triumph Daytona 675, I come mostly from a Cruiser background, but am looking to do a little more spirited riding. Here is a brief history, grew up riding trail bikes, kawasaki 100, (14-17 years old). Then bought a 1978 Yamaha DT-175 and commuted on it when I was 22, then got out of bikes until 2002 when I bought a Suzuki DRZ-400S, loved riding it so much on the street, way more fun than the dirt I thought, even thought about turning it into a Motard. In 2004 I sold it and bought a Triumph Speedmaster (865cc cruiser). Since 2002 I have put on approx. 5-10k miles a year on a bike.

Since 2004 I have bought and sold and ridden the following bikes:

2005 Yamaha Warrior
2007 Yamaha Warrior
2007 Triumph Speedmaster
2008 Suzuki M109R
2008 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha Raider (113")
2008 Harley FatBob

Only own two bikes now, the Fatbob and the 07 Triumph.

I am turning 49, but am in good physical shape, I have never owned a sportbike, but I think if i put Heli bars on it I'll be alright. I consider myself a fair rider, not a newbie and not an expert. Is riding a sportbike a whole new way of riding than a cruiser or a standard?

I'm not interested in the track, althought have never done it. Not interested in doing stunts either, just want a pure sportbike to learn that there's more to biking than cruisers and standards.
Any thoughts or advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n1645644127_99144_7354.jpg (71.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.JPG (545.4 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 PM

Helibars?
The Versys has full-on handlebars.
If you close your eyes it's not to hard to imagine you're sitting on a dirt bike.
The seating position is very upright and comfortable.

This is not a 'pure sportbike' as you say. It is a very sporty whatever-it-is.
It will definitely blow your harley away in cornering.

It may not have as comfortable a seat, but then again I don't really see how anyone is comfortable on a harley with their legs spread and their feet out like a street walker.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're ready for the full on crotch rocket experience! Get the triumph, or something similar. You've already ridden a Versys. If you don't get the sport bike, you'll always be asking yourself 'what if'. If you do get it & don't like it, you can always sell it & go back to the bike you liked the best (the Versys )...

You know, there are other bikes in the sport bike class that are fun. I'm a big fan of the SV650. Of course, if it's a triumph you're after, how about a street triple? They're supposed to be a blast to ride.

Good luck & let us know what you get! Don't forget the pictures!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 PM

Good thread Canyon! I too will be interested in reading the responses.

It appears you can buy pretty much whatever you want and would like to experience a sport bike before you get too much older. All I can say is how will your body feel if you wait until you are 59 to own a sport bike? Now may be the time.... There must be some seasoned vets that ride sport bikes and like them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
...Is riding a sportbike a whole new way of riding than a cruiser or a standard?...
Yes, and no.

Same: You can ride a sportbike just like a cruiser. You just don't use the full rev range of the engine. You will probably have to rev it a bit more than a standard cruiser, though.

Different: If you want to, your typical sportbike will accelerate and corner like no cruiser I know of. This is a very different type of riding. Think Ford F150 compared to Honda/Acura NSX. The sportbike is typically much lighter and the seating position is way different. Good throttle control is crucial for safely operating a sportbike.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM

I've had 17 different bikes over the years, samples of all types from enduro to cruiser to 1000cc sport bike. It depends on what you want out of the bike. If you are looking for the ability to corner and also have straight line horsepower then a true sportbike is the answer. If you simply want to be able to ride the twisties, the V will work very well. I'd be willing to say that in the twisties, a decent rider on the V will hang with 98 percent of the sportbike riders on the street, just don't think you will keep up when the road straightens.

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I had a Speedmaster a few years back. Put on about 4,500 miles in 3 months and then realized I really am not a cruiser sort of guy. It was all right for what it was, but the local dealer was the worst ever and had the bike in his shop for over a week, just for a regular service! Sold it and bought myself a Z1000, which became an FZ1 and now the Versys. I am MUCH happier than with the Triumph, though I don't have near the chrome I put on it...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM

I have a 2002 Yamaha Warrior 1700 that accelerates harder than anything I've ever ridden. It just stops accellerating alot sooner!

Get yourself that sportbike and have alot of fun. Living is best when you are doing what you choose and what you enjoy.

I'd have never gotten a cruiser if it wasn't something that I wondered about. It has added a whole new riding experience for me.

Remember that there is no wrong choice as long as it's your choice.

Ride on,
Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
I have a 2002 Yamaha Warrior 1700 that accelerates harder than anything I've ever ridden. It just stops accellerating alot sooner!

Get yourself that sportbike and have alot of fun. Living is best when you are doing what you choose and what you enjoy.

I'd have never gotten a cruiser if it wasn't something that I wondered about. It has added a whole new riding experience for me.

Remember that there is no wrong choice as long as it's your choice.

Ride on,
Bob
Another great sig line!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Wow I thought I was the only crazy one going through 2 bikes a year.Fat bob is a fun bike. Superglide was incredible, if your thinking of a sport bike your nuts,dont waste your money. It seems we have the backround w/ riding. Sport bikes hust after about 1 hour maybe 2 on a good day. I bought the versys and love it. Great bang for the bike, put a corbin seat on and ride all day stock seat sucks. Very comfortable awsome handling and quick for it's size. After putting a seat on I have no complaints what-so-evergreat on highway and even better on twisties. Hope this helps. Chrisb
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey Chris, yeah I am crazy! Anyway thanks for your advice, I probably should just get another V! My short list is a V, Harley XR1200 or Triumph Tiger. V is by far the best value, and I have to start paying for my daughters college, so the bike buying and selling spree might be over for awhile..............
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 AM

have you looked at this: http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2009%20...iple_9849.aspx

i sat on one of those at the DC motorcycle show and really wanted to buy one but at the time it was way to expensive for me seeing it would have been my first moto and the insurance would have killed me. felt sweet none the less. a little more dirt bike feeling in the cockpit than a true sport bike but not so upright like the versys. i would consider it for my second bike

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode