SW Motech Racks or Givi racks? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech Racks or Givi racks?

Anybody have a quick answer to this one, is it worth the extra money for the SW Motech's? I don't think I will be taking it off too much but who knows. Just wouldn't want to pay extra cash for something I wouldn't really want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM

Being able to remove them in seconds is nice but its basically up to you. I think the SWMT mounts are built better but its just my opinion.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3766

Do a search there is plenty of info about both.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 PM

I ordered the Givi V35 bags and racks from my local Kawi dealer. I thought I was getting Givi racks but apparently Kawasaki supplies the SW-Motech racks. These racks are not the quick connect version. They require you to remove and discard your factory grab rails because these racks have built in tubular steel grab handles. Initially I was not happy to lose my factory grab rails but these look pretty good and they're very secure. The other advantage is that the bags are totally secure without the need to buy the SW-Motech locks. I would provide some photos but I can't figure out how to reduce the size to 600 x 600.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Well I called Twisted Throttle earlier and ordered a bunch of accessories $$$$$. I need a second job now, anyways I am getting the SW Motech racks and the E41 side cases and V46 top case, black and some other stuff. Thanks for the tips.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 PM

I bought the SW MOTECH racks for my Givi E21's, then change the side cases to Trax 37's. It only took a new $20 adapter set from Twisted Throttle to mount the Trax cases.

Not having used the Givi rack I can't speak to that, but I'm very happy with the MOTECH racks, very rugged, easy on/off (I have the optional locks for the rack) and look good too. I didn't even need to relocate the turn signals.

I bought the MOTECH AL-Rack toprack too when I changed out the Givi's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 05:02 AM

How do you like the trax boxes?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienna View Post
How do you like the trax boxes?
I like mine and I have the 45 liter size.

Maloy
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 PM

I had the Givi's on the bike for about 6 month. I just put the Trax on 2 weeks ago. I really like them, you can cram and cram stuff in and they don't seem to fill up. Rugged mounts, rugged locks, look good too.

Unfortunately my set is going back due to some water leakage, but I'll be putting them back on when the leakage gets sorted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TraX_37s_Sidecases_TraX_38_Topcase.JPG (377.8 KB, 98 views)

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
vp7

My order from Twisted Throttle is here and since it's supposed to rain for the weekend that should give me enough time for installation. SW Motech racks, crashbars and Givi E41's, V46. And a bit of other stuff, I'll post pics once I get it all done and have a chance to ride again.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
vp7

So far it looks like a puzzle, and I used to like mercano, but then those guys used to have good instructions. And I even speak German, thanks for all those instruction on this forum.

Vlast

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 PM

a2ron, where did you get that red netting thats on your back seat?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Red Cargo Net - It's a generic from Cycle World that the plastic hooks broke on day 2. I replaced the busted hooks with Aerostich Power Hooks which work about 1000% better. Thought the red net looked better than the black.

Replacement Trax boxes are on the way!

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Went with the SW-Motech racks. Bought the Kawasaki/Givi bags from the dealer w/trim package. Got both in a couple of days. Put everything together except the turn signals re-locate. I couldn't figure out how that damn tail piece goes on. I then realized the part had been weilded backwards! Called Nick at Twisted Throttle who tried to help and was able to send out a corrected piece 10 days later! . Got it together now and it looks great! It really is'nt necessary to re-locate the rear turn signals as it says in the instructions. I think the signals can be seen ok and I'm sure in most states it is legal.

Last edited by TedF; 06-20-2009 at 08:06 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 PM

I just put my SW racks on today.

The right side fit well , just left all the bolts a little loose until the quick disconnects were in place and then tightened the rest of the bolts.

The left side was another story. All the quick disconnects lined up except the one that bolts to the bottom of the passenger foot bracket. That one was off by at least an inch.I am guessing the bracket on the bike may have been welded a little off position.

Any way, I got it to fit with a little creative bending and a new hole in the bracket.

Anyone else had any issues with their alignment being way off?

Other than that, they look good and are solid. I am going to use mine to support soft bags for now. Maybe the Trax boxes later.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
vp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
I just put my SW racks on today.

The right side fit well , just left all the bolts a little loose until the quick disconnects were in place and then tightened the rest of the bolts.

The left side was another story. All the quick disconnects lined up except the one that bolts to the bottom of the passenger foot bracket. That one was off by at least an inch.I am guessing the bracket on the bike may have been welded a little off position.
Pretty well the same thing happened to me. It wasn't quite 1" but it did take a bit of bending as well, I did not have to make a new whole but it can be a pain in the butt.

Vlast

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 AM

Hmmm....I installed mine last week and it fit just right.....
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
vp7

I am wondering how the top brackets those that are just behind the seat are supposed to be put on, maybe I put them on the wrong way. All the pics I have seen so far aren't that clear and the drawings for the instructions are the greatest either.

Vlast

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:00 AM

Proper installation of the brackets that install to the rear grab rail mounting point....the bend should be down with the rack slot offset toward the front of the bike. There is a left and a right side for that bracket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode