Jacket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
potus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorthWest Arkansas
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jacket

My Joe Rocket Meteor jacket needs to be replaced.
I'm looking for something waterproof so I won't have to stop and put on rain gear. I'd like decent venting for summer riding (hybrid mesh?) and a removable liner for winter. I've got a separate back protector, so that's not an absolute necessity, but shoulder and elbow armor is.
If it zips to the 8" zipper on my ballistic pants that would be great.
I refuse to buy anything made in China, VietNam, or any other nation hostile to the U.S., so my options are limited.
Other than very expensive custom works from Bates or Aerostitch, are there any suggestions?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
potus2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
psc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tijeras NM
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spend the money. I have the Bates and Aerostich. After 10+ years on each, the cost amortizes to <10c per ride. I now wear Motoport gear. Also expensive, but cheaper than skin grafts and hospital stays. Oh yes, made in San Diego, suburb of Tijuana.

Peter
psc is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You might look at Olympia and Revit too. Not sure where they are made, but both are great quality.
matthelimech is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Member
 
Boricua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tourmaster Intake 2. Mesh jacket. CE approved armor on elbows and shoulders, EVA back armor. Three removable layers on water proof one insulation. Once all removed it feels like your riding with a t-shirt. Got it under $140. Fortunetaly have not tested in a crash and plan it to keep it that way.
Boricua is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
potus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorthWest Arkansas
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got 13 good years out of my Canadian made Meteor, but it is no longer weatherproof and the hooks have fallen off all the velcro. For safety's sake I'm still using it for now.
Every Tourmaster I've seen has been Chinese, so that's out. I also don't want to have to stop, unpack the appropriate liner, undress and redress whenever it starts to rain. I just want to be able to just zip it up and ride on.
I had a buddy that crash tested some Olympia gloves once and found them lacking. His Levi's outperformed the leather gloves. I'll always have trust issues with them for that.
Never heard of Revit, I'll look into them.
Aerostitch is just too rich for me. There is an off the shelf Bates I might try. I'll look into Motoport as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming...

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
potus2012 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton AB.
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have an Alpinestars mesh jacket and love it. The Alpinestars pants, however, zip all the way around. It's made in Indonesia but...are you stuck in the 60's? The Vietnam war is over. It's okay to support their economy.
charly is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
I got 13 good years out of my Canadian made Meteor, but it is no longer weatherproof and the hooks have fallen off all the velcro. For safety's sake I'm still using it for now.
Every Tourmaster I've seen has been Chinese, so that's out. I also don't want to have to stop, unpack the appropriate liner, undress and redress whenever it starts to rain. I just want to be able to just zip it up and ride on.
I had a buddy that crash tested some Olympia gloves once and found them lacking. His Levi's outperformed the leather gloves. I'll always have trust issues with them for that.
Never heard of Revit, I'll look into them.
Aerostitch is just too rich for me. There is an off the shelf Bates I might try. I'll look into Motoport as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming...
The olympia gloves are a different company than the clothing company. I have a friend that swears by olympia, has tested it. I personally tested the REVIT stuff and thats pretty well all I wear now, 70 mph get off on pavement and did not abrade through.
matthelimech is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
potus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorthWest Arkansas
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
I have an Alpinestars mesh jacket and love it. The Alpinestars pants, however, zip all the way around. It's made in Indonesia but...are you stuck in the 60's? The Vietnam war is over. It's okay to support their economy.
Which jacket do you have, and does it do a good job of keeping the rain out without having to take it off and install a liner?
Yes the war is over, and no it is not OK to support their economy. This, however, belongs in another thread.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
potus2012 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton AB.
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
Which jacket do you have, and does it do a good job of keeping the rain out without having to take it off and install a liner?
Yes the war is over, and no it is not OK to support their economy. This, however, belongs in another thread.
According to the tag, it's a T-RC-1 Air Flo jacket. I guess I shouldn't call it mesh since it's a heavy duty textile jacket.

Here's how I look at zip-in liners: This jacket has one but I rarely use it. In moderate rain in the short haul it does a good job of repelling rain without the liner. I put the liner in during colder weather to block the wind. The jacket lives up to its name and has good air circulation in hot weather.

Zip-in liners, however, are a pain in the a$$ to install. Those bloody tabs inside the sleeves are impossible to locate and, if you were to attempt to zip in the liner during a sudden rainstorm, you would be soaked to the skin by the time you got your jacket back on. Besides that, zip-in liners are no better than the cheap windbreakers you buy at Walmart. I have a good quality single ply Gore Tex jacket I use for backpacking that scrunches down to the size of a baseball. I wear that under the Alpinestars jacket instead.

Part of the reason I bought the Alpinestars jacket is fit. Joe Rocket jackets just didn't fit me very well. I am also impressed with the Alpinestars quality. Be careful, however, with Alpinestars sizing. I wear a Large jacket and XXL pants. I have a 34" waist. I guess Europeans are a lot skinnier than North Americans.
charly is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,673
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Maybe have a look at "Frank Thomas" stuff from England. Buy it at "Cycle Gear".
Ed
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
potus2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorthWest Arkansas
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Here's how I look at zip-in liners: This jacket has one but I rarely use it. In moderate rain in the short haul it does a good job of repelling rain without the liner. I put the liner in during colder weather to block the wind. The jacket lives up to its name and has good air circulation in hot weather.
Zip-in liners, however, are a pain in the a$$ to install. Those bloody tabs inside the sleeves are impossible to locate and, if you were to attempt to zip in the liner during a sudden rainstorm, you would be soaked to the skin by the time you got your jacket back on. Besides that, zip-in liners are no better than the cheap windbreakers you buy at Walmart. I have a good quality single ply Gore Tex jacket I use for backpacking that scrunches down to the size of a baseball. I wear that under the Alpinestars jacket instead.
I agree with you on liners, that's why I want a jacket that is weatherproof without one. There have been days on the road where I was in a constant downpour for hundreds of miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Maybe have a look at "Frank Thomas" stuff from England. Buy it at "Cycle Gear".
Ed
The Frank Thomas stuff is VERY waterproof. Very warm too, as the venting sucks. My wife got her Frank Thomas jacket and pants from Cycle Gear and it never let in a drop of water. Didn't let in much air in either though. Highly recommended for colder wetter climates. Not recommended at all for hot dry climates. I think she may have gotten the last stuff they had with a "made in England" tag. Everything else (even the same style) says made in China now.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
potus2012 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern Lower Michigan
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speed and Strength "To Hell and Back". It includes most of the features from the OP, and even has a built in hydration pack.
SZRimaging is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pretoria South Africa
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have a look at the lookwell touring jackets. Got all the bells and whistles seriously waterproof as well cheers H
Hammer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome