How many cyclists? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How many cyclists?

How many of you also ride mountain or road bicycles? I've been riding since I was 6 years old and have always owned a bike. Even when I got my first motorcycle in my mid-teens, I continued to ride. Got my first race bike (a primitive Panasonic) in '84, and my first mtn. bike the following year. I still have that one (a Giant Boulder), though I don't ride it much now, having replaced it with a Diamondback that's a lot lighter and that has better gearing. I have two race bikes as well, the original Panasonic that is on a long term loan to a friend, and a newer Diamondback that is my favorite ride. I competed in triathlons for several years, did some mtn. bike racing and still do the occasional century ride. The reason I ask is that I think that the skills that you gain from cycling really help make you more comfortable on a motorcycle. If you get used to sitting on the tiny seats of a race bike for a century ride, it makes it a lot easier to endure the long rides on your Vee too.
I have found that over the past year that I've neglected my regular bike training - it's just so easy to fire up the Kawa and hit the road instead. I've started doing daily rides on my mtn. bike up the mountain by our home again though and hope that this time I'll have the will power to keep it going. At my age, laying off has some really undesirable results...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Geeks unite!! I confess, 10 year Roadie, occasional XS rider. Got started doing MS rides, progressed to a Fuji Team in '99. My pride and joy now is an actual Tour de France Team bike (team Milram). Colnago Extreme Power, full carbon, full Durace, the works, very light, great ride. My longest ride-RAGRAII (Bike across Iowa) 3 times, fastest ride was the Tour of Missouri timetrial course(amateur ride) in 2008. I agree about the bike skills helping, except don't kid yourself, there is a ton of difference in carving a corner at 35 and trying it at 70! Be careful and be safe!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM

I rode 40 miles on my Road bike on Sunday for an Alzheimer's fundraiser. I rode 30 in to train for it 10 days ago. I ride a stationary bike at work to keep my girlish figure - so getting back on the Raliegh was no big deal. 40 miles - no aches pains or other mishaps - averaged 15 mph and that included 3 snack stops and a riding partner who was on a knobby -tread mountain bike (Kudos to her for averaging 15 mph on that resistance monster). Still love to ride 2 wheels of any type. Great way to stay in shape.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM

Uh, Bicyclebob. Roadie and Mtn Biker. Seattle to Portland every year, 206 miles, sometimes 2 days sometimes 1.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
Uh, Bicyclebob. Roadie and Mtn Biker. Seattle to Portland every year, 206 miles, sometimes 2 days sometimes 1.
HELL Bob,
I could do that on my "V" on just about 2/3s of a tank of 87 octane, and I .... OOOPS!
Ed
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
HELL Bob,
I could do that on my "V" on just about 2/3s of a tank of 87 octane, and I .... OOOPS!
Ed
Hey, this thread is for cyclists! No looking down the nose of your Versys at us Spandex clad nerds, please!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
Tell us (braggin accepted) about your ride(s) as in bicycles, BB.

My Album:
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:12 PM

Old stove pipe Cannondale with Dura Ace and Mavics, Redline Touring Bike with Ultegra, Full rigid single speed with 29's and a Stinky DeLuxe.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM

And your butt would feel the same as mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 PM

Raleigh Chopper, 40 miles on one of these and you know you have ridden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chopper-orange.jpg (47.2 KB, 214 views)

Kawasaki Versys 2008
Ducati 749
Ducati S4R Monster
Road Star 1700
KLX450R 2009 (CO 500 steed)
Kubota Tractor with belly mower
Yamaha TTR 125 E (the wifes)
Lambretta GP200
Zuma 50
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM

Pedal Power

54CM Pedal Force Carbon ZX3
Ultegra 10 speed STI Groupo
Nuevation R28 Wheel Set
Pedal Force Carbon seat post
16.8lbs

index_001.jpg

Motor Pace Vehicle

motor pace machine.jpg
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Daily cyclist on a Bianchi, wish I could say I really ENJOY it but, it sure beats running. Burns 600-1000 calories a ride and no busted joints. Just have to keep an eye out for the cars which typically don't have any idea on what the laws are regarding cyclists.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:25 PM

We are even more invisible than a motorcycle!

Share the road.

Ahh, bike geek venting

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Finding new places to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucker View Post
Daily cyclist on a Bianchi, wish I could say I really ENJOY it but, it sure beats running. Burns 600-1000 calories a ride and no busted joints. Just have to keep an eye out for the cars which typically don't have any idea on what the laws are regarding cyclists.
One thing I've found on my Vee rides is that there are still a lot of great roads to ride on my Diamondback. I've discovered some terrific roads here in the mountains with little traffic, smooth pavement and best of all, no aggressive pit bulls (something any rider needs to be aware of here in the sunny southland...)
I had a run-in with a dump truck a couple of years ago while training for the Hilly Hellacious. Though I was on a long straight with no oncoming traffic, the #$#^%%# still cut so close that the truck grazed my arm as it passed by. It made me so mad that I actually chased the lowlife. I knew that he was headed for a golfing community development and kept close until the last hill. By the time I crested it, he had made it inside the development and was with about 20 other identical trucks. It was probably a good thing, since I was mad enough to kill if I'd caught him. Dodging brain-dead cagers is something that all of us who ride two wheeled transport, whether it be motorized or not, have to deal with.
We're lucky to have hundreds of miles of good fire roads and single track for mtn. bikes nearby in the Pisgah National Forest and the Dupont State Forest. If I can only continue to tear myself away from the Vee on weekdays, I might consider doing the Hellacious again in August.

The Seattle to Portland ride would be a great one! I'd love to ride with Rainier on the skyline. Another ride I'd love to do is the dirt road up to Deer Park in the Olympics - I thought about renting a bike to do that one while backpacking there a couple of years ago.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM

Come on out!

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Bear on a Bicycle: ??

My Album:
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Just starting to ride again.

Picked up a Specialized Tricross and added some egg beaters to it. Average ride is around 7 miles, on a bi-daily basis. Yeah, I'm a wuss....

But more importantly, the stamina and leg strength that comes from cycling greatly increases your ability on a motorcycle, or so I hear.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM

The stable - Trek 520 bought in 2006.. over 4000 miles touring and commuting (i love this bike!) / 2007 Specialized Stumpy hard tail / 2008 Specialized Enduro SL Pro Carbon.. what an awesome fricken bike, unfortunately sold to support the Versys fund

I think cycling, and mountain biking in particular, are beneficial skill sets for motorcycling.

And, no spandex here.. I wear my mountain bike gear even when I'm rockin' the 520 ;-)
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 PM

long time cyclist myself. i have owned road bikes in the past (while also owning mtn bike) but never really liked them. i currently own 2 mth bikes. one for XC riding and one for more aggressive riding like at ski resorts and what not.

actually on june 13-14 i'm in a 24 hour race where i will ride about 6-7 hours of it on a team. that will be about 40 miles off road and there is alot of climbing.

the xc bike

the AM/FR bike

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Been cycling long before the motorcycle (I guess that was the only thing I could afford back then)

- Opus road cycle on Shimano 105
- K2 mountain bike (changed from a Specialized stumpjumper FSR - dont heal as fast as I used to)
- Strida A-frame folding bike (liked the design)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode