Didn't get the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Didn't get the Versys

I've been here quite a few times asking questions about moving from an '08 Ninja 250R to a V as the Ninja position hurt my lower back and knees. Every time I would read up on the V I thought it would be perfect.

However, every time I sat on one it all felt wrong. Plus, I never could warm up to the looks. Well, I think I found the next best thing, an '08 Yamaha FZ6. Got a great deal for the last one the dealer had. It's an I4 instead of a twin but the ride is just what I had hoped. No discomfort at all so far. Fast, comfortable and cool looking. I was not thrilled by the black color but it's really growing on me.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FZ6_sm.jpg (131.0 KB, 124 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 AM

Funny, I found the exact opposite. The FZ was pretty comfy, but the V fit me better. The major thing that turned me off the FZ was the motor. No matter what speed/revs you're at the motor felt absolutely dead/flat. I realize it has way more power than the V, but the way it delivers it is awful IMHO. It does look "cooler" than the V by sport bike standards, but it does just look like a jacked up sport bike.

As long as you're happy though, good!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Congradulations on your bike purchase. Enjoy the ride.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM

I almost laid down some jack for that bike before I bought the V. The reason I went with the V, is I wanted a thumper. The twin V, and it's deep throated sound is just plain sexy. I didn't want a inline 4, that revved to the moon. Both are nice bikes.

The twin V reminds me of the first bike I owned, a 1974 XR-75 bored out to a 105cc with a DG pipe.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM

That's a great bike; you will have a lot of great miles on it.

It's so hard deciding what bike to get isn't it? What might be great for someone else might not be great for you.

I think the most important thing about deciding what bike to get is if it matches your personality. And THAT is no less complicated than finding a soul mate.

And even then we look at the other side from time to time...fast and furious or slow and easy hmmmm

The answer? Win the lotto, buy one of every kind of bike

fitz
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
I almost laid down some jack for that bike before I bought the V. The reason I went with the V, is I wanted a thumper. The twin V, and it's deep throated sound is just plain sexy. I didn't want a inline 4, that revved to the moon. Both are nice bikes.

The twin V reminds me of the first bike I owned, a 1974 XR-75 bored out to a 105cc with a DG pipe.
If you got a Versys you still did not get a thumper nor a twin V. The Versys is a parallel twin. A thumper is a four stroke single cylinder.

Tim
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 AM

I know it's a inline twin, and it's a thumper to me. You are correct it's not a single cylinder. But it sounds like a thumper.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Hey Tim. Nice to "see" a familiar face over here.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM

Thos Yamahas are nice bikes, have fun with it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Do they have a forum? This one rocks!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM

When it comes to ergonomics most bikes require some tweaking. You probably could have adjusted things on the Versys to make it more comfortable. The main differences between these 2 bikes are the engines. So if you enjoy winding things up to get to the meat of the powerband then you made the right choice. Me, I like the power down low: right off idle the Versys pulls like a locomotive.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Another kudos can't hurt, right? Kudos on the FZ!! I have never heard anything negative about the fz-6 and glad to hear it from you as well. I know the FZ's are great bikes as I just came off of a 07 FZ-1. Bike had gobs of power but it delivered it in a very boring way and when it hit, it was WAY over the speed limit (though quite entertaining!). I'll bet the fun-o-meter will hit at a lower speed on the fz-6.

Have fun!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Another kudos can't hurt, right? Kudos on the FZ!! I have never heard anything negative about the fz-6 and glad to hear it from you as well. I know the FZ's are great bikes as I just came off of a 07 FZ-1. Bike had gobs of power but it delivered it in a very boring way and when it hit, it was WAY over the speed limit (though quite entertaining!). I'll bet the fun-o-meter will hit at a lower speed on the fz-6.

Have fun!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM

I had a FZ6 and supermoto bike before my V. The FZ6 definitely is a rocket and has decent comfort but didn't make any power until 7k. I preferred the supermoto style and the low end torque. I did like the little bit of wind protecting and magic E button on the FZ. I sold them both and bought the Versys. That FZ sure was sexy though.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Do they have a forum? This one rocks!
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/

Tim
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 PM

3 of my riding buddies have FZ6's and they love em. Insurance is affordable with those also. I was looking at them as well but ended up going with the V. I went for the riding position of the V, Low end torque, and the bike that was different and no one else I knew had. (Gotta be different you know)

Bottom line get the bike you want. The FZ6 is a great bike, have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode